Euros 2020

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

Who will win the trophy?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Italy
33%
Switzerland
No votes
Turkey
No votes
Wales
4%
Belgium
15%
Denmark
No votes
Finland
No votes
Russia
No votes
Austria
No votes
Netherlands
No votes
Nth Macedonia
No votes
Ukraine
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Czech Republic
No votes
England
19%
Scotland
No votes
Poland
No votes
Slovakia
No votes
Spain
4%
Sweden
4%
France
19%
Germany
4%
Hungary
No votes
Portugal
No votes

Total votes: 27

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Re: Euros 2020

Post by Medieval » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:13 pm

Home advantage should & did give us an advantage, well worth the win.

Will be interesting to gauge how good Croatia are when they play Czech R.

Kane is an outstanding striker, but looked more laboured than usual.

Would like to see Grealish, but it appears he is training on his own with the shin injury not adequately cleared.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:49 pm

Well that was disappointing from us

:oops:

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:20 pm

Congratulations to Colin Gordon on taking on the England job. Missed the announcement but I was in no doubt he was in the dugout tonight.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:48 pm

Good day out but turgid performance. After that and Croatia I probably won’t bother looking for tickets again unless we reach the semis.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:11 pm

Lethargic performance, bullied, lack of creativity etc. Fair play to Scotland who executed their plan well. It wasnt ever going to be easy.
Southgate needs to take a large look at himself and his pragmatic tactics against such opposition. Yes Rice & Phillips work well against good sides but not against lesser sides. Kane and Stirling need to be dropped, completely off the boil. Kane isnt even leading the line well, he drops deep, wanders wide and leaves us with no target. My 3 week old could win a 50/50 against Stirling.
What has Grealish done to not warrant a start (and before you ask no I am not a Villa fan), Foden should never have been taken off. Bizarre decision. Brining on Rashford for a CF role when he never plays there for Utd is another bizarre decision.
Never thought I'd say this but Mings has been our best player over the two games, no doubt he'll be dropped for Harry tomorrow.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 am

Much more positive first half against the Czechs, Saka and Grealish added some much needed attacking intent. I was a little dubious about Maguire taking the place of Mings (who hadn't put a foot wrong IMO) but he put in a solid display. Pickford's distribution was outstanding and a great save in the first half.

Second half was a bit scrappy, but we top the group so job done. Need to find another gear I feel to match the better teams we'll face now.

Still can't quite get my head around Mount and Chilwell having to isolate after having a chat with Gilmour, when his Scottish team mates who he likely shared buses, hotels, meal tables, training / gym space etc with did not.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 am

7 points, no goals conceded, we'd have taken that at the start.
Good first half, surprised at Saka's start (even with Sancho in the squad) but he was brilliant and exciting, Grealish great again. Both have to start next game based on what they bought to the table. Grealish has been very harshly left out anyway IMO.
Wasnt surprised to see Maguire in for Mings, and it is harsh on Mings who has been faultless but Maguire did well. Henderson clearly isn't fit, didnt see him intercept or win anything. Definitely keep Rice and Phillips together in the next round where we will draw a very good side from the group of death. Those two together against good sides is a must IMO.
Kane led the line better than what he had been doing. Though the first ten minutes he did his usual wandering.
Re Mount & Chilwell I don't think it was just a chat, apparently they were seen hugging?

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:10 pm

Agree Maguire played well, but despite not conceding in 3 games, still not convinced that as a team we are organised defensively to cope with the top teams (not sure Croatia are still a top team).

Kane looked a bit more himself but thought he would be subbed at some stage.

Yes, Grealish & Sako must start.

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:25 pm

Even without being able to train with the group I'm pretty sure Southgate will return to Mount for the big games as his workrate (like Foden) is superhuman.

I like Grealish but don't think he's the saviour of the team, just a good, slightly different, attacking option. For me, the lack of time given to Sancho is more mystifying.

Saka was superb - Man of the match

Maguire - showed that we had missed his confident passing range.

Southgate sticking to (broadly) the same cautious formation with 2 DMS has meant that we've had some time to get drilled in it, even if it has looked a bit leaden and unecessarily cautious against Scotland and the Czechs. Could pay off in the later stages.

Not the best watch, but you can't really argue with top of the group and no goals conceded. I expect that we'll look more attacking against the bigger teams who don't sit off as much too.
Sam

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:50 pm

I gave into temptation and got tickets for Tuesday. Not sure who I'd rather us play though. Not sure it matters too much in footballing terms unless Hungary can pull off an unlikely shock and combined with a win for France which would leave us playing Hungary.

On balance I think I possibly prefer Germany of the likely candidates as much for the whole occasion and atmosphere on the day as much as anything else.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:23 pm

Now that the group stages are over it's on to the knockouts. These start on Saturday with Wales v Denmark at 17.00hrs.

Now as a special treat for all those that want you can change your vote for a team that are still in the contest. So if you now think that a team other than the one you originally selected will win you can vote for them instead.

If you are yet to vote you are welcome to do so before the Wales game kicks off. At that time the vote will end.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:04 am

Will GS stick with the 433 or revert to a 352 vs the Germans? I can see him reverting to a back three with two wingbacks (Trippier and Saka) and two defensive midfielders.
Some headaches for him surrounding Saka and Grealish.
If i was him i'd go
Pickford;
Walker Stones Mcguire Shaw;
Rice Philips Foden;
Saka Kane Grealish

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:16 pm

I predict we will obliterate the Germans by multiple goals, bringing in a wave of optimism and positivity, which will make our exit on pens in the next round following a mind numbingly tedious 0-0 against Ukraine all the more frustrating.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:21 pm

tonythescout wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:04 am
Will GS stick with the 433 or revert to a 352 vs the Germans? I can see him reverting to a back three with two wingbacks (Trippier and Saka) and two defensive midfielders.
Some headaches for him surrounding Saka and Grealish.
If i was him i'd go
Pickford;
Walker Stones Mcguire Shaw;
Rice Philips Foden;
Saka Kane Grealish
I would also agree with this 11, though no strong feelings over the full backs.

Can`t see him dropping Stirling though.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:24 pm

Goal of the tournament there for Croatia.

Who is this woman commentating?
"He opened his hip"
What???