World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Having his thigh scanned today

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Notwithstanding their ranking, Tunisia have not won a World Cup game in their last 12 attempts (L8 - D4).

Tunisia are IIRC the highest ranked African country :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Either Tunisia had a bad day or we stopped them playing - or a combination of the two.

They had one shot on target, which would have been the penalty. They had 4 shots off target.

We had 9 on target and 6 off.

We battered them.

On a more subjective note, theirs was not a penalty in my book, but we should have had at least one.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:52 pm

As far as team selection is concerned, Sterling can't play again. Southgate has shown he is capable of making tough decisions, so I hope he will.

I'd much prefer Rashford. And I am sure Vardy would do a better job than Sterling too.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

James Cordon view on England.
Very funny. :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Why can't I ever get the youtube video to embed like you Phil?
I'm obviously doing something wrong.
I have clicked on the youtube tab and pasted the url between each one. :crying:

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Put it in like this with the url up to the & but not including it and don't use the https://youtu.be/ version, use the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v version.

Code: Select all

[Center][Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtIvn4HiaJU[/Youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtIvn4HiaJU[/Center]

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks Phil.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:03 am

Anyone know if the Aggboro suite will be opened up for the Sunday match?
We did the Tunisia game in the Arms but it was too crowded, hot and with all the TVs facing different ways a bit unfocused!!

Pie and chips and pint for a fiver was good though.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Love the World Cup. If England do alright, it will be a bonus. Looks like it could be anyone's trophy at this stage but it will probably be the usual suspects. With Kane stepping up with the goals, quarter-finals are a realistic target.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Noticeable in the Belgium v Tunisia game just now that Tunisia hardly fouled the Belgians. No pulling down in the area and very few shirt pulls.

Was that reserved just for England?

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:04 pm

OK then. Thoughts on that England game?

Sterling? Any point?
Vardy? Was he actually given the ball?

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Sterling in an England shirt is past a joke. Assuming he will be dropped now, as he wasn`t rested.

Can`t remember Vardy touching the ball, but when he came on we just passed across the back 4/5, so not surprised.

Lingard has become the most important player(after Kane) for us, pleased he got off the mark.

Dissapointed with Loftus Cheek, but worth giving another chance.

Worried with some of our defensive lapses though, more concentration needed in the bigger games.

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Sterling missed a sitter (again!) but at least Gareth Southgate has the perfect chance to drop him now without affecting his confidence.
The Belgium game affords us the chance to make changes and Sterling MUST be one of them.
Not surprised with Vardy hardly getting into the game as Panama defended deep and Jamie thrives on balls over the top where his pace can be utilised.
In Harry Kane England have a real goalscorer of international class, and what a way to take a penalty. Power and accuracy, absolutely first class.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:30 am

Well done England, brilliant day to watch the game with a few(?) beers and a record braking result and King 'arry gets a hat-trick we're on our way to winning the World Cup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

OH! hang on minute it was Panama ranked 77 in the rankings - okay so we knocked them for six and Belgium could only manage a miserly three, does that make England twice as good ,,,,,,,,,,, :twisted:

Whilst acknowledging the result/performance was among the best in recent times, I can remember - this wasn't without it's concerns. The soft under belly of the defence was there for all to see on several occasions - that is a major worry and the manager's reluctance to acknowledge the obvious regarding certain players limitations is also a concern.

I also find the commentators/pundits fawning over indulgence regarding the same players, nauseating to the point where I mute the sound !!
Acid test coming Thursday evening - beat Belgium and we can all start dreaming ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SCORES ON THE DOORS[/b]

Pickford 7 Yet to be really tested - but did make one brave save late on

Young 6 Limited on his 'wrong' side - never really attacked as a wing back should - prefer Rose in that position.

Trippier 7 Delivery from wide a highlight of this team does what Young can't, thigh injury a concern.

Maguire 6 Positional awareness and passing still not good enough - maybe give Cahill a run out ( desperate I know)

Stones 8 First time an England defender has scored twice in a World Cup finals game - but he shares the blame for Panama's goal.

Walker 7 Still can't make up my mind as to whether he actually knows what he's doing as a center back - at times looks unsure.

Henderson 7 Seems to come of age at this tournament and continues to impress with his drive and enthusiasm.

Loftus-Cheek 7 Flashes of brilliance but all too often ran into blind alleys - at least his instinct was to go forward !!!

Lingard 9 Won a penalty and scored a sublime individual goal - raised his game to a new level, Jose will be pleased!!

Sterling 5 Missed another sitter and was a passenger for ninety minutes apart from his pass for Lingard's goal - shame he hasn't similar qualities,
his inclusion is beginning to look like a blind spot for Southgate.

Kane 8 Three goals and a record breaking game for 'arry - he actually had one of his quieter games - two pens and a lucky deflection - still they were great penalties. :lol:

MotM goes to Lingard

Hopefully Delle Alli will be fit for the Belgium game and Rashford will be given his chance along with Rose, as Southgate has to play his strongest team to maintain the momentum even (if we have qualified),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Come on Gareth you know it makes sense. :roll:

I wonder if Belgium will 'rest' Hazard and Lukaku??
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale