Match report Vs Stockport CountyVenue: Edgeley ParkDate: 28-10-17Att: 3015 (away fans: 129)

Report - Stockport County 1 Harriers 2

Harriers battle to a 2-1 win at Stockport

Report: Harriershane

A hundred and twenty nine hardy Harriers fans made the trip up north to the wet and windy Edgeley Park in Stockport and the early team news gave cause for concern for those in various pubs near the ground. No James Pearson, no Dan Bradley, two lads from the under 23 side and Stockport being a notoriously tough place to go, a tough task that appeared to be doubly so.

As it was, Tyrone Williams moved to centre back with Sam Austin at right back. Andre Wright played out side and Joe Ironside once again ploughed a lone furrow up top. 

With the rain and wind swirling about it was the hosts who adapted the best and flew out of the traps, embarking on a near half-long stanza of domination. The most dangerous chance fell to Scott Duxbury, with James McQuilkin clearing off the line. Jason Oswell had a half chance and the dangerous Duxbury had a couple more opportunities either side of a yellow card for Elton N’Gwatala.

In truth it was turgid!

Then the goal. A hopeful punt downfield by keeper Ian Ormson was chased down by Matty Warburton. The Harriers custodian Brandon Hall came rushing out and lost the battle, the striker rounding him and gleefully dispatching his gift. For the visiting fans, it was difficult to see where we went from here. 

1-0 the score at the interval, and things could only get better couldn’t they?

HT: 1 – 0

Thankfully, things did get better. The wind stopped blowing, the rain stopped raining and Harriers looked a different team with more snap, undoubtedly aided by the introductions of Andre Brown for the ineffectual Andre Wright and Declan Weeks for the equally ineffectual Elton.

Weeks brought a composure to the midfield and Harriers grew stronger. The first real chance of the half came to Ryan Croasdale who smacked the bottom of the post with a low effort similar to his winner in the same fixture last year. The goal came moments later. Sam Austin with a ball in that was headed into the air at the front post with Ormson undecided, Joe Ironside gambling and getting up to win the header and sneak it in at the near post.

1-1 and game on.

Kidderminster went for their hosts now, Weeks crashing a thunderbolt just over, Brown volleying over and Manny Sonupè having an effort saved by Ormson. Stockport’s only real riposte was an effort from Oswell which was dealt with easily.

In the 84th minute Ben McKenna missed a good chance before Harriers went up the other end and nearly took the lead with a comedic turn of events; a scramble which saw Sonupè, Ironside and McQuilkin having stabs at the ball before a clearance hit Croasdale and the ball opting to settle on the roof of the net. Then came the winner.

A lovely inside through ball from Sam Austin released Sonupè who accelerated onto it before crossing hard and low for Ironside to finish expertly and send the travelling support into raptures. 

Despite reservations over the first half performance we know Edgeley Park is a tough place to go so this was a great result. Man of the match has to go to Joe Ironside who put in a manful display once again and got his just desserts.

Onto Fylde in the FA Cup now and let’s hope for another big win on the road.

FT: 1 – 2

Goal for Stockport: Warburton 45

Goals for Harriers: Ironside 58, 90

The Harriers Online MotM is: Joe Ironside

Talk about the game here and phone the Harriers Hotline on 01905 577 777 after the game too

Latest table and stats here

Stockport County Goals Subs Time Cards
Cowan   91  
O’Halloran    80  
Duxbury    92  
Walker    80  
Dixon    92  
Thomas    91  
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Sonupè    90  
N’Gwatala    52
Wright    57  
A Brown   57  
Weeks    52
Finch    90  
Mr Ricky Wootton