Match report Vs York CityVenue: AggboroughDate: 05-01-21Att: 0000 (away fans: 000)

05-01-21 - Report - Kidderminster Harriers 2 York City 2

Harriers hit back with a Cowley scorcher

Report: Harriershane

Tuesday night’s visitors to Aggborough were York City, one of the pre-season title favourites, fresh off their one week break following the postponement of their game on Saturday.

For those looking for “narrative” you could take your pick: Harriers manager Russ Penn played under Minsterman boss Steve Watson at Gateshead, whilst Lewis Montrose, Luke Simpson and Keith Lowe are, of course, former York players. Talking of players Penn opted for the same again, meaning that Jason Cowley would again have to make do with a place on the bench.

Perhaps feeling the benefit of that elongated break York flew out of the traps and took the lead inside three minutes; Olly Dyson being played in by Jack Redshaw, allowing the former to slide a ball across the box for the onrushing Michael Woods to tap home from close range.

Looking to respond, the Harriers’ first real adventure forward came in the form of an Ashley Hemmings cross but the ball dropped wide after it evaded the supporting cast. The well-travelled winger was in the thick of the action once more mere moments later, feeding Caleb Richards on the overlap. The Norwich City loanee’s cross found Sam Austin just inside the penalty area but he could only fire over the top.

Harriers would then have some half-hearted appeals for a penalty waved away, after Ethan Freemantle turned his man and went down.

The visitors looked to reassert themselves in the game, causing some havoc from a Robbie Tinkler throw, before Jack Redshaw seized onto Luke Simpson’s poorly struck free kick, attempting a lob from fully forty five yards. Fortunately for the hosts Simpson was able to backpedal and claim comfortably, sparing his blushes in the process.

The former Salford City man very nearly got another chance moments later but Dyson’s ball was just behind him.

At points, Harriers were somewhat lax in possession and were again fortunate to avoid punishment, this time a Scott Barrow cross was fizzed wide. With six minutes before the break Redshaw would again see an effort blocked, this time a header after Woods had got the better of Lowe.

Two minutes later, and against the run of play, the Harriers were level and it was the veteran of 92 games for the visitors who got it. A Harriers corner was played short by Hemmings, allowing Austin to hang a teasing ball up towards the far post, deceiving Pete Jameson enough to leave Lowe with an empty net. From a few yards out he was never going to miss.

Harriers were dealt a blow just before the break when skipper Lewis Montrose limped off injured. He was replaced by Omari Sterling-James.

HT: 1 – 1

The York City start to the second half was slower than their first half start as it took them six minutes to take the lead this time.

A hopeful cross on the break was adjudged to have hit the hand of Cliff Moyo, admittedly with very few bodies in the box, but the eagle-eyed official was steadfast in his judgment; dead ball specialist Sean Newton smashing home his second penalty of the season, and his sixth in the league.

In a pattern not too dissimilar to the first half the goal gave way to more concerted York pressure: Redshaw curling off target from range before Jake Cassidy tested the Harriers backline with a dangerous cross which was touched away by Lowe.

The Harriers, running out of time, took advantage of the visitors dropping deeper and looked for their second equaliser of the day with Hemmings and Austin both seeing efforts blocked before Freemantle headed over a Hemmings cross.

The equaliser did come and what a strike it was but its construction was basic at best as Lowe launched a ball forward and what happened next was nothing short of exquisite. Freemantle expertly directed the ball into the path of substitute Jason Cowley who came onto the ball and unleashed a fizzing half volley that flew past Jameson from twenty yards out to give him absolutely no chance.

It was certainly a fine way for the Bromsgrove Sporting loanee to open his, for now, temporary Harriers account. The momentum shift was cemented following the goal and Harriers very nearly won it after the ball had been given away in midfield by York as Sterling-James scampered onto a stray pass and fed Cowley. Under pressure from a defender bearing down on him, the goalscorer looked to repay the favour, and feed Freemantle, but the ball was a fraction too heavy and Jameson could gratefully gather it up.

Up next for the Harriers is a trip to league leaders Gloucester City, who sit six points clear having played two games more. What is certain is that they will be without the services of loanees Tahvon Campbell (Cheltenham Town: 3 (2), 2 goals) and goalkeeper Louie Moulden (Manchester City, 7 games) following the expiration of their loan spells as well as a more familiar name, Liam Daly, following his sending off against Leamington on January 2nd.

FT: 2 – 2

Goals for Harriers: Lowe 41, Cowley 80

Goals for York City: Woods 4, Newton 52 (pen)

The Harriers Online MotM is: Ethan Freemantle

Talk about the game here

Latest table and stats here

Harriers Goals Subs Time Cards
Montrose   44  
Prosser   72  
Sterling-James   44  
Cowley 72  
York City Goals Subs Time Cards
Dyson   84  
Redshaw   72  
Guilfoyle   84  
McLaughlin   72  
Mr Jon Kenny