Ethan Freemantle
No votes

Total votes: 21

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: MotM: 12-05-22 Boston (H)

Post by Swansea Harrier » Thu May 12, 2022 11:56 pm

In the cold light of day, Russ and Jimmy will have to analyse that and pick apart where we improve. Some pretty obvious things stood out tonight.

1) Communication. How many times were two Harriers players going for the same ball? It caused two head injuries and subsequent concussion checks (Cameron and Richards colliding was totally unnecessary and frankly daft, more on Simpson later...). It saw us all at sea at the before the goal and as it was scored. And it directly cost us the second ball, when Wright Jnr's harmless chip was effectively headed out of Simpson's hands by Penny and into the net.

Were the players trying too hard? What made this happen time and again all night? Definitely the worst I've seen it.

2) Command of area. Luke Simpson just doesn't do this. Duxbury should have been yellow carded for charging into Luke, but if he'd been off his line earlier he'd have caught that with yards of space, not having to punch. Ecind half, a corner is floated in and a Boston man nods over from three yards out. Why isn't he claiming it?

Luke's a great shot stopper, but he's really got to work on helping the defence out more coming off his line. It was a weakness Boston had clearly identified.

3) Physically bullied/dominated. Lost the midfield battle, subsequently couldn't get the ball down and play and couldn't put them under sustained pressure. It was men vs boys in the 15 minutes up to half time. I am pleases they stood up to the physical onslaught from Boston second half and gave it a go, and at least forced their keeper to make some decent saves.

4) Tactics. I likes the shift to three at the back second half and it did appear to be making a difference until Bajrami played Keziah into trouble leading to their winner. But I cannot understand why we didn't stick someone on Shane Byrne to stop him dictating play.

I don't think we were that bad tonight, and it was a tight game that could gave gone either way - but there were a lot of 6 and 7 out of 10 performances. A word for Hemmo, ice cool composure with that quality finish when it mattered. Perhaps tonight shows why Boston might be slightly better suited to the step up while we aren't quite ready yet.

I'm not as disappointed as after Chorley or BPA, to be honest part of me had seen it coming since early March. But we've got to use it as a blessing in disguise. We've got a decent base, learn the tough lessons from tonight, add to the squad, go again.

It's the hope that kills you...
Last edited by Swansea Harrier on Fri May 13, 2022 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red Bear
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Red Bear » Fri May 13, 2022 12:12 am

Whilst understandable given the abject disappointment of the result, the initial reactions I've seen on here and elsewhere seem overly harsh to me. Yes, we weren't great but I didn't think we were that bad (apart from the multiple central defensive bloopers), rather Boston were on the top of their game. And I'm not just a happy clapper, I've been infuriated by our play at times this season. As is probably often the case, I would suggest that the margins were finer than people make out.

Boston were on us from the off and never let up, playing right to the limit of what the ref would let them get away with in midfield and with their No. 5 being a master of the dark arts. It seemed to me that the ref was letting all sorts go in the middle of the park but blowing up in favour of the defenders at every coming together (at both ends.)

I believed at half-time that we would come back just like against Reading and when Ash scored it seemed it was only going one way. And then, like so many times this season, we unnecessarily played ourselves into trouble from the back....

I don't really agree with the various criticisms I've seen and heard re. the substitutions. I do agree that 85mins was a bit late for Freemantle to come on but we were in the ascendancy after we scored and I understand that Russ would want to see if we could continue in the same vein after their second. Unfortunately the lack of strength in depth to the squad was laid bare, with the only other attacking player being Jaiden, who I don't think would have improved things. Even if it's not going to plan, it's only worth making more subs if you think that they're going to improve matters - and I don't believe they would.

Gutting but I still believe/hope that the club is generally heading in the right direction. My optimism for next season however depends on the comings and goings over the summer. At the moment, my main frustration remains how we allowed ourselves to fall into this bloody league in the first place, which so many of us knew would be so difficult to escape.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Fri May 13, 2022 12:16 am

Red Bear wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 12:12 am
Whilst understandable given the abject disappointment of the result, the initial reactions I've seen on here and elsewhere seem overly harsh to me. Yes, we weren't great but I didn't think we were that bad (apart from the multiple central defensive bloopers), rather Boston were on the top of their game. And I'm not just a happy clapper, I've been infuriated by our play at times this season. As is probably often the case, I would suggest that the margins were finer than people make out.

Boston were on us from the off and never let up, playing right to the limit of what the ref would let them get away with in midfield and with their No. 5 being a master of the dark arts. It seemed to me that the ref was letting all sorts go in the middle of the park but blowing up in favour of the defenders at every coming together (at both ends.)

I believed at half-time that we would come back just like against Reading and when Ash scored it seemed it was only going one way. And then, like so many times this season, we unnecessarily played ourselves into trouble from the back....

I don't really agree with the various criticisms I've seen and heard re. the substitutions. I do agree that 85mins was a bit late for Freemantle to come on but we were in the ascendancy after we scored and I understand that Russ would want to see if we could continue in the same vein after their second. Unfortunately the lack of strength in depth to the squad was laid bare, with the only other attacking player being Jaiden, who I don't think would have improved things. Even if it's not going to plan, it's only worth making more subs if you think that they're going to improve matters - and I don't believe they would.

Gutting but I still believe/hope that the club is generally heading in the right direction. My optimism for next season however depends on the comings and goings over the summer. At the moment, my main frustration remains how we allowed ourselves to fall into this bloody league in the first place, which so many of us knew would be so difficult to escape.
Beautifully put Red Bear, must say I agree with most of that. Especially the bit about us allowing ourselves to slide to this level in the first place... its a right bottleneck for clubs trying to get promoted.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Fri May 13, 2022 12:56 am

I’m not sure I’m feeling quite as charitable. Quite frankly we were pathetic tonight and exited the season with barely a whimper.

The disappointing part is that it was so predictable. The run since West Ham has been shocking. In fact after beating Boston at home shortly after the FA cup defeat we then picked up just 18 points off our last 16 games. That’s just over a third of the season with form that in normal years with 4 going down would equate to being in the relegation zone if carried across the whole season.

Of course we had some great highs this season but ultimately we really were a mile off being promoted.

Fingers crossed for a good summer of retention and additions to the squad bit with just one up automatically I fear we may find ourselves experiencing Groundhog Day for a good while longer.

Time to enjoy the summer and come back with renewed enthusiasm in August. Any chance of Scarborough away for the first game please?

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Fri May 13, 2022 1:03 am

There’s more chance of me winning miss world than Bajrami being here in a couple of months time.
Never give up on your dream Shane.
Sam

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 am

Last 17 games W4
Last 8 away W0
Gateshead L2 GF 2 GA 7
Brackley L2 GF 0 GA 3
Fylde L2 GF 1 GA 3
No improvement of team or squad since February. Surely local league teams have a quality player or two available on loan?
Simply not good enough to go up and a 3 year contract is just bizarre.
Last night, out thought, out fought and outplayed. Only Cameron, Hemmings and possibly Foulkes played anything like.
Can we kick on, improve on 4th.....massive summer for Russ. Whole new midfield will be required just to start....
On the positive, vastly better than I expected last summer and what a cup run!

howells
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by howells » Fri May 13, 2022 7:00 am

Set up was wrong from the start . Shocking

Grenoble Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grenoble Harrier » Fri May 13, 2022 8:28 am

Biggest anti-climax to a season I can remember.
Promised SO much in January. We've been in freefall for the past 4 months.
Great to make a few bob from the FA Cup, but I think Cup mania helped to derail our season.

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Fri May 13, 2022 8:43 am

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:03 am
There’s more chance of me winning miss world than Bajrami being here in a couple of months time.
Never give up on your dream Shane.
Well if he stays, I’m gonna have to have some awkward conversations. In the words of Sid in an episode of Only Fools and Horses, I’ll have to take my foster tits with me!
He who dares...wins

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Fri May 13, 2022 9:12 am

I have been quite defensive of the club/players over the course of the season but that last night was, as Harry said, dross.
Second to everything, set up which seemed to be a 451 with AMS totally isolated and 3 central midfielders loosing a battle.
Had a good 15 minutes in where their keeper pulled off a worldy then we scored. The second goal was a complete balls up.
Foulkes leading the way on the man of the matches? I must have been watching a different game as his opponent consistently dominated him, was totally bullied and was not mature enough to be in the game. Should have been hauled off at half time for Lowe who can win the ball (seemed to be an issue for us last night) and Penny moved to right back.
The Simpson injury was caused by Simpson hesitating not coming for the ball. Camerons injury lack of communication not calling for a ball which you would get a rollocking for at Sunday level, never mind the professional game. All really poor stuff.
Austin, despite being out of form past couple of months, would have helped made the difference tonight. As we have no one to come on to go in that ten role, we should have gone 442 rather than how we set up yesterday. Freemantles introduction at the end was too little and too late from a hesitant Penn.
Massive learning curve for Penn tonight. Squad needs strengthening. Rumour is Preston will be coming back, I hope its true. Type of player we need. Midfield needs looking at. Weak and non-creative.
Only saving grace for us is we have a few players tied up for next season. I doubt we will see Baj again but to be honest I am surprised he have held onto him for this long.
Surprised no one mentioned the fire work being set off in the north stand.

Murphy
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Murphy » Fri May 13, 2022 9:18 am

No matter what excuses we come up with - Boston thoroughly deserved their win last night. Shane seems to have summed things up very accurately, and to be honest, we could have gone in 2 or 3 down at half time. For whatever reason, Penny and Cameron (among others) reserved their weakest performances of the season for last night's game. Really disappointed that Russ didn't make sub(s) sooner i.e. too little, too late, but he has the habit of doing that.
Now. Who's not going to be retained for next season? Any suggestions?

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:32 am

Think I mentioned the fireworks, Tony, but I'll forgive you for not reading all of my War and Peace entry!

Anyone see or hear what Penn said to someone in the East Stand at full time? Apparently looked quite tense...
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 am

From the moment Harriers finally exited the FA Cup, other teams marked us as the team to beat.

We needed to strengthen in the middle of the park and up front after that, we had a team of exhausted players physically and mentally and they’ve never recovered - hopefully the experience will give experience to the powers that be at how a cup run can de-rail your season. Ditto Boreham Wood

Playing players out of position is never a good thing

Gutted today

Not helped by having to drive passed the Fylde stadium this morning for work…

millzeuk
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by millzeuk » Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 am

Outplayed and outfought

I’m surprised no one has mentioned how completely and utterly Sterling was missing in action in the first half. Repeatedly didn’t track his runner, pulled out of tackles and seemed to have stage fright. I know he was against the undoubted MoM but first goal and numerous chances came from him not tracking and chasing back. I appreciate it’s not his game but the amount of trouble they caused down that flank all game and Penn doing nothing to combat it speaks volumes about squad depth

No idea what happened with the second goal other than it being a complete cock up but it had been coming all game with the communication between the back five seeming non existent.

We’ll look back on the season with some great memories, but it’s ultimately been a failure (despite it being hugely enjoyable at times) and full of “what if….” moments. Will next seasons squad be much better than the one we’ve seen this season? We certainly need more leaders and “nastiness” if we’re ever to get out of this league

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Fri May 13, 2022 9:36 am

Sorry Harry, to be honest it was a comprehensive read I only skim read.
Stirling waste of space last night again, has looked lazy past two months. Would happily see us get rid. Martin be a good squad player but he needs to be replaced in the 11 by another new midfielder. And we need more options off the bench. White needs to go out on loan.
Fair play to Boston, with a decent centr forward could have been 4-1