Match report Vs Farsley Celtic FC Venue: Aggborough Date: 11-01-22 Att: 1842 (away fans: 13)

11-01-22 - Report - Kidderminster Harriers 2 Farsley Celtic FC 1

After the Cup excitement it’s back to the league with a win

Report: Harriershane

Fresh off their headline making FA Cup exploits at the weekend the Harriers were quickly back on to the Aggborough pitch to take on a struggling Farsley Celtic side sitting second bottom of the National League North.

Both sides made changes; Russ Penn opting to hand Joe Foulkes and Ethan Freemantle starts whilst the visitors were without the likes of Dave Syers, James Hanson and Tyler Walton, meaning a debut had to be handed to Oliver Broe whilst the bench had a young look to it. The youthful Celts took the lead in the fifth minute through Jerome Greaves’ strike before Mark Carrington pulled Harriers level just before the break. The winner came through an excellent piece of skill from Ethan Freemantle before Tom Allan saw red for preventing Ashley Hemmings from surely putting the game beyond doubt.

The Aggborough faithful had barely taken their seats when the Harriers could’ve taken the lead – a hopeful ball over the top was chased down by Freemantle who managed to touch it past the onrushing Kyle Trenerry. His effort from the edge of the box was wayward though and went over the roof of the stand. Despite a Sam Austin effort moments later, where he fired over after the Celtic defence backed off, Harriers found themselves behind.

A ball into the box was knocked down by Allan with Jimmy Spencer smartly diverting the ball into the path of Greaves who fired powerfully past Luke Simpson for his first goal for the club.

Comically this led to periods of time wasting from the visitors, even at that early stage, with the referee seemingly nonplussed about it. The Harriers continued to control the game though but with a blue wall placed between Trenerry’s goal and the Harriers attacks. To Farsley’s credit, at this stage, Harriers had failed to really fashion a clear cut chance with moves seeming to peter out through poor decision making as much as creditable defensive intervention.

Just as Reading had scored a fortunate goal in the dying embers of the first half on Saturday the Harriers followed suit from an unlikely source. A set piece into the box looked dangerous, and after a bit of pinball, the ball was lashed home by Mark Carrington for his second goal of the season. The Reds didn’t deserve to go into the break behind, so in that respect, a draw at the break could be considered fair although Harriers had obviously been the better side without threatening to get out of first gear.

HT: 1 – 1

Keith Lowe replaced the booked, and possibly injured, Nathan Cameron at half time with Russ Penn perhaps wary of the influential defender picking up a second yellow with a packed January schedule ahead. Geraldo Bajrami picked up a booking for a scruffy foul on the edge of the box with Chris Atkinson firing the resulting free kick powerfully but straight at Simpson.

Moments later Harriers had a fully deserved lead and what would ultimately be the winner. Freemantle held the ball up on the edge of the box before spinning Adam Clayton, taking two defenders out of the equation, before slotting coolly past Trenerry.

With a feeling that more goals would be forthcoming, should they wish to avail themselves of the opportunity, Harriers continued to push with Freemantle firing over as did Caleb Richards, who wasn’t far away at all with a rasping twenty yard strike.

Farsley forays forward were few and far between, but often enough to serve as warning shots – Simpson needing to be aware to thwart Luke Parkin. Just after the hour the returning Foulkes, who had improved in the second half, was played in behind in typical Foulkes fashion pre-injury; his driven cross-come-shot hitting the post with Harriers not benefitting from the rebound.

With twenty minutes to play Foulkes was replaced by Alex Penny, who didn’t hang around in getting involved in the forward play, sending a powerful drive from range goalwards but wide. There was also a short run out for our new loan signing from Altrincham, Marcus Dinanga, but it would be Hemmings involved in the next flashpoint.

Committing men forward Farsley were left exposed at the back as Harriers regained possession and broke with pace. Bearing down on goal, twenty yards out, Tom Allan hauled down Hemmings leaving referee Jonathan Maskrey with no option but to hand the former Alfreton Town defender his marching orders. The Harriers winger almost exacted his perfect revenge but the free kick struck the foot of the post.

Content with the 2-1 scoreline, against ten men, the Harriers proceeded to see the remaining few minutes out and maintain the gap to leaders Brackley Town, who squeezed past Kettering Town by a single goal tonight.

The long trip to Darlington FC awaits on Saturday, with improvement needed, but after the weekend’s exertions and all that has come with it a comedown of sorts was inevitable. Fortunately, our comedown still yielded three points.

FT: 2 – 1

Goals for Harriers: Carrington 45, Freemantle 50

Goal for Farsley Celtic: Greaves 5

The Harriers Online MotM is: Ethan Freemantle

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Foulkes   70  
Cameron   46
Sterling-James   80  
Penny   70  
Lowe   46  
Dinanga   80  
Farsley Celtic FC Goals Subs Time Cards
Mr Jonathan Maskrey