Jaiden White
No votes

Total votes: 18

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 23-10-21 Bradford PA (H)

Post by TWG85 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:49 pm

Good game, I thought. Chalk and cheese from Brackley and Bradford were a breath of fresh air. Though much like Blyth, they were so at their peril.

In their moments they looked to get fairly high up the pitch, showed adventure and knocked it around. Was quite surprised with their style of play, given the Target Man up top Nowakowski and Rawson on the right, with a big height advantage over Caleb Richards.

Honestly thought they were worthy of going in at half-time with a draw. Last ten-fifteen minutes they had the lion's share of possession and created some dangerous situations. Rest of it was really a midfield battle and hot potato football, but even then it wasn't a bore, with Harriers two goals I think coming from their only shots, and not a great deal of superiority.

Second half however sliced them to ribbons. Midfield continued to attempt to close down early only the backline were far behind, the crispness and tempo was too great, Harriers were more combative, and they were run ragged for a spell. They did make a late rally and caused Penny some problems down his side last fifteen minutes, but the game was gone.

Really enjoyed the tempo and fluidity second half, some great runs, Harriers looked to play a bit more back-to-front which was welcome. Though perhaps was to their detriment at times.

Thought Sterling (who was due a big performance) & Hemmings were excellent, Cameron again at the back. Penny I feel had his best game for awhile excluding the last fifteen, which'll help his confidence...

Great stuff.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Bradford passed the ball around in periods very well, but didn`t show much in the last 3rd.

Another game where its difficult to pick out a mom, Hemmings was much improved, Freemantle probably cemented his starting position.

Elliot Bond, showed good skill in warm up, not much to go on during game but looks like a ball playing midfielder rather than ball winner.

Deserved comfortable win, hopefully we can get on a good run now.

Glad there was plenty of action for the NHS to enjoy, hope some will be converted to Harriers.

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Pre match, not much from BPA stood out to me so expected us to come out winners by a couple of goals. Didn’t see a 5–1 though. Pleasure to watch the game alongside TWG, and as has been said they had some moments but first half was a battle but between the first and second goals I felt we were always comfortable.

Second half was what we had been after all season. Bower is bemoaning worldies, and yeah we scored some crackers but the word that came to mind about BPA was “game”, if a little short on quality.

I may be harsh here, but second half was typical Luca Havern from what I recall seeing him over the years at Alty et al. Hates pace, can be got at. We did that second half and got our rewards. The first time we isolated him he stuck out a lazy leg and we nearly scored. He gave away the free kick from which OSJ scored. We got him booked. We nearly capitalised again and whether it was by design or not, it was good targeted play from OSJ/Hemmo. Amazed Rawson, their big number 9, was farmed out wide and we did a great job in making him concentrate on his defensive duties.

It’s fair to say we’ve been waiting for a big performance from OSJ and Hemmings and they’ve delivered, OSJ with 2 goals, Hemmings with a goal and an assist. Hopefully the catalyst for them to kick on with a bit of confidence now ahead of two tough fixtures against Chorley and Spennymoor
He who dares...wins

koro
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by koro » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:19 pm

Glad to see some players enjoy good games today, especially Hemmings, Sterling and Penney. Cameron and Bajrami looked assured today.

I see and hear a lot of comments about how good Freemantle is. I can see he works hard but am I the only one who doesn't get it ? For me, AMS made a positive difference when he came on.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Great result. Looking forward to seeing the goals.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:14 pm

I think Bradford pressed too much in the first half but it did work for them as we didn't really have a chance to breath. Somehow got 2 goals still not sure how but Bradford couldn't create anything either they seem to lack a lot of creativity in the final third.

Second half we dominated though I think BPA had tired from the first half as we were given a lot more space and you can't give players like Sterling, Hemmings and Austin space as they'll exploit it. Their keeper won't want to see some of our goals again though specifically the first and third. Spilling a shot and then letting one in at the near post is never a good look.

Fantastic second half overall and I think we managed it quite well like BPA tire themselves and killed the game with 2 quick goals.

Chorley won't be easy on Tuesday but hopefully we can carry like we did in that second half

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mac » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:57 am

Went to the match. A much needed confidence builder ahead of a tough match on Tuesday. Offensively we looked good today with Hemmings, Austin, Sterling and Freemantle all making valuable contributions making a poor side look very poor particularly in the 2nd half. Bajrami continues to show he is a class act and should be playing at a much higher standard. Thought Cameron, Richards, Penny, Carrington, Martin all had solid games and nobody had a below par game.

Although we looked good offensively there are still concerns for me. RP needs to focus attention on defensive set plays as once again we conceded from one and this needs to be worked on. Sometimes we look light in midfield and against better opponents it is imperative that Hemmings and Sterling track back with runners. Although Carrington and Martin work hard and put the tackles in they sometimes need an extra body to help break up opposing threats.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:00 am

Mac wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:57 am
Went to the match. A much needed confidence builder ahead of a tough match on Tuesday. Offensively we looked good today with Hemmings, Austin, Sterling and Freemantle all making valuable contributions making a poor side look very poor particularly in the 2nd half. Bajrami continues to show he is a class act and should be playing at a much higher standard. Thought Cameron, Richards, Penny, Carrington, Martin all had solid games and nobody had a below par game.

Although we looked good offensively there are still concerns for me. RP needs to focus attention on defensive set plays as once again we conceded from one and this needs to be worked on. Sometimes we look light in midfield and against better opponents it is imperative that Hemmings and Sterling track back with runners. Although Carrington and Martin work hard and put the tackles in they sometimes need an extra body to help break up opposing threats.
:like: :like: :like: :grouphug:

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:09 am

A very fair review of the game from Mac - and also a fair reflection of where we are as a club. I suspect that RP would disagree with very little of it.

Looking at the bigger picture, if we did gain promotion - do we have the resources to sustain it? I know little about the financial details of the club but I suspect that many successful non-league clubs are subsidised by their owners. That may not not lead to a level playing field (if you will excuse the pun) but it is the world in which we operate.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:05 am

koro wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:19 pm
Glad to see some players enjoy good games today, especially Hemmings, Sterling and Penney. Cameron and Bajrami looked assured today.

I see and hear a lot of comments about how good Freemantle is. I can see he works hard but am I the only one who doesn't get it ? For me, AMS made a positive difference when he came on.
I'm with you, to an extent. I often think his hold up play isn't the best and he doesn't win many headers. He does however make himself a real nuisance, has a bit of pace and makes decent runs.

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:47 pm

TWG85 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:05 am
koro wrote:

I'm with you, to an extent. I often think his hold up play isn't the best and he doesn't win many headers. He does however make himself a real nuisance, has a bit of pace and makes decent runs.
Always works incredibly hard - that is usually why he is subbed - he's knackered and never let's up. His goal yesterday came from his concentration and eagerness to be first to react. Others may not have got there...

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:11 pm

Some quality moments saw us through after a very slow start. Enjoyed the goals. Bradford are somewhat unlucky to be on the end of that scoreline.

Sterling and Hemmings are undoubtedly talented and capable of those moments. They still really frustrate me though! Giving the ball away and some token defensive efforts. But look, they played well.

"Although we looked good offensively there are still concerns for me. RP needs to focus attention on defensive set plays as once again we conceded from one and this needs to be worked on. Sometimes we look light in midfield and against better opponents it is imperative that Hemmings and Sterling track back with runners. Although Carrington and Martin work hard and put the tackles in they sometimes need an extra body to help break up opposing threats."

Agree with this.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:52 pm

A much needed win after our recent defeats in the league and although we probably were not 5 - 1 better than BPA we finished the chances we had with a level of ruthlessness to wrap up the three points. The BPA keeper had a tough afternoon presenting Freemantle with the first and OSJ with a free kick gem that saw the keeper not in the best of positions.

AMS looked somewhat quicker than in previous games when he came on but Freemantle's energy, persistence and constant chasing leaves little time for the opposition keeper and defence to rest easy. Freemantle's goal was earned by those abilities and settled us in the first half when the first goal was always going to be very important.

Away to Chorley followed by at home to Spennymoor will surely be much harder tasks but we have the confidence of finishing chances with power and accuracy that have not always been there in recent league games and long may those qualities remain for we will surely need them.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:01 am

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mac » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:30 pm

koro wrote:

For me Freemantle has been a major positive and his overall workrate and commitment for the team has been fantastic. The team plays much better when he is in the team and his desire to perform is in my opinion something AMS can learn from. Factor in the age difference and his potential to progress it is a total no brainer in starting Freemantle. Personally I have not been impressed by AMS and to be brutally honest his best days have gone and it would be difficult to legislate for a contract extension.

It is imperative that we look to the future and players like Tolley, Lissimore, Jaiden White and Bastable should get opportunities to get valuable game time over players who are in their twilight years and struggling at this level / free wheeling down the hill.
Last edited by Mac on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.