World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

Locked
Cal's Spongebag
Sponsors Milan Butterfield
Sponsors Milan Butterfield
Posts: 3120
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm

The problem that Crouch has always had at international level is that refs consistently gave fouls against him for climbing.

VAR would only add to the problem.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Medieval
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Medieval » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm

If football degenerates into what we saw in Spain/Russia, it`s dead unless a way is found to overcome such negative tactics. Though it has to be said, Spain were terrible, recycling for the sake of it when quick meaningful forward passing was an alternative is many situations.

I said at the time the squad was announced Welbeck was not needed, my pick instead was Lallana, but a valid point about Carrol & Crouch. Just imagine the flack Southgate would have received though.

I think we are more likely to beat Russia than Spain were, should we meet.

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Shropshire Welsh Borders

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Krasnyi » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Mexico currently leaving THREE (count 'em) upfield for corners against Brazil.

I thought Russia got their tactics spot on yesterday. They deserved to win. Going toe-to-toe with Spain would have been stoopid.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Medieval wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm
If football degenerates into what we saw in Spain/Russia, it`s dead unless a way is found to overcome such negative tactics. Though it has to be said, Spain were terrible, recycling for the sake of it when quick meaningful forward passing was an alternative is many situations.

I said at the time the squad was announced Welbeck was not needed, my pick instead was Lallana, but a valid point about Carrol & Crouch. Just imagine the flack Southgate would have received though.

I think we are more likely to beat Russia than Spain were, should we meet.
IF??

Surely football has always been like the Russians played it, for some teams/countries - even in the Premiership.

It's sad but as the result against Spain proved (in the World Cup with penalties) it's a way to achieve a result.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Medieval » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm

My meaning was for it to become more common, with the Russian success, it will give encouragement. I`m no fan of Spanish tippy tappy football either, they got what they deserved.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Medieval wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm
My meaning was for it to become more common, with the Russian success, it will give encouragement. I`m no fan of Spanish tippy tappy football either, they got what they deserved.

I would agree Spain were toothless and had no real answers to the Russian defensive model, which is why I raised the issue with England's squad.

Peter Crouch(or Carroll) would have been an option against the massed ranks of Russia.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

User avatar
Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer
Posts: 17471
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Africa. I can hear Lions and Tigers
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Phil » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm

That Japan side were something else. You have to feel so sorry for them.

Edge of the seat stuff.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Harry Err » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:58 pm

I went to the Russia v Spain game. No point commenting on the relative tactics of both sides as you all saw the game.

What I will comment on though is the atmosphere and how the Russian players got the crowd on side. In ET they were literally punching the air when they were shepherding the ball out for goal kicks. I’ve seen a lot of big games all over the world but the atmosphere there was something special. Penalties were amazing. It was real hairs on the back of your neck stuff when the final save was made.

Anyway tickets sorted for England tomorrow. Hopefully no more penalty dramas!

It’s just a shame that more English haven’t come over. I can’t stress enough just how different it is to how the media said it would be. Great country, great people and really enjoyable tournament so far. Let’s hope tomorrow is just as good.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:06 pm

It would appear from news reports that Southgate will play the same team that started the Tunisia game - he believes Sterling is ,,,,,,,,,,,,," a really important part of the team ". Further to this he is surprised by the focus on his place in the team - well we will see tomorrow Gareth whether your judgement is misplaced.

For every one who supports England I just hope he is not made to look an idiot with this blind faith in a very average player.

Come on England
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

ograzebrook
Sponsors Milan Butterfield
Sponsors Milan Butterfield
Posts: 2900
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by ograzebrook » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:09 am

Harry Err wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:58 pm
I went to the Russia v Spain game. No point commenting on the relative tactics of both sides as you all saw the game.

What I will comment on though is the atmosphere and how the Russian players got the crowd on side. In ET they were literally punching the air when they were shepherding the ball out for goal kicks. I’ve seen a lot of big games all over the world but the atmosphere there was something special. Penalties were amazing. It was real hairs on the back of your neck stuff when the final save was made.

Anyway tickets sorted for England tomorrow. Hopefully no more penalty dramas!

It’s just a shame that more English haven’t come over. I can’t stress enough just how different it is to how the media said it would be. Great country, great people and really enjoyable tournament so far. Let’s hope tomorrow is just as good.
Good work. I got the impression it took a while for the Russian fans to get going, but once they did, it was noticable.

The Japan game was truly one of the greatest world cup games ever...wow

harry211
Sponsors Milan Butterfield
Sponsors Milan Butterfield
Posts: 7188
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: Finchley

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by harry211 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 am

Not been this nervous for a long time before an England game. Really could go either way. (Well, it absolutely has to...). Come on!
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

User avatar
Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 am
Location: Wokingham, BERKS

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Mayo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:05 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:06 pm
It would appear from news reports that Southgate will play the same team that started the Tunisia game - he believes Sterling is ,,,,,,,,,,,,," a really important part of the team ". Further to this he is surprised by the focus on his place in the team - well we will see tomorrow Gareth whether your judgement is misplaced.

For every one who supports England I just hope he is not made to look an idiot with this blind faith in a very average player.

Come on England
I think we'll see a better performance from Sterling tonight, when he's played, he's been getting in the right positions, but for his (poor) finishing, he could have had 3-4 goals so far. I can't agree that he is average, I don't think Pep would tollerate that in his ranks. He'll come good, we need to back him and trust Southgate.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot & Ryan Croasdale #4 Shirt

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Mayo wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:05 pm
redandwhitemike wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:06 pm
It would appear from news reports that Southgate will play the same team that started the Tunisia game - he believes Sterling is ,,,,,,,,,,,,," a really important part of the team ". Further to this he is surprised by the focus on his place in the team - well we will see tomorrow Gareth whether your judgement is misplaced.

For every one who supports England I just hope he is not made to look an idiot with this blind faith in a very average player.

Come on England
I think we'll see a better performance from Sterling tonight, when he's played, he's been getting in the right positions, but for his (poor) finishing, he could have had 3-4 goals so far. I can't agree that he is average, I don't think Pep would tollerate that in his ranks. He'll come good, we need to back him and trust Southgate.
In an England shirt he IS an average player - IMHO.

Hope he scores a hat-trick tonight(or even just one) and I will be the first to say that Southgate was right to stick with him.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Medieval » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:55 pm

I would say in an England shirt Sterling is below average for an England player. It`s not only failure to score, he has no end product. No use Southgate having faith in him just because he play`s for Pep, some players just can`t do international football, no matter how they shine at club level. Mick Channon was typical, tried to do for England what he did for Southampton, didn`t work so well for him.

For some reason most of the pundits back him, don`t understand why they ignore Rashford.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by spitalfields » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Medieval wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:55 pm
For some reason most of the pundits back him, don`t understand why they ignore Rashford.
Rashford hasn't exactly grabbed the opportunities he's been given. I can't say I'm much of a fan of Sterling, but I can see why he's preferred.

Locked