FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round
Match report Vs Newcastle BenfieldVenue: Sam Smith’s ParkDate: 30-09-17Att: 403 (away fans: 80 est)

30-09-17 - Report - FA Cup 3rd Qual Rd - Newcastle Benfield 0 Harriers 1

Harriers make progress in the FA Cup

Report: Phil Lench

The Harriers moved seamlessly into the next round of the FA Cup with a strike from Joe Ironside that proved to be enough to win the game against Newcastle Benfield of the Northern League, three levels below us.

In typical wet Tyneside weather the Harriers started the game with the usual change of personnel after Dan Bradley failed to make the cut with a calf injury this time and James McQuilkin still not fully match fit following his injury. His absence meant that Ryan Croasdale took his place while Declan Weeks took on the number four shirt. The rest of the line-up was unchanged from recent weeks.

For the hosts they had the veteran battler Paul Brayson leading the line for them after a long career taking in Newcastle Utd, Cardiff City and Cheltenham Town.

It was the Reds that bossed the early stages of the game with half chances coming the way of Croasdale,  Fraser Horsfall, Elton N’Gwatala and Ironside with both of the latter forcing the Benfield keeper, Andrew Grainger, into top quality saves. For the hosts it was obvious that we wouldn’t be able to keep Brayson out for too long and he had two chances to open the scoring for his side but Brandon Hall dealt with both his efforts well.

Just before the halftime whistle came a low point in the game when Matthew Grieve collided with team mate James Novak and went down in agony. A loud ‘crack’ had been heard from the incident and, according to news later, it seems that Grieve had broken his leg. If so the deepest thoughts go out to him and we hope he recovers from it fully.

At the same time we substituted James Pearson with Sam Austin after James picked up a knock and was taken off as a precaution.

HT: 0 – 0

The second period saw the Harriers come out with a little more purpose and we had chances for Ironside, Croasdale and N’Gwatala going close. It could have been even closer if Grainger hadn’t been having such a good game between the sticks.

The longer the game progressed though the more likely it seemed that a single goal would settle the game one way or the other. It was another substitution for us that was to make the difference when Andre Wright came on for the quiet Manny Sonupè on the hour mark. It was his run to the byeline and a quick, sharp ball across the face of the goal that gave us the game when Ironside found himself well placed to divert the ball home beyond Grainger.

We had a scare soon after our goal when, if it wasn’t for the offside flag, Benfield could have drawn level. Brayson had picked a pass up from deep and from outside of the area he struck the ball home but luckily for us he had been in an offside position when he had received the pass.

The remainder of the game passed without any further incident as Benfield began to tire and the Harriers moved into the next round. The draw for the next round (4th qualifying) will be made at lunchtime on Monday and we can only hope for a draw a little nearer to Kidderminster please. Or maybe even at home.

FT: 0 – 1

Goal for Harriers: Ironside 67

Talk about the game here and phone the Harriers Hotline on 01905 577 777 after the game too

Latest table and stats here

The fans discuss the game at the end

Newcastle Benfield Goals Subs Time Cards
Scorgie   65  
Grieve   42  
Bowey   56  
Dummett   65  
Harrison   56  
Esdaille   42  
D Taylor        
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
J Taylor        
Pearson   42  
Sonupè   60  
N’Gwatala   68  
A Brown        
Wright   60  
McQuilkin   68  
Austin   42  
Mr Gareth Rhodes