Match report Vs Chorley FCVenue: Victory ParkDate: 24-10-20Att: 0000 (away fans: 000)

24-10-20 - Report - Chorley FC 0 Kidderminster Harriers 2

A Sterling-James brace sinks Chorley

Report: Harriershane

After last week’s enforced postponement due to the dreaded C-word in the Alfreton Town camp the Harriers made the trek up north to bogey team Chorley FC who have continued their downward spiral by losing all three games so far this season prior to this game.

Amari Morgan-Smith’s suspension was activated today, meaning that Ethan Freemantle would start up front with his place on the bench taken by the returning Luke Maxwell.

In a pattern not too dissimilar to the Darlington FC away game the Harriers were somewhat slow out of the blocks with The Magpies threatening often in the first ten minutes of the game; Harry Cardwell teeing up Mike Calveley who shot straight at Luke Simpson. The hosts then had a goal chalked off for a clear foul on Simpson from a corner  but Harriers were straight back on the defensive, Oliver Shenton sending an effort goalwards, with the former loanee denied only by an Alex Penny goal line clearance.

Harriers’ first attack of note came just after the quarter of an hour mark when Ashley Hemmings released Sam Austin who won a corner to signal the beginning of the Harriers-dominated period of the game. Hemmings would get a chance of his own when a superb crossfield ball from Omari Sterling-James was expertly controlled, but the effort was saved by Matt Urwin. The Chorley backline, and especially Scott Leather, were starting to be concerned and the relentless closing down of Freemantle was beginning to create chances as he was wiped out, earning the aforementioned Leather a caution.

Sterling-James’ free kick was straight into the wall before Calveley cleared the second ball in. Moments later Leather should perhaps have been sent off for bringing down Austin after Freemantle somehow managed to hold off two defenders to feed the former Burton man, but the referee adjudged the Harriers man to have simulated contact and therefore booked him instead. Leather was seemingly being targeted by Harriers but the ex Preston man saved his team when he turned a Penny effort wide from on his own goal line.

The goal would come with five minutes left to play in the first half. Sterling-James found himself crowded in the Chorley area but managed to create the smallest of gaps with which to work before sending a delicately poised chip goalwards and ultimately over Urwin and into the back of the net. A moment of magic.

You would be forgiven for thinking that Sterling-James and the Harriers were done for the half. Happily they weren’t as Austin released Freemantle who bore down on goal at an angle, drawing the keeper onto him, before squaring to the Harriers goalscorer. Despite needing two pokes at it, Sterling-James converted and doubled his tally for the day, sending Harriers into the half time break two goals to the good.

HT: 0 – 2

It seemed like the momentum built at the end of the first half would carry over into the second as the Harriers won an early corner but quite quickly the story of the second half was established. Chorley would throw everything at Harriers, kitchen sink included, with the visitors relying on a combination of luck, judgement and outrageous goalkeeping to stand firm.

With just seven minutes of the second half played, Elliott Newby lashed a half-volley wide before he would turn provider, with Harry Cardwell’s header striking the foot of the post.

As the hour mark approached Luke Simpson provided a moment of pure world-class quality goalkeeping. Cardwell’s cross found its way to Calveley, who was always dangerous in and around the area. This time he was around ten yards out with what appeared to be a simple enough finish. Simpson had other ideas though and charged his effort down, spreadeagled, before scrambling onto the rebound and taking out a team mate in the process. Top class, brave goalkeeping from the former York City man.

Manager Russ Penn reacted to the incessant Chorley pressure by switching to a back five, Hemmings the man replaced by Cliff Moyo. The home side kept pushing forward and Shenton scampered onto another long ball forward, anticipating the flick off Cardwell. He managed to poke an effort goalwards past Simpson, but the non-stop rain helped the Harriers as the ball stuck in the muddy pitch allowing Penny to clear off the line for the second time in the game.

A rare piece of respite came with around twenty five minutes to play as more industrious play from Freemantle allowed him to feed Austin, who couldn’t test Urwin low down.

With seventeen minutes to play the Harriers really should’ve made it three. It was Leather again with a bad touch and it was Sterling-James again who benefitted. Latching onto the loose ball, he strode forward with the goalkeeper rushing out to the edge of the box where Sterling looked to repeat his first goal, chipping the ball goalwards, but this time it could only settle on the roof of the net.

Chorley poured forward some more but never really tested Simpson as Harriers held firm and claimed a rare win over their hosts.

FT: 0 – 2

Goals for Harriers: Sterling-James 39, 46

The Harriers Online MotM is: Luke Simpson

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Chorley FC Goals Subs Time Cards
Baines   70  
Cardwell   85  
Reilly   59  
Rodwell-Grant   59  
Marah   85  
Conn-Clarke   70  
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Freemantle   77  
Hemmings   62  
Sterling-James 85  
Maxwell   85  
Arthur   77  
Moyo   62  
Mr Jonathon Urwin
Tyne & Wear