World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by garthrockett » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:28 am

Agree with your post completely Mike, an astute summary.
Sweden lacked a cutting edge, but when they did threaten Pickford was indomitable as the last line of defence.
Still think Rose should be the more 'natural' full back choice, with Rashford's physicality up front for longer than the last 30 minutes.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:21 pm

spitalfields wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:48 pm
pershoreharrier wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 pm
I have just been reminded that Pickford conceded 3 times when playing for Darlington against Harriers.
Didn't Ben Foster concede 5 in 2 games for us? Ryan Clarke looked a much better prospect that season.

Just goes to show, you can't judge everything from what you witness...
Indeed so - as one well known player / pundit said 'Funny old game.'

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:36 pm

Appreciate r&WMike giving us the benefit of his knowledge and don't disagree much with his ratings - apart from Pickford's. And Maguire deserves 9!
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:57 pm

So we won't be playing Belgium in the final then.

We might be on Saturday instead but hopefully not.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:17 pm

France in the final, outwitting the skills and technical wizardry of the Belgians.

England's route to the semis could not have been easier - the first real test comes tomorrow - Croatia stand between Southgate's heroes and a place against the French.

Rumours abound that he will go with the same team again, notwithstanding the performances of some of those he worships as being - 'most important members of the team' there is a case for giving fresh legs a go, especially as the Croatians will be that bit more tired after the last couple of epics.

I don't believe the same again team can beat Croatia - there is simply not enough goal threat up front - Kane will be man marked out of the game, they did it to Messi easily enough! Croatia will know how we play by now, Southgate needs to up the ante and offer something different - Rose on the left would be a good start, and Rashford alongside Kane.

I fear same old same old won't cut it,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 am

Mike - keep the faith man. Messi was in the most dysfunctional team in the world cup so every team were made to look good against them, including france.

We can do it with the same team, but I really want to see more of Rashford.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 pm

ograzebrook wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:51 am
Mike - keep the faith man. Messi was in the most dysfunctional team in the world cup so every team were made to look good against them, including france.

We can do it with the same team, but I really want to see more of Rashford.
I hope your optimism is not misplaced - I think we all have to acknowledge that Southgate's England could not have had an easier route to the semi's - Croatia will be a completely different prospect - set piece plays at both ends of the pitch will be crucial, that's where we will win it or lose IMO.

Then again Sterling might score a goal and prove Southgate was right all along ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In a recent online surveys, said player polled consistently the lowest in all the games he started - the fans can obviously see what the manager cannot.

I desperately hope I'm wrong - I shall be cheering the lads on regardless.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Why the Sterling bashing? He put in a proper shift against Sweden and gave their defence nothing but headaches for 90 mins - also, in case you missed it Mike, we won the game?! Sterling played a big part in that. Yes he should convert the chances he's presented (and helps to create) but he has played far better than some folks are giving him credit for. No one is lambasting Kane for not scoring in that tie, he also worked his socks off and created space and opportunity for others but didn't get his name on the scoresheet.

I hope Rashford gets more minutes too, but don't underestimate Sterling just because he's not a golden boot contender.

Also "the first real test comes tomorrow"? Are you serious? They've been tested plenty, penalties, breaking down a well drilled Sweden side, even beating 'walk over' sides in the groups is a test we have failed in the past.

Maybe just drop the 'I fear same old same old won't cut it,,,,,,,,,, :roll:' attitude for 90 minutes, trust in Southgate and enjoy the game.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Just need to manage the game out now

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Will they ever stop putting Pickford under pressure? Worrying that Croatia will catch him out soon

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Oh well, my plans to be back in Moscow on Sunday for the World Cup Final have been scuppered.

My next live game will be Alfreton (a)

Such is football.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Just couldn't get the ball to the missing frontline tonight. Bought Vardy on and still no balls through to him.

Oh well. We'll be away in Stamford this weekend so we'll have to find a pub showing the also rans game.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Not a single shot on target from open play in 120 minutes...

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:35 am

Can`t share the euphoria with reaching the sf. Only game we played against higher ranked opposition was against the Belgium second strings.

For some reason we can`t keep going for the full 90 minutes, Croatia were supposed to collapse with exhaustion.

Stick with Southgate, change to a more familiar system, get Lallana/Wilshere or their like to create.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 am

The Hurt continues and back to earth with a bump - in all honesty England didn't deserve to win that game.

Reaching the semi finals is no mean achievement, even allowing for the 'dead easy' opposition in the previous rounds which perhaps lead to the misguided euphoria of "Football is Coming Home" which I believe is number one ATM !!! But in reality after all the media and expert glowing endorsements for the team, the fact remains England's prima donnas failed to live up to the hype - as I forecast Croatia were in a different class and so many of Southgate's first choice were shown up as not good enough against the first real decent footballing side. The fact that so many of the cream of the game had fallen on the route to the semis, convinced many aching for success that this time it might be different and we were told by some that we had to ,,,,,,,,,,"sit back and enjoy the experience - ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we would never have a better chance" - England had ONE shot on target in the whole 120 minutes - Trippiers free kick !!!!!

I guess it's easy to overlook the errors made by Southgate and his over reliance of his favourites - by the fact that results seemed to prove he'd found a magic formula - so if it ain't bust don't fix it - well that worked !! All the way through the tournament the shortcomings and weaknesses were there for all to see, but Southgate carried on regardless believing only his first choice eleven were good enough - ultimately that fact was England's downfall and that for me is a major worry going forward with England - the fact that the manager has a bad case of tunnel vision.

When the dust settles he has to reconfigure his approach and bite the bullet on certain players. Defensive frailties were always a concern for me and so it proved last night.

Jordan Pickford - the one real success story of the World Cup - young and brave he can only improve, only a matter of time before he gets a move to a 'Big' club - but for him England would have gone out to Columbia(penalties) ,,,,,,,,,,errrrrmmmmm.

Trippier Great improverer with accurate delivery at set pieces looks like first choice in his position - no arguments there.

Walker Struggled at C/B all the way through - he's quick but his spacial awareness is suspect - which is not his fault having played his entire career at right back - round peg who was caught out for the Mandzukic winning goal.

Stones Average at best, not one of my favourites and his Moneybags City connections goes a long way to ensure his selection no doubt.

Maguire Another success - still getting used to the role, but looks a corner stone for the future - another who will be moving up soon no doubt

Young As a wing back on the left side he's not quite convinced me - again maybe his Man U connections blindsided Southgate - predictable for the most part and lacks real pace for the role.

Henderson Bit of a curates egg - could never impose himself on the game against Croatia and as a result our midfield struggled, but he was the only real option in the squad for the role.

Alli For what ever reason we rarely saw the real Dele Alli of Spurs - of undoubted class but he never turned up for England - major disappointment.

Lingard At times looked the part and I think he has a future for England - he is a bit lightweight - but so is Modric !!!

Sterling Under performed big time - I will leave it there :roll:

Kane May well win the Golden Boot which will be some compensation, but I'm not sure he was well served by the formation Southgate decided on, constantly isolated with his back to goal and often too deep to be a threat, he had to feed on scraps against Croatia. I'm a big fan of Harry Kane but we didn't see him at his best in this world cup and I don't think it was all his fault - being partnered with Sterling didn't work - pure and simple!!

The other players in the squad never really had a chance to impress from the start of games and had to rely on bit part substitute appearances, which I think was criminal for some - Rose in my eyes is a far better player(than Young) and could have made a huge difference had he started last night. Same could be said for Rashford who only got game time when desperation set in !!! I would even have given Loftus-Cheek a start in place of the under performing Alli.

Was it arrogance from Southgate that he thought 'his' first choices were good enough to win the game or was it that he couldn't see the wood the trees - his over reliance on his favourites is what cost England last night and that for me is a major worry for the future.

In closing this tome on England - I'm immensely proud of what England achieved in Russia but so gutted that we didn't go all the way, are the players heroes or villains :wall: