Match report Vs Kettering TownVenue: Latimer ParkDate: 26-08-19Att: 911 (away fans: 200)

26-08-19 - Report - Kettering Town 3 Kidderminster Harriers 5

Harriers hit five in the baking Bank Holiday sun

Report: Harriershane

Football in the baking Bank Holiday sun. What could be better?

Following on from Saturday’s defeat to Chester, John Pemberton’s threadbare squad, minus the injured Declan Weeks, embarked on the short journey to Latimer Park, the temporary home of Kettering Town and the renewal of a historic rivalry. For the hosts, managed by Nicky Eaden, former Harrier Daniel Nti got a start whilst ex-Arsenal trainee Joe Skarz was in at centre back.

Harriers saw just one change from the weekend; the injured Declan Weeks replaced in the eleven by Alex Prosser. Two new additions to the bench saw Ethan Freemantle and Jaiden White become part of the sixteen with both getting on the pitch in the second half.

The Latimer Park pitch was incredibly tough and uneven, making playing the ball a thankless task at times. In an attempt to adjust the Harriers employed a more direct gameplan, but lacked the support from midfield to make it work effectively. As such it was the home side who controlled the first half.

After just three minutes Cliff Moyo sliced a clearance which Cameron Gregory had to catch on the line. The Shrewsbury loanee was called into action again almost immediately saving well from Nti who had been slipped through. Marcus Kelly also tested the Harriers keeper before the visitors had their first look at goal – a header glanced wide by Richard Peniket from a Correy Davidson cross.

With eighteen minutes gone The Poppies deservedly took the lead and it was a familiar weakness that did for Harriers – a corner. It was met by Sam Cartwright who headed home unmarked. The home side were a threat from corners all half, with another Lindon Meikle delivery causing all sorts of issues, this time Joel Carta wasting a chance.

A turgid first half performance from Harriers surely could not be repeated in the second half. Could it?

HT: 1 – 0

The Harriers manager, John Pemberton, made a change at half time withdrawing Prosser and introducing Harry Higginson in his place, with Davidson taking on a more offensive position on the left side of midfield.

The Harriers were immediately brighter with Peniket winning a corner. Ed Williams delivered it but Ryan Johnson’s header was on target but hooked away. Peniket was in the thick of it again heading over when teed up by Chambers who had got in behind. In truth, it was a difficult chance as the frontman arrived at a fair rate of knots to meet the cross.

Arguably against the run of the play in the second half the Poppies doubled their lead from another corner. This time it was Joe Skarz who turned the ball home.

You would be forgiven for thinking that the three points would be staying in Burton Latimer. Enter ridiculousness, chaos and pure theatre. Jaiden White came on for Davidson with a half hour left to play and with sixty five minutes played the Harriers halved the deficit.

Industrious play down the right by Sam Austin saw him cross the ball into the front post area where Chambers got across his man and powered a header past Paul White. Game on. Five minutes later the game was level and would you believe it, from a corner!

A good delivery from Ed Williams found the onrushing Cliff Moyo who planted an unstoppable header into the back of the net. No sooner had the Harriers fans begun to wind down their celebrations had Kettering brought them back down to earth. Another cross into the box this time found Connor Kennedy who guided the ball into the bottom corner from the far post. The lead only lasted two minutes though!

The fourth goal in ten minutes saw the game swing back level. A foul out wide, near the halfway line, resulted in a free kick that Ed Williams floated into the area towards Peniket. Paul White came but was left stranded as the former Fulham frontman glanced home his maiden Harriers goal.

The end to end nature of the second half did not relent as Town sought to get back in front. They were unable to do so and with eighty seven on the clock the Harriers turnaround was complete.

Unable to clear their lines the Town defence headed into the path of Milan Butterfield twenty five yards out. The Bermudan struck it on the volley and his effort took a wicked deflection which deceived White and rolled into the back of the net to send the Harriers contingent behind the net wild with joy, and dare I say it, sheer disbelief.

Five minutes of added time were indicated and the eight goal thriller was decided in the ninety second minute. Higginson looked to clear his lines and, in doing so, attempted to play Chambers in over the top. Skarz misjudged the flight of the ball and his header went back towards his own goal. Chambers was on it in a flash and guided it past the onrushing White with the outside of his boot and span past the goalkeeper to ensure the ball crossed the line.

I think the famous quote is “Football. Bloody hell!”

FT: 3 – 5

Goals for Kettering Town: Cartwright 18, Skarz 57, Kennedy 73

Goals for Harriers: Chambers 66, 92, Moyo 71, Peniket 75, Butterfield 87

The Harriers Online MotM is: Richard Peniket

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Kettering Town Goals Subs Time Cards
P White        
Milnes   76  
Nti   84  
Kelly   69  
Richens   76  
Nimely   84  
A O’Connor        
Hodge   69  
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Davidson   64
R Williams      
Prosser   46  
E Williams   92  
Freemantle   92  
Higginson   46  
J White   64  
D Lowth        
Mr Matthew Corlett