Match report Vs GatesheadVenue: International StadiumDate: 15-02-20Att: 1075 (away fans: 63)

15-02-20 - Report - Gateshead 0 Kidderminster Harriers 0

Another day. Another storm. Another good result

Report: Phil Lench

Another day. Another storm. Another good result.

Yes, it was a much improved Harriers on the road again today and to get this battling result at in form Gateshead was what we all wanted with the visit to Aggborough of York City next Saturday coming up. Storm Dennis was swirling around and it was always going to be a game of risk so we had to be strong defensively and try and keep loose balls to a minimum. We did that and also kept Gatesheads chances to a minimum too.

There was a quick return to the side for Ryan Johnson after he missed the midweek win at Farsley Celtic with a slight hamstring pull. Ashley Hemmings also returned in place of Ethan Freemantle too after a temporary drop to the bench on Tuesday evening.

With the wind starting to build it was the Harriers that got the game underway. Early chances for both sides were few and far between with Gateshead getting the better of the wind at their backs. A couple of chances for them went wide of the posts but there was nothing to unduly worry the Harriers keeper, Will Mannion, too much. Their best chance came in the fifteenth minute when Scott Barrow fired the ball across the face of the goal but, with the goal at his mercy, Greg Olley sent it just wide.

Our first chance came a minute later as we went up the other end and Ashley Hemmings came close to opening our account but the keeper, Bradley James, managed to save his shot through a ruck of players. To make sure the ball left his hands and he had to save it again.

Ashley Chambers had a chance too but his glanced header also went just wide of the post. Gateshead were forced into an early change before the kick was taken went Elliott Forbes picked up a knock and couldn’t carry on. Dominic Tear replaced him.

Our in form midfielder, Alex Prosser, was having to cope with plenty of attention from the Heed defenders trying to break his legs. Two of them went into the referees notepad within minutes of each other and on the stroke of halftime Olley dished out more attrition. It looked likely that the next one to give Prosser the same treatment would be getting a red version of the card so luckily for them that didn’t continue after the break.

Mannion came into his own after the first two bookings making some great saves that would keep us in the game. With the home side getting a grip they began to test our goal a little more. Chances fell for Olley, Ruairi Keating and Jordan Preston all bought the best out of our on loan keeper.

Our first real chance came on the half hour mark when Sam Austin forced James into a good save from a swerving ball that was heading home. Cliff Moyo also had a good chance to score but his shot, on the turn, went wide. 

HT: 0 – 0

The second half saw the Harriers with the slight advantage as they now had the wind with them. Oliver Shenton was the first to line a chance up but his shot from outside the area was easily collected by the Heed keeper. Alex Prosser, free from the extra attention, had his first chance to score but his volley from a Moyo cross went over the bar.

Fifteen minutes into the half and we made our first change when Shenton went off to be replaced by the more direct Ed Williams. His first task was to make his way through defenders to lay the ball off for for Moyo to take another chance but again the ball was skied over when it was probably easier to score.

Two chances for Ashley Hemmings followed that with them both being saved and then Chambers chipped in with a shot from the edge of the area that also got saved by James. That was a farewell effort from Chambers as he was replaced by Austin Samuels straight afterwards.

With time running out for the home side to claim a victory on their own turf they suddenly woke up. Thanks to Ryan Johnson though as he blocked Nicky Deverdics shot on the line and then the same player crossed the ball across the face of the goal towards the unmarked JJ O’Donnell. He slid in on the ball and, thankfully, failed to connect to it properly as the Harriers fans breathed a sigh of relief.

With the storm now coming in strong the game came to an end and with it a hard earned point for Russ Penns battling boys. The result sets us up nicely now for next Saturdays mouth watering game at home to second placed York City.

It promises to be good.

FT: 0 – 0

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Gateshead Goals Subs Time Cards
Forbes   20  
Barrow   32
O’Donnell   32  
Tear   20  
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Austin   92  
R Williams        
Chambers   82  
Shenton   61  
Samuels   82  
E Williams   61  
Davidson   92  
Mr Andrew Sykes
Lytham St Annes