Match report Vs Chester FCVenue: AggboroughDate: 06-10-20Att: 0000 (away fans: 000)

6-10-20 - Report - Kidderminster Harriers 1 Chester FC 2

A fiery game sees Morgan-Smith sent off

Report: Harriershane

Following their FA Cup hopes being washed away at Alvechurch the Harriers began their National League North campaign in earnest with the visit of play-off hopefuls Chester FC.

Boasting former Harriers Declan Weeks, Joel Taylor and George Waring in their side, The Seals, managed by former Salford duo Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley, came into the game on the back of a late showing against Worksop Town coming from 2-0 down to win, in part, thanks to a brace from makeshift striker Danny Livesey who returned to his natural centre half position tonight.

For Harriers, Cliff Moyo and Luke Maxwell were still injured, whilst Jim Kellermann was on co-commentary on the inaugural streaming effort.

Slightly slow out of the traps the Harriers almost fell behind early on as Livesey headed Brad Bauress’ corner over the bar. In their first real move of substance though the home side had the ball in the net. Good play by Amari Morgan-Smith enabled him to swing a teasing ball into the box which was touched home deftly by Ashley Hemmings. Sadly though, he was adjudged to have strayed offside.

Both sides then traded relatively harmless efforts from range with Sam Austin and Danny Elliott trying to work their respective opposition.

Elliott would not have to wait long though to open his account for this league campaign. With twenty three minutes played the visitors managed to create an overload against Alex Penny. John Johnston and Joel Taylor combined with a one-two, with the latter putting in a ball that appeared to be just behind Elliott, but the frontman expertly guided the ball past Luke Simpson in the Harriers goal.

The Harriers response was excellent though, as the Chester lead lasted only six minutes. The ball was worked up to AMS around thirty yards from goal. The striker was pulled down by the defender, but sensing an opportunity, Alex Prosser reacted quickly and forced the referee to play the advantage. He swung the ball out wide to Omari Sterling-James who then supplied Hemmings with a ball with the outside of his boot. This time, there would be no denying the former Wolves man who crashed home with aplomb.

A competitive game, one felt that it would develop into a keenly contested affair, before the main flashpoint of the game. With eight minutes to go before halftime, AMS and Livesey challenged aerially for a nothing ball. Following a delay the Harriers man was then sent off.

Conjecture was for some kind of flailing arm, before it was alleged at half time that dissention was more of a reason. We await the fallout from that, but we can probably look at a minimum of three games out for AMS. Yellow cards were also dished out to both benches following a fracas as the game reached, and positively passed, boiling point.

HT: 1 – 1

With their numerical superiority it was expected that the visitors would look to start strong, which they looked to do; Elliot once again dangerous but denied by Luke Simpson. It wouldn’t be long though, before they got what would be the winner.

A poor defensive clearance by Keith Lowe found Weeks just inside the box and on the angle. As the scriptwriters would have it, the midfielder, playing further forward tonight, lashed an unstoppable effort past Simpson at his near post. Now, isn’t that typical?

Harriers were not out of the game though and the visitors presented them with a golden chance to draw level for the second time. Lax play at the back saw a loose ball played into the path of Sam Austin who charged towards goal. Sadly, his decision making let him down, as did his touch, and the defence got back to scramble away. Was that the chance?

Moments later Paddy Lacey saw red for an out-of-control two footed scissor challenge on OSJ in the middle of the park.

With fourteen minutes left to play Jaiden White entered the fray, replacing Austin, with Ethan Freemantle replacing goalscorer Hemmings nearly ten minutes prior. White was immediately into the action, forcing Livesey into a game block before Chester entered park the bus mode, kicking the ball away and wasting time.

With eighty eight minutes on the clock came the moment Harriers would surely equalise and it was that man White in the thick of it. Fashioning space out of nothing the teenager struck a low effort which forced Louis Gray into an excellent reaction save. The rebound fell nicely to Freemantle with the goal gaping, only to be denied by the sliding torso of Livesey.

Harriers would still find time for one more “one last chance”, with Prosser sending an effort goalwards that appeared to bounce up and off a defensive arm for what would be the last play of the game.

FT: 1 – 2

Goal for Harriers: Hemmings 28

Goals for Chester FC: Elliott 22, Weeks  57

The Harriers Online MotM is: Omari Sterling-James

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
M Taylor      
Austin   76  
Hemmings 67  
Freemantle   67  
White   76  
Chester FC Goals Subs Time Cards
J Taylor        
Johnston   74  
Elliott 82
Bauress   74  
Dudley   74  
Roberts   82  
Waring   74
Mr Greg Rollason