Match report Vs Spennymoor TownVenue: Wetherby Rd, HarrogateDate: 17-04-18Att: 415 (away fans: 80)

17-04-18 - Report - Spennymoor Town 1 Harriers 1

Harriers close the gap on Brackley with a draw against the Moors

Report: Phil Lench

The Harriers ended up with a draw against Spennymoor Town this evening after taking a second half lead through an Elton N’Gwatala wonder goal. Moors salvaged a point later on with a penalty but with third placed Brackley losing at home for the second game running we still gained a point on them and are now five points behind but they have a game in hand on us.

This game was originally planned to take place at Spennymoors Brewery Field ground but with it being waterlogged yet again the FA ruled that, like other games last week, that it would have to be played at Harrogate. That suited us better with our brand of pure football than trying to pass the ball on a ploughed field hence the starting of Manny Sonupè with him better suited to a quality pitch.

Back in the side was Lee Vaughan following the end of his suspension while his counterpart on the other side of the pitch, Joel Taylor, returned from injury but was on the bench. Still missing from the side were the injured pair of James Pearson and Dan Bradley. 

A cagey start to the game saw plenty of probing from both sides as they went in search of a goal. It was the Harriers who did that with Joe Ironside flicking a header into the arms of the Moors keeper Daniel Lowson after N’Gwatala had headed Lee Vaughans cross on to him. Two minutes later we thought we had taken the lead but the offside flag was up just as Sonupè turned to celebrate.

It took Spennymoor a further twenty minutes before they got a sight of goal when Andrew Johnson put their first decent cross over Brandon Halls bar. The ‘home’ side were now beginning to settle down and began to pressure us more with Mark Anderson taking a shot the Hall was equal too while later on a free kick after Sonupè was fouled was sent over the bar by James McQuilkin from twenty five yards out.

Sam Austin was the next to try his luck but Lowson was in charge and collected the ball cleanly. Just before half time the Moors should have taken taken the lead but thanks to a great Brandon Hall save from Andersons volley from the edge of the area. 

HT: 0 – 0

Another slow start saw both sides probing again for the first ten minutes of the second half. A McQuilkin free kick for us saw N’Gwatala fire goalwards but cleared away by Spennymoors defence while our defenders did likewise when they stopped Johnsons drilled effort going through.

Joe Ironside had a couple of chances to score with the best of those being a shot across the keeper that went out beyond the upright and the other a shot that got deflected away for a corner. Two minutes later and we had taken the lead with a stunning Elton N’Gwatala strike from fully thirty yards out from goal. The ball rising, then dropping as it went in off the underside of the bar.

The goal didn’t seem to put Spennymoor off though and they responded with two chances for Glen Taylor that Hall held well. We could have extended our lead through Sonupè when his pace took him round their keeper only to find his way blocked by Jamie Curtis on the line. The blacked ball went back to Manny but he couldn’t control it enough to get anything on it and the chance was gone.

Again Ironside got a shot in and again Spennymoor were throwing bodies on the line to stop the ball entering the net. This time another N’Gwatala through ball had set him up but a split second hesitancy was enough to get the cover back. From that the ball went up the other end and from that they scored.

Mark Anderson found himself having his shirt pulled by Ryan Croasdale and the referee had no option but to point to the spot but didn’t book the Harriers man for the offence. Up stepped their leading goalscorer Glen Taylor to take it and sent it in via the upright.

With both sides seeming happy at that – or just plain exhausted – the game was played out with both sides having chances but not convincingly. Ironside sent a header wide of the target and soon after his header from a free kick went over the bar while for Spennymoor they seemed happy just to contain and cope with us.

We’re away from home again this Saturday with our penultimate game before the play-offs start. Relegated North Ferriby is the destination and hopefully a nice three points to come home with.  

FT: 1 – 1

Goal for Spennymoor: G Taylor 73 (pen)

Goal for Harriers: N’Gwatala 57

Talk about the game here and phone the Harriers Hotline on 01905 577 777 after the game too

Latest table and stats here

Spennymoor Town Goals Subs Time Cards
Mason   36  
G Taylor      
Johnson   79  
R Hall   36  
Lowe   79  
Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
B Hall        
L Vaughan        
N’Gwatala 81  
Sonupè   70
N Vaughan        
A Brown   70  
J Taylor   81  
Mr John Matthews