World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:10 pm

As expected it's the same eleven as started against Tunisia, where to be honest England struggled and needed a last ditch winner to take the points.

Just hope King 'arry is on form tonight.

Come on England
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Just got in the ground. It’s like a Colombia home game. Never seen so few English at such a big game.

Come on England!!!!

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Half Time

This looks like 0-0 and England will go out after extra time and penalties.

Kane can't do it on his own

First half illustrates perfectly why Sterling isn't good enough - I can't understand why anyone and that includes Southgate thinks he's worthy of the shirt, absolutely no end product, had chances to score or set up some one else but simply couldn't deliver.

Dele Alli doesn't look 100% fit (from the ko) he's a passenger.

Columbia look like they are playing for a draw and a win on pens - they are bang average.

If England can't beat Columbia they are never going to trouble Sweden.

Southgate has to change things for the second half.

OH! for a Peter Crouch ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :twisted:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Harry Kane

get In

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Southgate can't see the wood for the trees.

I fear England will lose this on penalties.

Game management by Southgate has been totally naive - the best chance for ages to get to the semis of a world cup and he's balls it up.

Does he have a clue,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 pm

This has a very " I've been there before" feeling about this game.

Lets be honest here Columbia are very average.

England look totally devoid of any ideas on how to score a goal.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 pm

That was dire. Sorry England but you don't deserve to go through on that extra time showing.

Just got to hope we can put these penalties away but... :couch:

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Please, please, please let us not be that bad again. Go at Sweden from the start and be ruthless

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 pm

Well I've seen it but I'm not sure I believe it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,England win a penalty shoot out at a World Cup.

But let's be honest here - notwithstanding Southgate's over the top praise about how the team played - Columbia were bang average and basically agricultural in their approach.

England progress and for that I'm chuffed but boy did we make it tough for ourselves.

Please, please can we change the starting eleven and actually play with more positivity against Sweden.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 am

It was an odd game. Couldn't seem to get that final pass through the defence.

Negative substitution was, in hindsight, the wrong decision, even though Dyer scored the winning penalty. RLC or Rashford earlier would have been better for our forward options I think.

I really think Rashford deserves a start as he is going to be a superstar one day. For his age, he has unbeleivable confidence in himself.

The important thing is that we've got thorough and banishing the penalty hoodoo is a big bonus. Sweeden looked pretty ponderous yesterday so we must go for pace and not play it along the back line all match. England really remind me of Kiddy from last season in a way...same kind of build up play, negative substitutions to hold on to a slender lead...conceding last minute goal.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:17 am

I think what Gary Neville said after the game makes a lot of sense,you wouldn’t have chosen that before the game (nerve racking shoot out) but having come through it, they’ll be full of confidence with a renewed belief going into the quarters. Far more so than had we simply held out for a professional 1-0 win.

Sweden will be a tough game, but I have more confidence in us turning them over than I did against Columbia.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 am

The morning after the night before, it still feels like England were very lucky to scrape through and all credit must go to Jordan Pickford for the wonder penalty save that took us through to the next round - but boy what a struggle England had to beat a limited Columbia.

We were a shambles in midfield, fortunately the defence wasn't pushed too much until near the end of normal time when again Pickford came to England's rescue - my MotM.
Kane being the only forward player who came any where near an acceptable standard.

Southgate has to change things for the next game - Loftus-Cheek, Rashford & Rose all have to start.

England are capable of getting to the final - but only if the manager accepts the obvious regarding his team selection.

Score on the Doors

Pickford.......... 9 * Still relatively young (24) and inexperienced he is quickly developing into a first class keeper - star player in an otherwise mediocre display.

Trippier............ 7 Solid all round performance - delivery not quite as good as usual though.

Young .............. 5 Still looks uncomfortable on his 'wrong' side - no threat going forward whatsoever, which negates his selection as a wing back.

Stones ............. 6 One or two anxious moments which he got away with - uninspiring game.

Maguire.......... 7 Getting better as he gets more experience - a real threat at set pieces.

Walker.......... 7 Still finds himself out of position on occasions - but his pace gets him out of trouble - unsure whether he is happy playing in the middle.

Lingard........... 5 The game seemed to pass him by, rarely got involved to the extent where he could assist or build up play.

Alli................. 5 Wasn't 100% fit was he ? Shadow of the player he can be and ended up a passenger.

Sterling............. 5 Yet again fails to live up to the(manager & pundits) hype and must go down as the most 'over rated' player in an England shirt since Darren Anderton - frequent loss of possession and lack of a first touch, illustrating his limitations - totally baffled as to why Southgate can't see this.

Henderson............. 6 Not at his best - passing effectiveness too negative - needs to be on the front foot more.

Kane................... 8 Led the line like a captain should - but played far too deep in search of the ball due to the poor performances from those in midfield finished the game with an injury - but still managed to score his penalty in the shoot out - England's most consistent player and it's a crying shame others can't raise their game to his level.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:35 am

ograzebrook wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 am
It was an odd game. Couldn't seem to get that final pass through the defence.

Negative substitution was, in hindsight, the wrong decision, even though Dyer scored the winning penalty. RLC or Rashford earlier would have been better for our forward options I think.

I really think Rashford deserves a start as he is going to be a superstar one day. For his age, he has unbeleivable confidence in himself.

The important thing is that we've got thorough and banishing the penalty hoodoo is a big bonus. Sweeden looked pretty ponderous yesterday so we must go for pace and not play it along the back line all match. England really remind me of Kiddy from last season in a way...same kind of build up play, negative substitutions to hold on to a slender lead...conceding last minute goal.

I wasn't going to say this - waiting for some one else to make the comparison :lol:

But that is exactly how it looked to me too - frighten to kick on against less talented opposition & allowing them back in to the game - surrendering the control of the game by being too negative - for Southgate read Eustace .

Southgate will struggle to achieve anything with England until he accepts his players limitations - personally don't think Dier should even be in the squad !!

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:24 am

I would be willing to guess that Southgate is far smarter/more experienced and obviously infinately more articulate that Eustace (sorry John, you might get there everntually).

I have faith that Gareth will look at that game and make the appropriate changes.

Last night was a real challenge - an away game with a hostile crowd and a very dirty team. The ref had no control, but we still just about got through it. It's somewhat understandable that the fear crept in a bit.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:38 am

Still not sure Southgate can see past the end of his nose TBH !!

Appropriate changes ??

England struggled badly against Tunisia and only just won in the dying moments - yet he fields the same eleven against Colombia??

Alli, clearly not fit - Sterling, clearly not good enough - Young, clearly not up to playing 'on the wrong side',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Not sure we will see any changes provided those players are fit - and that's the rub for me the manager can't see the obvious.