FA Trophy 2nd rd
Match report Vs Hereford FC Venue: Edgar Street Date: 23-11-21 Att: 1615 (away fans: 286)

27-11-21 - Report - FA Trophy 2nd rd - Hereford FC 1 Kidderminster Harriers 1 (3-5 pens)

Harriers beat the Bulls on penalties

Report: Harriershane

On a bitterly cold Saturday the Harriers travelled over to Hereford FC to take on The Bulls in an FA Trophy Second Round game.

There had been plenty of discussion in midweek as to what sort of side the manager Russ Penn would play in this game and we got our answer; predominantly strong but with a couple of changes. Geraldo Bajrami, Ashley Hemmings and Mark Carrington made way for Keith Lowe, Nick Clayton-Phillips and the returning Elliot Bonds. Also back in the matchday squad was Ethan Freemantle, after he had missed the Alfreton Town and Gloucester City games with a concussion related injury.

For Hereford there was a litany of former Harriers in the dugout and on the pitch – management team Steve Burr, Josh Gowling, former players Jared Hodgkiss, Brandon Hall, Yan Klukowski and James Vincent were all involved today against their former employers.

It was a quiet start to the game with no real chances presenting themselves. Sam Austin lifted a shot over the bar very early on whilst, for Hereford, the closest they came in the first quarter of an hour to a goal, or a chance, was when Tom Owen-Evans was flagged offside and decided to finish anyway. The Harriers backline had already seen the flag so were happy to let him carry on.

The breakthrough came in the eighteenth minute courtesy of Amari Morgan-Smith’s fifth goal of the season. Picking the ball up on the edge of the box he fashioned himself a little bit of space before firing a low effort past the despairing dive of Hall. That’s two in three for him now.

The Harriers settled into their usual pattern of controlling the game after taking the lead but chances remained at a premium throughout with only really another Austin effort and a speculative shot from Elliot Bonds the real action of note – both attempts were comfortably claimed by Hall. With a couple of minutes left until the break the hosts were level as Ryan McLean backheeled in from close range after an Owen-Evans corner found Krystian Pearce, whose thumping header was saved on the line by a combination of Luke Simpson and his defenders.

HT: 1 – 1

With the wind at their backs the Harriers played more direct in the second half with the Hereford centre halves seemingly unsure on how true the bounce of the ball would be – on numerous occasions Morgan-Smith was nearly on the end of these balls that Hall would ultimately claim. The second half was just five minutes old when top scorer Dan Smith was introduced in place of the invisible Zeli Ismail.

Smith was booked five minutes later for some handbags, as was Keziah Martin after he reacted to a challenge. Harriers made a pair of their own changes just after the hour mark as Sam Austin and Clayton-Phillips were replaced by Ashley Hemmings and Jaiden White.

It was the Harriers Academy graduate who was immediately into the action, cutting inside and firing a low shot goalwards which was palmed away by Hall.

Hereford had been on top in the second half, launching wave after wave of attacks as Harriers sought to repel them – ex Harrier Hodgkiss brought the ball across the area before feeding his fellow full back Luke Haines, who fired off target.

With thirteen minutes to play Omari Sterling-James was replaced by Ethan Freemantle as the Harriers sought to get the job done inside the ninety minutes, but perhaps they had one eye on what was to come.

Haines, again, would find himself in an advanced position but Luke Simpson was up to the task.

After five minutes of injury time the allotted ninety minutes were up and so we entered the most cruel – or rewarding – of lotteries. The dreaded penalty shoot out. Taken in front of the Hereford fans Harriers at least had the honour of shooting first. Ashley Hemmings was the designated man and, much like against Grimsby Town, he strolled up to the ball and sent Hall the wrong way.

Owen-Evans lashed Hereford’s well taken first penalty into the top corner before Morgan-Smith followed suit to restore Harriers’ advantage. Ryan Lloyd sent Simpson the wrong way to level the scores again. The third round of penalties saw Freemantle find the corner before Simpson threw up a hand to deny Dan Smith just to the right of centre of the goal.

Firmly holding the advantage the pressure was on Bonds to keep Harriers perfect. He did just that, with Maziar Kouyhar halving the deficit. The equation was now simple. If Harriers scored they were through. Up stepped Jaiden White, he lashed his penalty to the left as Hall dived right and through went the Harriers.

Five out of five and into the Third Round of the FA Trophy? That’s s-now joke! The draw is on Monday lunchtime. The game is on December 18th.

FT: 1 – 1

Goal for Hereford FC: McLean 43

Goal for Harriers: Morgan-Smith 18

The Harriers Online MotM is: Luke Simpson

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Hereford FC Goals Subs Time Cards
McLean 71  
Gordon   85  
Ismail   52  
Kouyhar   71  
Smith   52
Sodeinde   85  
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Austin   62  
Clayton-Phillips   62  
Sterling-James   77  
Hemmings   62  
Freemantle   77  
White   62  
Mr Greg Rollason