Match report Vs Curzon Ashton Venue: Aggborough Date: 26-03-22 Att: 2032 (away fans: 15)

26-03-22 - Report - Kidderminster Harriers 5 Curzon Ashton 0

Curzon crushed as Harriers soar again

Report: Harriershane

The Harriers finally returned to winning ways as they swept aside a Curzon Ashton side who saw their outside play-off chance fade at a sunny Aggborough in front of another 2000+ crowd.

Joe Foulkes made his return from injury, replacing Geraldo Bajrami who has injury problems of his own, meaning that Alex Penny deputised at centre back. Our new loan signing Matt Stenson, signed on Friday lunchtime on loan from FC Halifax town, would have to wait for his Harriers bow as he started on the bench.

Forced into a switch at the toss, Harriers attacked the North Stand and those on the terrace managed to get a good view of the action which exclusively took place in the Curzon Ashton defensive half.

The first real chance came with a quarter of an hour played via a short corner routine that saw Ashley Hemmings and Omari Sterling-James combine, with the former’s drilled cross saved by Chris Renshaw, but only for another corner which was then headed over by Mark Carrington.

The former Wrexham AFC man tried his luck again moments later with a volley that dipped just wide.

The Harriers were knocking at the door and after twenty two minutes the door was breached. It was another corner that did it with a devilish delivery from Sterling diverted into his own net by Jordan Lussey despite the efforts of Craig Mahon to keep it out. He almost did, as well, with the linesman the man to give the decision.

The Harriers continued to pry and probe, looking to breach the Nash defence once more, with Sam Austin the next to test Renshaw who held an effort from the Harriers skipper.

A rare Curzon foray forward presented them with their first chance of the game courtesy of former Altrincham man Tom Peers, who saw his effort blocked by Alex Penny. For a moment, it looked like it may have looped over Luke Simpson but the ball settled on the roof of the net before the keeper was called into action himself, saving well to keep out a header from one of the gaggle of Nash bodies.

HT: 1 – 0

The half time break would prove to be the only respite that Adam Lakeland’s visitors would have as Harriers set about extending their lead immediately; Hemmings teeing up Keith Lowe from a free kick but the veteran’s header could only miss the target.

Joe Nolan, on loan from Blackburn Rovers, was able to send a cross/shot goalwards to be dealt with before it reached Simpson but the visiting threat was non-existent.

With fifty two minutes on the clock the Harriers should’ve doubled their lead after excellent play in midfield won the ball back before Austin scampered free and sent a cross in that was parried into the path of Hemmings with the goal at his mercy – unfortunately his connection was not true and he scuffed his close range effort wide.

Just short of the hour mark the lead was doubled and it was from another corner that the goal came; Amari Morgan-Smith the beneficiary as he planted a bullet header past Chris Renshaw who had absolutely no chance. Ten minutes later he nearly got his second after beating the Curzon defence to a ball but Renshaw was able to deny him.

There was no denying Morgan-Smith two minutes later though as a Harriers breakaway carved through the defence. The ball was cleared out to the Harriers forward, who held it up before releasing Austin, then Sterling who managed to find Hemmings. Unlike his earlier miss his connection was true on the cross, a flighted ball that hit its target, with Morgan-Smith planting another header past Renshaw for his second, and Harriers third, of the game.

Space had been opening up for Harriers since Marcus Poscha was taken off for Craig Hobson as Adam Lakeland looked to chase the game.

With five minutes to play three became four and a popular goal all around for those of a Harriers persuasion. Caught in possession around, thirty yards from goal, the visiting backline were unable to prevent Keziah Martin notching his maiden senior goal after the hard-working midfielder pressed, won the ball, drove at Renshaw and finished confidently.

Just before the board for added time went up Simpson was forced into a brace of top drawer saves, first with his legs and then his hands as Hobson looked to force home.

The five star performance was completed with practically the last kick of the game and another breakaway led once again by Sam Austin.

With substitutes Ethan Freemantle and Jaiden White in support, Austin led the three on a breakaway before feeding Freemantle just outside the box. The forward strode into the area and sent his shot goalwards. It was saved by Renshaw but the rebound popped up into the direction of Austin who slammed home with glee to complete the move he had started and top off a Harriers performance that was a massive improvement on recent offerings.

With AFC Fylde tripping up at Gloucester City in the James Rowe derby the Harriers have a great opportunity to stake their claim once more for that third place berth which brings with it a home semi final at the end of the season. 9 games to go…

FT: 5 – 0

Goals for Harriers: Lussey (og) 21, Morgan-Smith 58, 69, Martin 84, Austin 94

The Harriers Online MotM is: Amari Morgan-Smith

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
C Richards        
Morgan-Smith 74  
Hemmings   82  
Sterling-James   86  
Freemantle   86  
White   82  
Stenson   74  
Curzon Ashton Goals Subs Time Cards
J Richards        
Poscha   65  
Lussey Own Goal 73
Curran   73  
Whitham   73  
Dimaio   73  
Hobson   65  
Mr Sam Mulhall