2021/22 Friendlies

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: 2021/22 Friendlies

Post by TWG85 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:47 pm

HarrierN2 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:43 pm
Were we playing just one target man, or two up front?
Freemantle up front with Austin playing off him in the #10 position. Out of possession however they formed a two, to block the passing lanes through the middle out of defence.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:51 pm

Cheers for the info.

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:54 pm

Couldn't understand our somewhat piecemeal approach to this fixture. Should we not have put out our strongest Xl at least for the first half? I understand we are looking at trialists but to throw several in at once against a team this strong was always going to lead to a demoralising defeat. There seemed to be a disconnect between our approach and theirs. They played as if this was anything but a friendly and their fans seemed to think they'd won something really important. Strange lot. Perhaps they don't see many victories.

Thought their 3rd goal was way off side and I had a good view of it.

Anyone know if we can pay at the gate at Stratford?

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 pm

The first looked clearly offside.

Delph Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Delph Harrier » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Fair play to Walsall’s supporters - apparently their following today was over 400.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 pm

The thumping Walsall got against Villa & comments about movement clearly paid off for them, very mobile & gave us little time on the ball.

We at times played some good quick passing, even when several goals down, so well done to keep going.

Shame about the first goal, just as we were having a good spell, looked offside (?).

Bearded cb looked useful on the ball, possibly also could do def.mid. if needed.

I thought we started with just Freemantle up front, then 2 when AMS came on.

My first live game, really pleased to be back.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:19 am

They played as if this was anything but a friendly and their fans seemed to think they'd won something really important. Strange lot. Perhaps they don't see many victories.
As I pointed out to a rather crowing Walsall supporter after in the pub, if things go the right way for us and the wrong way for them this could be their local derby game come the 2022-23 season!
That shut him up a bit! :cool:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:55 am

Medieval wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 pm
The thumping Walsall got against Villa & comments about movement clearly paid off for them, very mobile & gave us little time on the ball.

We at times played some good quick passing, even when several goals down, so well done to keep going.

Shame about the first goal, just as we were having a good spell, looked offside (?).

Bearded cb looked useful on the ball, possibly also could do def.mid. if needed.

I thought we started with just Freemantle up front, then 2 when AMS came on.

My first live game, really pleased to be back.
I'd agree with all that. I thought the main difference between the teams was incisiveness up front. The midfielder was competent at switching the ball - but didn't see much else. Liked the centre back. Simpson's kicking isn't that good. Hemmings gives the ball away way too much in midfield positions. I'd echo the concerns about where the goals are going to come from. Sam Austin - from occasional full-back to frequent goalscorer and captain. Well done, Sam.

Aggborough soup and pies? The end of an era?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:17 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:19 am
They played as if this was anything but a friendly and their fans seemed to think they'd won something really important. Strange lot. Perhaps they don't see many victories.
As I pointed out to a rather crowing Walsall supporter after in the pub, if things go the right way for us and the wrong way for them this could be their local derby game come the 2022-23 season!
Great comments :flag:

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mac » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:24 pm

Jasper wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:17 pm
garthrockett wrote:
Heard some home fans singing, "Football league you are having a laugh" when the score was nil nil. Did not hear that chant at full time.

How come a season ticket costs less at Walsall compared to KHFC for me and son for this season. Are we competing in same league this season lol.

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:26 pm

Great to be back after 18 months - even if we hardly ever threatened a goal in 90 minutes.

My motm was the bearded CH - rarely wasted a pass and looked to create whenever the ball was at his feet. However, we did concede 5 goals so may be my future as a talent scout may be limited.

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:51 pm

Mac wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:24 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:17 pm
garthrockett wrote:
Heard some home fans singing, "Football league you are having a laugh" when the score was nil nil. Did not hear that chant at full time.

How come a season ticket costs less at Walsall compared to KHFC for me and son for this season. Are we competing in same league this season lol.
Golly gosh some fans singing at a football match. What next!

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:41 pm

100% onside on the first goal.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:43 pm

Based purely on the highlights...

First goal is offside. Unless Hemmo is playing him on out of shot. Freeze it and he's beyond before the ball is played. Another decision going against us to go with the very dubious penalty for Cheltenham.

No complaints about the rest. Walsall's fifth was superbly taken. Simpson rather worryingly didn't get near any of them, although he was left badly exposed by the defence.

I'm more worried about our attacking play. Bar that one nice move second half, the only attacking "highlights" for us were hopeful set pieces, mostly off target. Against Cheltenham, it was players running and taking pot shots from distance. I really want to see us start showing sone guile and a plan for how to break teams down. That's where I think we really need to improve, I don't see where the goals are coming from.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Swansea Harrier wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:43 pm
Based purely on the highlights...

First goal is offside. Unless Hemmo is playing him on out of shot. Freeze it and he's beyond before the ball is played. Another decision going against us to go with the very dubious penalty for Cheltenham.

No complaints about the rest. Walsall's fifth was superbly taken. Simpson rather worryingly didn't get near any of them, although he was left badly exposed by the defence.

I'm more worried about our attacking play. Bar that one nice move second half, the only attacking "highlights" for us were hopeful set pieces, mostly off target. Against Cheltenham, it was players running and taking pot shots from distance. I really want to see us start showing sone guile and a plan for how to break teams down. That's where I think we really need to improve, I don't see where the goals are coming from.
Not offside, Swansea Harrier. Honestly. Play it at half-speed & give it a freeze frame, you'll see for yourself.