MotM: 04-01-20 Blyth Spartans (H) Prosser

Where you can find all the links to online match resources and Man of the Match polls

Moderator: Phil

Harriers 0 Blyth Spartans 1

Poll ended at Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Will Mannion
No votes
Sam Austin
No votes
Ed Williams
No votes
Harry Higginson
5%
Cliff Moyo
No votes
Keith Lowe
36%
Alex Prosser
41%
Milan Butterfield
No votes
Ethan Freemantle
5%
Ashley Hemmings
14%
Oliver Shenton
No votes
Correy Davidson
No votes
Richard Peniket
No votes
Ashley Chambers
No votes

Total votes: 22

stever1507

Re: MotM: 04-01-20 Blyth Spartans (H)

Post by stever1507 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:14 pm

Where do we start ? Paid £10 for a £2.50 match at best. No passion, no energy, poor passing and control.
The powers that be, both upstairs or in an office in Halesowen, and on the bench, need to realise that football is an entertainment industry.
That was as entertaining as root canal work .
We may have had the majority of the ball, which looks great on a laptop, with all different coloured markers, but that wont get us hairy assed supporters through the turnstiles.
Yet again another manager, coach, CG puppet ?, with no knowledge of lower leagues, hasn't had to win any games at WBA, apart from the last few games, when he was in charge of 1st team.
The under 23s is all about keeping the ball, regardless of result. I'm sure he does a great powerpoint presentation, he seems a really nice chap,but we need more than that.
He needs a hand, anybody got Steve Burrs mobile number ? get him in twice a week, got to be better than where we are now.
No fight today, worst I have seen us, we will be lucky to get 1000 at home games, going forward.
Where do we go from here ?

Justin Tomlinson
Sponsors Milan Butterfield

Post by Justin Tomlinson » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:37 pm

£10 deal was a great gesture and a real opportunity to get some fans back... alas the 90mins entertainment won’t have helped.

pershoreharrier

Post by pershoreharrier » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:46 pm

Marcus Garvey wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 pm
redandwhitemike wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:10 pm
Academy style football at this level does not work.

Full time players on limited budgets does not work at this level.

Having academy coaches with theorising game plans based on possession for possessions sake does not work at this level.

Not understanding the aforementioned and expecting supporters to attend games regardless does not work at this level.

Colin Gordon once spoke about 'educating' the fans - I rest my case.
Like like like

What has changed for the good in the last 12 months?? Mcfarlane, Gordon, O'Connor, Yates, Pemberton, Penn and now Shann...and yet some still can't see it.This club is dieing a very slow death if not dead already. I would take folding and starting afresh where everyone was united with the same goal.
Well if some serious profits do not surface in the next year or so then someone will say no more cash and that will be that. I wonder how much RL and his partners are prepared to put in before seeing a financial return - personally I don't think it will be long enough.

Will we see more season ticket holders next season - NO - will the gates improve - NO. Will we see a previous owner leave for good - NO.

And today we tried to enhance the gate by offering admission for £10 - I left hearing some folk who had tried us out for the first time saying £10 was absolute robbery.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:46 pm
Marcus Garvey wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 pm
redandwhitemike wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:10 pm
Academy style football at this level does not work.

Full time players on limited budgets does not work at this level.

Having academy coaches with theorising game plans based on possession for possessions sake does not work at this level.

Not understanding the aforementioned and expecting supporters to attend games regardless does not work at this level.

Colin Gordon once spoke about 'educating' the fans - I rest my case.
Like like like

What has changed for the good in the last 12 months?? Mcfarlane, Gordon, O'Connor, Yates, Pemberton, Penn and now Shann...and yet some still can't see it.This club is dieing a very slow death if not dead already. I would take folding and starting afresh where everyone was united with the same goal.
Well if some serious profits do not surface in the next year or so then someone will say no more cash and that will be that. I wonder how much RL and his partners are prepared to put in before seeing a financial return - personally I don't think it will be long enough.

Will we see more season ticket holders next season - NO - will the gates improve - NO. Will we see a previous owner leave for good - NO.

And today we tried to enhance the gate by offering admission for £10 - I left hearing some folk who had tried us out for the first time saying £10 was absolute robbery.
I heard the opposite. Opinions hey?

TWG85
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by TWG85 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:01 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Had a conversation with Micky Tuohy today, he said Harriers teams of the past would never keep up with today's team, pace of play is totally different.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:06 pm

My mum used to say that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all.

So the only things I can say about the game are:
-Prosser looked a vast improvement on the player we saw at the start of the season;
-Higginson's time on loan has clearly done him some good;
-Freemantle looks like he will have a successful career;
-It was great to have Keith Lowe back, and despite the early mistake he didn't disappoint.

BobGreenwoodsDad

Post by BobGreenwoodsDad » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:48 pm

It seems that pessimism was the right call, although I thought Lowe did well after the first few minutes. For me, he was just pipped to MotM by Hemmings who was the only one looked like creating anything. The result was bad but the performance was worse. What was worst of all is that my faith in JS has been severely knocked. Absolute adherence to a system that, for whatever reason, was palpably not working. When something needs changing, what do you do ? Change full backs. Still not working ? Bring on a striker but take one off. God forbid that we should have more than two attacking players on the pitch at the same time

Jasper
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Jasper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:26 am

I've got to agree that when you're struggling to score don't just replace striker for striker, replace a defender instead. With Blyth tiring in the last half hour it was obvious we needed to attack with width, more numbers and much quicker. Look at Tranmere yesterday changed their formation to suit and hey presto.

muse_harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by muse_harrier » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:46 am

Is the manager being paid to get results or is he getting paid to play a certain way irrespective of results?
If we are in a results driven business he needs to change his thought process fo his own good if he has aspirations of becoming a manager at a competitive level.
If not i believe this will be his last job as a number 1 at a football club.

Jonkers
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Jonkers » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:39 am

As a long term supporter and until recently a ST holder I admit I gave up going towards the end of last season as a protest at the way CG was running the club. I had very intention of returning to the fold once CG had left the building. As I understand from a respected former player who still has contacts at the club and other comments on here CG is still calling the shots from his bolt hole in Halesowen, if true I will continue to stay away and watch my grandson player football instead.
Having said all that I grieve for the Club and its long suffering supporters and see no light at the end of the very long dark tunnel.

Robbo
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Robbo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:51 am

Well that was just awful. I thought some of the players really showed there lack of character and fight which is needed currently. Some players need to give there heads a wobble and wake up at where we are in the table.
William's, can he go now, waste of time and effort, lacked any desire, hemmings had to cover his position because he refused to track back.
Austin, can he realise that he isnt messi. Tries to take on players that he cant do then take wasteful shot.
I could go on.
However credit to hemmings and prosser, gave fight and passion trying to win the ball back and create something.

Will the board make any sort of statement or shall we just wait until we go down!

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:17 pm

muse_harrier wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:46 am
Is the manager being paid to get results or is he getting paid to play a certain way irrespective of results?
If we are in a results driven business he needs to change his thought process fo his own good if he has aspirations of becoming a manager at a competitive level.
If not i believe this will be his last job as a number 1 at a football club.
More to the point is the manager being paid ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, period

MY worked free gratis - maybe JS is too until his severance package is sorted - I believe he is on 'garden leave' from WBA though that could be a load of bo££ocks.

John Pemberton was the closest we had to a manager with experience at NN level - and even he couldn't make it work with this squad !
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:12 pm

Pessimism rules among the Harriers faithful following yesterday's truly appalling result, one which no-one in the PL thought possible - hence no points awarded from the game. If the teams below us gain points from their games in hand, then we truly will be in the mire. I can't recall such a blanket of woe enveloping Aggborough in the 40 odd years I've been following Harriers :crying: .

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Colgofray wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:12 pm
Pessimism rules among the Harriers faithful following yesterday's truly appalling result, one which no-one in the PL thought possible - hence no points awarded from the game. If the teams below us gain points from their games in hand, then we truly will be in the mire. I can't recall such a blanket of woe enveloping Aggborough in the 40 odd years I've been following Harriers :crying: .
All down to one man's arrogance and vanity/ego.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale