The Gaffer

Re: MotM: 16-08-22 Curzon (H)

Post by Phil » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:28 pm

HarrierClemo
Youth team
Youth team

Post by HarrierClemo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:31 pm

They say you should take the positives and learn from the negatives.
Positive: Percival was outstanding.
Negatives: no shape, no penetration, no flair.
Sheff above highlights a good point. Liverpool and ManU were money grab games.
Early days...

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:48 pm

Very little threat up front for most of the game.

Reminded me of the Colin Gordon days - tippy tappy, sideways and backwards and then when we eventually got it into the final third very little threat.

Often when we broke with the upper hand we checked and chose to play it backwards or sideways and lost the initiative.

Then we brought off one of the best players on the park.

Credit to Curzon, they came to play football, never sat back to try to protect their lead and deserved the win.

Big changes required Russ

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:52 pm

Fair play to Russ for fronting up. But not a single question about problems at the top end of the pitch or a mention if getting a new striker. Id gave loved to know why Lowe was withdrawn too (rather than some dithering question listing our opponents so far talking about lack of consistency). As a former journalist I'm banging my head against the wall.

I know he got an assist tonight, but I really don't get why we've signed Gabby Rogers. So far there's very little instinct, he takes too long to decide what he wants to do and more often than not plays it safe and/or gives the ball away. He was poor when he came on against Leamington, a little better tonight. But it doesn't bode well for the depth of our squad. Especially when we are a striker short.

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:32 am

I couldn't make the game, but listened on the radio.

So far this season I've seen nothing to counter my preseason fears that we've downgraded our forwards, we will miss Bajrami in a creative sense and that we'll need another option in goal.
Sam

cjh201170
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by cjh201170 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:57 am

Disjointed, lethargic and worryingly lacking in creativity and potency.
Sadly, we looked like a team of individuals, not playing to a particular style. After we pulled one back we seemed completely unable to capitalise on the sudden lift of gloom and doom which has presided during the game.
I found the complete lack of atmosphere in the ground disturbing but a fair reflection on what we were watching.
With the final third of last season and the beginning of this, I am sure questions are starting to be asked. We’ve struggled to replicate the free scoring and free flowing football of the first two thirds of last season for some time now.
Playing Ceesay as a central striker last night was mind boggling for me. He is a player of some pace, who we can you use when releasing the ball down the channels. His falling on the ball when presented with an excellent scoring opportunity from Hemings in the first half was enough for me to know he Is not a centre forward. Whether or not Fremantle is the answer long term, much to our frustration, being the only fit striker we have, had to start.
Either he’s still suffering from a knock or RP doesn’t think he’s good enough.
If it’s the latter, then why did we not bring in a quality striker during pre season?
Overall, a very disappointing night and one point from our first two games at home is not good enough.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:31 am

Swansea Harrier wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:52 pm
Fair play to Russ for fronting up. But not a single question about problems at the top end of the pitch or a mention if getting a new striker. Id gave loved to know why Lowe was withdrawn too (rather than some dithering question listing our opponents so far talking about lack of consistency). As a former journalist I'm banging my head against the wall.

I know he got an assist tonight, but I really don't get why we've signed Gabby Rogers. So far there's very little instinct, he takes too long to decide what he wants to do and more often than not plays it safe and/or gives the ball away. He was poor when he came on against Leamington, a little better tonight. But it doesn't bode well for the depth of our squad. Especially when we are a striker short.
Wasn’t there last night but I disagree on your assessment of Rogers. Against Leamington he came on created a couple of chances and generally looked to make things happen. He is a better option than Jaiden White was.
Mind boggling why Fremantle isn’t starting, Ceesay is not a central player, hasn’t the brain for it nor does he use his physical attributes for it.
Seen Palmer has a little bit of stick, anyone want to comment? Thought he was superb v Leamington.
We need a striker in, doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that.
Bad result but we go again.

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 am

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:45 pm
A very, very poor performance.
We were nowhere near good enough and Curzon deserve their win. They worked harder, wanted it more and were cleverer. And they took their chances. Credit to them. Mahon ran the show and they defended well although it's not as if we gave then that much to worry about.

The obvious point to make is that Ceesay is not a centre forward. He didn't win a header and can't play with his back to goal. He faded as the game went on too. What would you think if you were Ethan Freemantle? Is he not fit enough to start? Because he's had to watch us draw a blank on Saturday and then watch as he, our only fit recognised striker, is again left on the bench. He came on, made an impact, scored a goal and hit the bar. I'd be asking the manager what else I need to do.

Hemmings, TOE and Brown were very disappointing. Passing was sloppy, movement was poor, we were too slow of thinking, and were second to balls. They pressed us and we weren't good enough to play round them. Often being too slow in our approach play meaning they just had to be disciplined and block the attempt at a final pass .
Brown showed a little more I suppose. TOE - has he been sent from Hereford to sabotage us? He's got to do a lot more.
Hemmings' distribution was terrible. In fact most crosses were poor. What do we do all week?

The referee lost the plot. Curzon did what sides do in this league and agitated and influenced. But it's not the ref's fault we lost. Anyone seen evidence of Byrne telling everyone what he thinks yet? Maybe it'll happen behind closed doors - it needs to. That wasn't good enough.
I don't want players and a management team who are ill disciplined but at the end of the game we just stood looking sorry for ourselves. No one had anything to say to the ref. There was a lack of passion. Yes, I'm sure they do care, and Foulkes and Richards as always come out with credit (and the centre halves) but after two home games, one point and one goal against modest opposition please don't come on and tell me it's a long season. I don't think we have any right to beat Curzon or Leamington but I'm bored of playing part-time sides who do this to us. Perhaps playing some sides like Curzon pre season would have helped instead of under 20s from Liverpool.

We lacked any momentum at the back end of last season and this is not a good start. Lots of work for Russ to do. Im sure he knows it.
Sheff sums up my thoughts well.

I don't understand the negative responses to EF's performance last night. Whilst I was surprised Lowe was subbed, I thought he was having a very poor game compared to Saturday. Also I would like to see Rogers start a game before forming a view on his potential.

Well done Curzon - as others have implied they played better football than us on the night.

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:18 am

The overriding emotion I had on leaving Aggborough last night, was one of disappointment - on so many levels, most already touched on by others. I too feel we have morphed back to the Eusatace/Gordon days playing possession football for the sake of it, scared to take the risk of losing the ball. Harriers have become too easy to play against, too predictable and too easy to nullify. The tempo of the first hour of football was all too slow and ponderous, I would say almost boring !!! I'm not going to single out players for criticism but I was more than surprised that Freemantle didn't start, I would also ask why we need two central defensive midfielders playing in each others pocket, ala Southgate? Make no mistake Leamington and Curzon are not going to be challenging for the play offs - so what does that say about Harriers and of course Harriers are a full time football club. I think Russ has assembled a squad of talented players but as of yet he hasn't got a team/tactics that reflect the sum of the parts. I to wait to see how he is going to remedy what is fast becoming a mini crisis so early in the season, "Play it again Sam" ain't going to cut it! Saturday's game has just become that bit more significant. Struggled with a MotM but in the end went with NKP - one bright spot on a dull evening.

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:27 am

centreforeword wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:48 pm
Very little threat up front for most of the game.

Reminded me of the Colin Gordon days - tippy tappy, sideways and backwards and then when we eventually got it into the final third very little threat.

Often when we broke with the upper hand we checked and chose to play it backwards or sideways and lost the initiative.

Then we brought off one of the best players on the park.

Credit to Curzon, they came to play football, never sat back to try to protect their lead and deserved the win.

Big changes required Russ
Agree with all of this, excepting the last line. But I do think a few tweaks are in order and and a more positive mindset going forward.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:43 am

Swansea Harrier wrote:

Rogers has made more of a contribution in his two brief appearances than Hemmings has in the last two games. Shocking again last night and a lack of interest shown IMO.

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 am

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:32 am
So far this season I've seen nothing to counter my preseason fears that we've downgraded our forwards, we will miss Bajrami in a creative sense and that we'll need another option in goal.
I'm going to qualify this by saying that I don't think that Ceesay, TOE and Brown are bad players. I would have been delighted if they'd been added to supplement Austin and OSJ to compete for places and to come off the bench. If this had been the case, we'd retained Baj, and with our new midfield due we would have had a very good shot at winning the title outright.

[I realise that certain players may have been difficult to keep hold of, but we needed to replace like-for-like quality AND add a bit of depth for a tile challenge I think]

We had a thin squad last year (and again this year) - but I guess that's a consequence of being full-time pro without a sugar daddy.
Sam

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:58 am

Tamworth Harrier wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:43 am
Swansea Harrier wrote:

Rogers has made more of a contribution in his two brief appearances than Hemmings has in the last two games. Shocking again last night and a lack of interest shown IMO.
I totally agree about Hemmings. Bar last 10/15 minutes last night he's been dreadful since the Leamington penalty miss.

At least with Hemmo there is a threat when he's on his game.. I just don't see what Rogers brings. He's a winger but doesn't have great pace. He doesn't take on let alone beat his man. His shooting isn't very good. And he seems indecisive. Good assist last night, but at the death he had a chance to throw in a cross from a similar position. He paused, checked, let two Curzon men get at him and the ball had to go backwards. He's a different type of player to Jaiden White but I still think we need better - either to be an impact sub or challenge for a first team place. I do appreviste its difficult coming on with 15-20 minutes to get up to the pace of the game and have an impact. At the moment if the opposition saw him in our team I don't think they would be worried.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:00 am

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 am
Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:32 am
I'm going to qualify this by saying that I don't think that Ceesay, TOE and Brown are bad players. I would have been delighted if they'd been added to supplement Austin and OSJ to compete for places and to come off the bench. If this had been the case, we'd retained Baj, and with our new midfield due we would have had a very good shot at winning the title outright.

[I realise that certain players may have been difficult to keep hold of, but we needed to replace like-for-like quality AND add a bit of depth for a tile challenge I think]

We had a thin squad last year (and again this year) - but I guess that's a consequence of being full-time pro without a sugar daddy.
Good post.

The three attackers you mentioned had decent games on Saturday, all were off it last night. When your attacking unit has a collective off day it's always going to be very difficult. I guess if these players were more consistent they wouldn't be at this level.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:33 am