Match report Vs AFC Telford Utd Venue: Aggborough Date: 13-11-21 Att: 2244 (away fans: 220)

13-11-21 - Report - Kidderminster Harriers 3 AFC Telford Utd 0

The Harriers continue their climb up the table

Report: Harriershane

Following last week’s brilliant FA Cup win over Grimsby Town it was back to the National League North for Russ Penn and the Harriers. On paper a local derby is always a tough affair but the formbook combined with the visiting team news meant that confidence was rife amongst the Harriers faithful.

For Penn Geraldo Bajrami was available after suspension and the former Birmingham City man slotted straight back into the team at the expense of Keith Lowe. For Dennis Greene’s Bucks side, where does one start? Full back Kevin Berkoe was recalled by Salford City, only to not feature in their matchday squad. Saul Shotton and Theo Streete, both centre halves, were suspended whilst Dominic McHale and Elliott Durrell both beat fitness tests; the former started and the latter made an appearance in the second half.

It’s fair to say the visitors are in poor form with seven defeats in their last ten games in all competitions, and only one point has been obtained on the road. Perhaps unsurprisingly then it was Harriers on the front foot early on after Sam Austin forced a corner following a wayward Adam Walker pass. Keeper Russell Griffiths claimed the ball on this occasion. Another corner was forced before the game was ten minutes old as Omari Sterling-James saw an effort deflected wide.

Alex Penny was again a useful outlet on the right and he got involved in winning corners, as did Ashley Hemmings who saw a shot from range deflected wide. On corner taking duty today he managed to find Geraldo Bajrami with his latest attempt but the returning defender could only guide his header over the bar.

The Bucks had barely shown an ability to buck their recent losing trends, as it were, as Harriers simply continued to come forward, control possession and create opportunities – this time Caleb Richards bent an effort off target with twenty minutes played.

Two minutes later it really should’ve been 1-0 as tenacious play from Sterling-James under pressure allowed him to release Richards, who squared it for Hemmings who was lurking on the penalty spot. His effort was fierce, yet true, but somehow Griffiths was able to throw a hand onto the ball to force it over the bar.

The goal was coming, and eventually it did. With twenty six minutes played the Harriers forced yet another corner and Hemmings’ delivery was pinpoint, with Alex Penny rising imperiously to meet it and thump a header past Griffiths who was left stranded.

Straight from kick off a stray pass found Sterling-James who drove forward looking to land a second blow to the visitors but his effort skewed into the side netting before forcing Griffiths into a save on the half hour mark. That was a warning as to what was about to come though as with twelve minutes left in the half Harriers doubled their lead and deservedly so.

As he so often does, Bajrami won possession midway in the Harriers half and strode forward with the ball before finding Richards with a superb through ball. His cross to the back post found Hemmings who rose highest to plant his header past Griffiths, finding the top right corner.

Dennis Greene’s side did manage to muster an effort on goal, if you could call it that, as Jason Oswell’s header forlornly dropped wide of Luke Simpson’s goal.

HT: 2 – 0

One of the visiting army of loanees, Cameron Antwi, made way at the break as Elliott Durrell came on looking to inject a creative spark into the trailing visitors.

Despite starting with a little more purpose than in the first half the Bucks soon found themselves on the back foot once more – Richards again in a good position but heading over.

Approaching the hour mark Sterling-James was again trying to get his name on the scoresheet but again was thwarted by Griffiths. The second half Telford resistance, as it were, was broken after a crunching challenge on Penny by Zak Lilly who was booked. Sterling-James went for goal, forcing Griffiths into a save and Kory Roberts into an acrobatic clearance.

The on loan Bromley man didn’t get much distance on it and Griffiths’ attempted punch didn’t travel far either with Nathan Cameron on hand to smash the ball into the roof of the net to put the result beyond all reasonable doubt.

With twenty minutes to play Telford had a rare sight at goal with Durrell’s rasping effort going wide after Oswell had swiped unsuccessfully at the ball. They did end the game in the ascendancy somewhat, forcing a couple of corners which never unduly worried Luke Simpson.

The three points gaine today has given us a big jump up the table from ninth to fourth due to a smattering of negative results for clubs above us. Alfreton Town, Leamington and Boston Utd all lost while points were shared between AFC Fylde and Brackley Town. It’s Alfreton that we face next and we venture there next Saturday in search of three points once again.

FT: 3 – 0

Goals for Harriers: Penny, Hemmings, Cameron

The Harriers Online MotM is: Ashley Hemmings

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Penny 86  
Austin   75  
Morgan-Smith   70  
Martin   86  
Freemantle   70  
J White        
Clayton-Phillips   75  
AFC Telford Utd Goals Subs Time Cards
R White        
Ravenhill   65  
Bange   74  
Antwi   46  
Durrell   46  
Williams   74  
Bood   65  
Mr Richard Holmes