Match report Vs Gloucester CityVenue: New Meadow ParkDate: 09-01-21Att: 0000 (away fans: 000)

09-01-21 - Report - Gloucester City 3 Kidderminster Harriers 2

The Harriers throw the lead away

Report: Harriershane

The Harriers, buoyed perhaps by the 2-2 draw on Tuesday night against York City, travelled to new surroundings on Saturday to take on leaders Gloucester City in a top of the table clash and also for one of only two games in the National League North to go ahead.

For Harriers Lewis Montrose was out injured after he limped off just before half time on Tuesday, meaning there was a recall for Omari Sterling-James whilst Jason Cowley was also handed his maiden start after his explosive impact the other night. It didn’t take long for the Harriers to get the upper hand in this one with Caleb Richards screwing a shot wide with three minutes played before the deadlock was broken with five minutes gone.

Sterling-James found himself with enough space on the left hand side to curl a dangerous inswinging cross into the area where Ethan Freemantle was stationed. The hard working youngster rose well to head home his first senior competitive goal.

A rare foray forward for the hosts saw Keanu Marsh-Brown crowded out before the lead was doubled. A half clearance from the Gloucester backline fell kindly for Luke Maxwell who outmuscled his man and laid the ball off to Sam Austin, who played a one two with Jason Cowley before firing a low effort past Rhys Lovett in the Tigers goal. Ashley Hemmings was soon to shank an effort wide following some intricate passing as Harriers looked to take full advantage of their superiority over the slowly starting hosts.

Indeed, it was nearly three when a defender slipped, allowing Sterling-James to bend an effort goalwards, not too dissimilar to his effort against Darlington earlier in the season. This time though his effort was off target.

Midway through the half Cowley glanced wide but one would expect Gloucester to get themselves back into the game and they duly obliged when Matt McClure squared the ball from the byline for Marsh-Brown to tap home from close range.

The Tigers’ tails were up now, and they nearly equalised just three minutes later, Marsh-Brown again involved as he forced Luke Simpson into a smart save. The former Forest Green Rovers man then sought to turn provider, looking to feed top scorer McClure, but Simpson again was alert to the danger.

As the half time whistle drew ever closer the Harriers very nearly restored their two goal advantage as Cowley, Keith Lowe and Maxwell all saw efforts blocked in an almighty scramble following a dangerous corner.

HT: 1 – 2

For many sitting at home the first blast of the referee’s whistle for the second half was the signal for the beginning of forty five minutes of nerves, such is the quality that Gloucester possess.

“Quality” was one of the many words used for Cowley’s equaliser on Tuesday, and the Bromsgrove Sporting loanee nearly topped that effort as he hit a vicious dipping volley goalwards from outside the box. Sadly though it dipped just wide with Lovett scrambling.

Sterling-James also tried his luck from range, dispatching a free kick over the wall but only into the arms of Lovett. Suitably poked the Tigers came roaring back with Ben Morgan heading off target from a corner before McClure fired over on the angle.

No sooner had Alex Prosser entered the fray to tighten up the midfield had the home equalised. Coventry City loanee Jack Burroughs took advantage of a 2 on 1 situation with Alex Penny to get in behind and deliver a superb cross into the area where McClure was lurking to slide home.

Harriers chances were at a premium with only a Maxwell header wide punctuating the ten minute gap between McClure’s equaliser and the brilliant strike that ultimately won the game for the hosts.

A cheap free kick given away by Prosser for an alleged push gave Gloucester’s second Coventry loanee, Jordan Young, the opportunity to lash a free kick goalwards from twenty five yards. It was an opportunity that he did not waste, leaving Simpson with no chance.

Harriers now had no choice but to try and chase the game, but the hosts stood firm, limiting Harriers to half chances from Cliff Moyo and Sterling. The final throw of the dice nearly yielded an equaliser as Prosser’s driven effort from range took a wicked deflection, wrong footing Lovett, but the ball would not drop in and instead skewed out for a corner that was duly dealt with comfortably.

Next up for us was supposed to be a WSC game at Stourport Swifts but, as usual, no info has been forthcoming from the club so in that case we could presume the game will be null and void due to the pandemic. If that’s the case then our next attempt to get back on track will be at home to Spennymoor Town at Aggborough next Saturday.

FT: 3 – 2

Goals for Gloucester: Marsh-Brown 29, McClure 63, Young 75

Goals for Harriers: Freemantle 5, Austin 12

The Harriers Online MotM is: Sam Austin

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Gloucester City Goals Subs Time Cards
Marsh-Brown 93  
Young 93
Robert   93  
Webb   93  
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Freemantle 63  
Hemmings   84  
Prosser   63
Arthur   84  
Mr Daniel Locker