World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by garthrockett » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:49 pm

A word of praise for Aggboro and the Harriers Arms staff, who opened up the Suite, put on a BBQ and the air-con and allowed people to enjoy themselves yesterday!!
Burger and a pint for a fiver...... :-)
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:31 pm

anything is possible now that England's nemesis are out :twisted:

Goot Got in Himmel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolllaugh:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:40 pm

And people say this world cup and international football is boring?

Rubbish.

Brilliant and surreal to listen to the end of that Germany game. They've done an England!

As for tomorrow's game, unsure how Southgate will play it but I reckon he'll go 3/4 full-strength and try to win. There's a big emphasis on a winning mentality before the tournament, and considering how England couldn't beg, borrow, or steal a victory in a major tournament since 2010 - who can blame them?

I've give Sterling a start. I understand the flack he gets (even if I suspect R&WM is one-step away from calling him a 'wannabe'!) but he been better than people think. In many ways, I'd rather have a striker who can get in positions, and create chances but only score 4/10, than somebody who doesn't but can finish. Time after time, the former will score more goals. He has created chances, and although he was quiet against Panama, he got an assist and did some clever stuff. I suspect once he gets his first goal, he'll rake them in.

Impressed by Trippier (best dead-ball taker since Beckham?) and Maguire, but do think we defend like schoolchildren every time the ball gets into our final third. Everyone rushes after the same ball, meaning we lose our shape and ultimately leave a player free. Need to be a bit more disciplined, and that's perhaps where the inexperience shows.

Very optimistic. Looking forward to tomorrow's match.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:00 pm

harry211 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Rubbish.

Brilliant and surreal to listen to the end of that Germany game. They've done an England!

As for tomorrow's game, unsure how Southgate will play it but I reckon he'll go 3/4 full-strength and try to win. There's a big emphasis on a winning mentality before the tournament, and considering how England couldn't beg, borrow, or steal a victory in a major tournament since 2010 - who can blame them?

I've give Sterling a start. I understand the flack he gets (even if I suspect R&WM is one-step away from calling him a 'wannabe'!) but he been better than people think. In many ways, I'd rather have a striker who can get in positions, and create chances but only score 4/10, than somebody who doesn't but can finish. Time after time, the former will score more goals. He has created chances, and although he was quiet against Panama, he got an assist and did some clever stuff. I suspect once he gets his first goal, he'll rake them in.

Impressed by Trippier (best dead-ball taker since Beckham?) and Maguire, but do think we defend like schoolchildren every time the ball gets into our final third. Everyone rushes after the same ball, meaning we lose our shape and ultimately leave a player free. Need to be a bit more disciplined, and that's perhaps where the inexperience shows.

All about opinions isn't it?

I suppose Sterling must have been a 'Wannabee' at some stage in his career :lol: He has his admirers in the ranks of the TV 'experts' mainly,as he plays for Moneybags City - but really he has played woefully so far in this World Cup and if he does play tomorrow I believe he will struggle to get involved - the point about scoring goals is just that - when did he last score for England ?
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

matttrolli
Reserves
Reserves

Post by matttrolli » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:39 pm

Sent from a photographer friend in Kaliningrad today!

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:01 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:00 pm
harry211 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Rubbish.

All about opinions isn't it?

I suppose Sterling must have been a 'Wannabee' at some stage in his career :lol: He has his admirers in the ranks of the TV 'experts' mainly,as he plays for Moneybags City - but really he has played woefully so far in this World Cup and if he does play tomorrow I believe he will struggle to get involved - the point about scoring goals is just that - when did he last score for England ?
I think they can see he's trying hard, gets in the right positions and is a wafer-thin amount away from making it work. Completely understand where you're coming from RE goals, but he does offer more than that. Do think Rashford deserves a go against Belgium, and if he gets a goal, it puts him in the driving seat for the second round - think that's hard to dispute.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:30 am

Stick or twist for Southgate against Belgium - does he rest players or does he go all out ??

Lukaku rumoured to be out injured, and other Belgians rested - perfect opportunity to maintain the momentum, after all this is a knock out !!!

I would like to see Rashford start alongside Kane and maybe give Trent Alexander-Arnold a go - but stick with the rest.

For me it's all about winning not worrying about finishing second - but then again this is England,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 am

The only real significant difference coming 2nd will give is a potential QF vs Switzerland/Sweden rather than vs Brazil. However that does mean that we would only have to beat 2 of the top tier teams to win it instead of 3.

From a footballing perspective a dominating draw today with a couple of yellow cards for fringe squad players meaning that Belgium win the group via the fair play route and we maintain momentum would be perfect.

On a purely selfish level I'd also prefer we come 2nd as I'm flying to Moscow tomorrow and would like to try and take in the Russia v Spain game on Sun before our match on Tue which is also in Moscow if we are runners up whereas if we win the group we've got to fly to Rostov on Sunday for Monday game.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:04 am

I think you have to go into every game to win, trying to calculate the connotations of different results to get the best path to progress is pointless.

Momentum and confidence is an advantage and should be maintained IMO, so we should set up to win (albeit with a few changes, we have a strong squad)
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:59 am

Think we should do some resting of players, though appreciate a difficult balance. Agree pundits view to rest wingbacks, heard Dier will be in, makes sense to rest Henderson also.
As for Sterling, if he didn`t play for City, or the like, he wouldn`t be anywhere near this squad.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 am

Harry Err wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 am
The only real significant difference coming 2nd will give is a potential QF vs Switzerland/Sweden rather than vs Brazil. However that does mean that we would only have to beat 2 of the top tier teams to win it instead of 3.

From a footballing perspective a dominating draw today with a couple of yellow cards for fringe squad players meaning that Belgium win the group via the fair play route and we maintain momentum would be perfect.

On a purely selfish level I'd also prefer we come 2nd as I'm flying to Moscow tomorrow and would like to try and take in the Russia v Spain game on Sun before our match on Tue which is also in Moscow if we are runners up whereas if we win the group we've got to fly to Rostov on Sunday for Monday game.
I hope you have a harriers flag.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Nor sure I understand this 'resting-of-players' scenario ; they all had three weeks off after the end of the season and to win the world cup a team only plays seven games......

pick your best team and keep playing your best team to go out and win each game. That is all.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Eight 'resting' apparently I bet 'arry isn't happy.

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Could backfire—rather play Japan than Colombia...
He who dares...wins

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:03 pm

harriershane wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:09 pm
Could backfire—rather play Japan than Colombia...
Agreed

But all this game shows is that neither side is that worried about winning - which is a poor indictment on the game in general.

Looks like 0-0 to me