Match report Vs Gloucester City Venue: Aggborough Date: 29-01-22 Att: 2334 (away fans: 122)

29-01-22 - Report - Kidderminster Harriers 0 Gloucester City 0

Harriers held to a disappointing draw

Report: Harriershane

Hovering just above the drop zone, Gloucester City travelled to Aggborough without a handful of key players whilst the Harriers boss Russ Penn was able to name the same starting side as last Saturday’s win over York City – meaning four changes were made from Tuesday night’s contest with Kettering Town.

The Harriers were invited to switch ends and the first attempt of the day came in front of the North Stand from Sam Austin. On the edge of the box he bent a shot goalwards which looked destined for the top corner but Jake Cole managed to make a top drawer save to palm the ball onto the crossbar. Harriers had started well, with Alex Penny the next to try his luck by sending a volley the ball just wide of Cole’s post.

Ashley Hemmings showed smart feet in the area to fashion himself a chance which was blocked, before turning provider for Geraldo Bajrami who saw a header cleared from near the goal line.

All this action came within the first twenty minutes or so before the game descended into a scrappy battle, which referee Oliver Mackey let continue. Amari Morgan-Smith was forced to battle hard against Ben Nugent, who’s tactic seemed to be to get his hands and arms as far into the forward’s face as possible without punishment. This was a theme that ran throughout the whole game, with the referee finally becoming wise to it with ten minutes to go in the game.

By then, it was too late.

HT: 0 – 0

It was a quiet first half, with The Tigers failing to roar, but early in the second half they nearly mauled themselves as Ben Gerring nearly turned a cross into his own net; Cole again alert to the danger.

They had a great chance to take the lead after fifty six minutes as a superb defence splitting through ball found Matt Green, looking to make it two goals in two games, denied only by a superb saving tackle from Matt Preston before he and Luke Simpson cleared the danger. Moments later Simpson was called back into action as the visitors breached the Harriers backline once more, Green again denied by Simpson’s legs.

The final quarter of the game took place almost exclusively in the Harriers attacking half, winning a number of corners but not really being able to test Cole. Marcus Dinanga – on for Omari Sterling-James at half time – tried his luck as the clock ticked closer to that ninety minute mark but his effort was off target, as was Austin’s latest effort with a couple of minutes left to play.

Despite five minutes of injury time being signalled the Harriers were unable to break the deadlock and were instead left to rue that Cole save in the first half, although they could take some solace that the point elevated them to third place after AFC Fylde’s defeat at home to Curzon Ashton.

Having said that, it certainly didn’t seem like five were legitimately played after Gerring received treatment on the pitch for a broken nose that took a couple of minutes. Less than a minute later referee Mr Mackey signalled the end of the game. Who knew?

With yet another game coming up before the West Ham game, at home against Leamington on Tuesday evening, are the tired legs beginning to show?

FT: 0 – 0

The Harriers Online MotM is: Matt Preston

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Redmond   63  
Sterling-James   46  
Dinanga   46  
Montrose   63
Gloucester City Goals Subs Time Cards
Gerring   96
Tomlinson   76
King   76  
Jeremiah   96  
Mr Oliver Mackey