Match report Vs York CityVenue: Bootham CrescentDate: 02-11-19Att: 2586 (away fans: 121)

02-11-19 - Report - York City 1 Kidderminster Harriers 1

Hemmings late goal gives Reds a deserved point

Report: Phil Lench

The Harriers came away from the rainswept city of York with a valuable point that helped to guide them back up towards the top half of the table where, on this excellent showing, we definitely should be. As it is we still languish down in fifteenth place but if our pressure had paid off with a little more composure in front of goal then we could have been up to, errr, fifteenth still. That shows how hard it is to climb the table now that we are deeper into the season.

There was just the one change to the team that played at Darlington on Wednesday night with, as expected, Rhys Williams out with that broken nose. Ed Williams came into the side in his place with, surprisingly, Milan Butterfield taking over the number four shirt. Milan struggled in his new role for the first twenty minutes but soon settled down and did a sterling job.

The Harriers started the game well, and continued throughout the game, with some super slick passing and a willingness to work for each other. Such was our skill on the ball at times York were left chasing shadows. It seemed that with every attack we could have scored if it hadn’t been for a slight unwillingness to take that extra step and put that extra amount of power behind the ball from some of our front runners. The official stats for the game gave us twenty three attempts on goal for the Reds compared to just five for the hosts. 

Ashley Hemmings was the first to show for us with a volley from the edge of the area that flew over the bar and he was to be our biggest threat throughout the game. Ed Williams had chances to score, if a little weak at times, along with some Declan Weeks shots that went over the bar and from Richard Peniket who plays too much with his back to goal and so denies himself the space to turn and shoot due to defenders being wise to him.

Both our full backs were making use of the space being given to them to put in some crosses but sadly the majority of them were collected by Peter Jameson in the City goal. The problem with full backs bombing on is that they can get caught out of position but the speed of both getting back is also important and that was achieved continually even against the likes of Alex Kempster with his pace.

It’s ironic then that the goal that gave them the lead in the thirty eighth minute was due to hesitant defending for Correy Davidson. His opposing defender, David Ferguson, collected the ball out wide and all it needed was for Correy to put a foot in to prevent him from crossing but he failed to do so and instead backed off him giving him time to cross into the area for Adriano Moké to nod the ball down for the the other full back, Kallum Griffiths, to stroke the ball home.

City gained confidence from that and tried to grab a second goal before the break but the Harriers stood firm and we went into the break a goal down against the run of play.

HT: 1 – 0

The second half was simply a continuation of the first and it seemed that City hadn’t come up with a plan to stop us while in their changing rooms. It took more chances to score for Ed Williams – dragged wide – and Ashley Chambers – took too long over shooting – for City to make the first change of the day in the less that ten minutes in. On came Keiran Green for Dan Maguire and at last the began to look dangerous.

That meant that our defence would have to raise their game with Cliff Moyo and Ryan Johnson becoming rocks and stopping the home side creating too much where it mattered. City did have their best spell of the game but without really testing Cameron Gregory in the Harriers goal.

On the hour mark Williams almost scored with a spectacular effort but his dinked ball over Jameson went went narrowly wide. Dec Weeks tried his luck from range but, leaning back too much, he sent his shot over the bar and almost out of the ground.

Green then forced Gregory into a great save as his powerful right footed drive had to be pushed behind but with ten minutes left to play the Harriers equalised. A cross from Correy Davidson was headed down by Peniket to Hemmings who tapped the ball home past Jameson.

A minute later and we could have taken a well deserved three points home with us when substitute Oliver Shenton, on for Chambers, tried his luck from the edge of the box. His left footed shot was almost there but went slightly wide of the goal.

With time running out for the home side they began to go for a winner of their own but again the Harriers defence held firm to deflect a Jordan Burrow wide for a corner and then similarly with a David Ferguson strike that got deflected behind as well.

We held out to the last and finished with a valuable, hard earned point that will surely set us up in good stead for the visit of Kings Lynn Town in three days time. The well earned point was also a good way for the Harriers fans and players to say goodbye to Bootham Crescent one last time and next season we could be playing them at their new ground on the Northern outskirts of the city if they fail to get promoted.

We won’t miss those toilets though.

FT: 1 – 1

Goal for York City: Griffiths 38

Goal for Harriers: Hemmings 81

The Harriers Online MotM is: Ashley Hemmings

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

York City Goals Subs Time Cards
Maguire   56  
Kempster   86  
Green   56  
McFarlane   86  
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
E Williams   89  
Chambers   78  
Hemmings 90  
Prosser   90  
Shenton   78  
Diau   89  
Mr Jon Kenny