Marcus Dinanga
No votes

Total votes: 26

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 29-01-22 Gloucester (H)

Post by garthrockett » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:00 pm

Someone wants to explain what "context" means to young Neil........
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

BobGreenwoodsDad
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by BobGreenwoodsDad » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:54 pm

I accept that I am not, of course, objective but I thought Gloucester were one of the most niggly cynical teams that I have seen for a while. They should have had two or three yellow cards in the first half. To be fair, I do think AMS threw himself to the ground a few times in the second half - but I think that was in frustration at having been the object of assault and battery for the previous 60 minutes

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:46 pm

I am so glad I don't have to watch Gloucester City every week. Those fans deserve some kind of endurance award. I fear we may be in for another abomination of a game on Tuesday - five holding players across midfield and a competition to see who can whack the ball highest and farthest preferably out of the ground. It was ever thus. We play well against footballing sides but against the all-in wrestlers and niggly thugs of the lower leagues we struggle. Still keep playing football lads and don't lump it just because they are.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:41 pm

Gloucester deserved their point. We lacked the guile needed to cut them open. We didn't make their keeper work hard enough. Those slide balls between centre halves were lacking. The endeavour was there though. Onwards.

Murphy
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Murphy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:10 pm

On a separate note, although we enjoyed a half decent gate yesterday, I was just wondering where the 'missing Harriers 1,500+ fans (who have bagged themselves a West Ham ticket) were yesterday.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:29 pm

Harry Aire wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:46 pm
I am so glad I don't have to watch Gloucester City every week. Those fans deserve some kind of endurance award. I fear we may be in for another abomination of a game on Tuesday - five holding players across midfield and a competition to see who can whack the ball highest and farthest preferably out of the ground. It was ever thus. We play well against footballing sides but against the all-in wrestlers and niggly thugs of the lower leagues we struggle. Still keep playing football lads and don't lump it just because they are.
We do of course always seem to play better against teams who themselves want to come and play however there is a stark difference between results we have obtained against the lower teams vs the higher placed sides.

We have played 14 games vs teams currently placed 10th or below and Saturday's draw was only the second time we have dropped points. 12 wins and 2 draws from those fixtures. Contrast that with just a single win in 8 games vs teams in the top 9.

I do wonder if there is some merit in the theory that with only 1 going down this year that more bottom half teams are playing with a bit more freedom than usual, Gloucester being a notable exception!

If that is the case then provided we can exit March after a tough set of fixtures in a reasonable position we have a very welcome looking run in with potentially our last 8 or 9 games almost exclusively vs teams with very little to play for.

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:42 pm

Murphy wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:10 pm
On a separate note, although we enjoyed a half decent gate yesterday, I was just wondering where the 'missing Harriers 1,500+ fans (who have bagged themselves a West Ham ticket) were yesterday.
Working, then looking after my two-year-old son, Murphy. Hope that info helps.

Tom.10
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Tom.10 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:00 pm

Murphy wrote:
Sick of this self rightous "you don't deserve a West Ham ticket if you don't go to every game". its a 200 mile round trip for me to Aggbrough yet I've attended over half home games this season and a few away. I wasn't there Saturday but will be at the West Ham game. Does someone deserve my ticket more? There are a lot of genuine fans who can't be at every game, and a lot will have struggled financially to attend yesterday after forking out for the West Ham ticket

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:40 am

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:34 am

Tom.10 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:00 pm
Murphy wrote:
Sick of this self rightous "you don't deserve a West Ham ticket if you don't go to every game". its a 200 mile round trip for me to Aggbrough yet I've attended over half home games this season and a few away. I wasn't there Saturday but will be at the West Ham game. Does someone deserve my ticket more? There are a lot of genuine fans who can't be at every game, and a lot will have struggled financially to attend yesterday after forking out for the West Ham ticket
Well said. I was working Saturday also. Always been this attitude from a minority for years but its mainly from those who literally have nothing else going on in their lives. Bet they are fun at parties.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:56 am

tonythescout wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:34 am
Tom.10 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:00 pm
Murphy wrote:
Well said. I was working Saturday also. Always been this attitude from a minority for years but its mainly from those who literally have nothing else going on in their lives. Bet they are fun at parties.
Just focus on the blindingly obvious positives - the crowds are on a par with our League 2 days at the minute...absolutely fantastic.

Lots of harriers fans live further afield and if you want to put off the new ones, glory hunter or otherwise, then create a 'in group' 'out group' dynamic. It's all a bit mean girls.

We have a reputation for being welcoming and friendly so lets keep it that way.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:21 am

Agree, there is so much to be positive about this season and this game (as huge as it is for multiple reasons) is one highlight among many.

If you missed out on a ticket (like me) watch it on the box and appreciate the fact we've got this far, sold the place out (twice) and maybe have some financial clout to strengthen and build the club back towards the National League as a result.
Last edited by Mayo on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:22 pm

Perfectly valid question about attendances IMHO; and worth consideration......

An interesting dynamic in that Farsley Celtic's visit on a Tuesday after Reading saw an unusual spike in home fans attending, before succeeding Saturday home games saw a drop off in home supporters (taking out the York support, natch).

So far this season we have the second best home gates average in the NLN (approx 1800, with York miles above everyone else on over 2800).
We have yet to host Hereford which should edge the average up a further notch.

I don't recall a figure set by RL or the board for a 'break-even' gate-receipt wise, though I suspect they must be currently happy with the figures?
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:56 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:22 pm
Perfectly valid question about attendances IMHO; and worth consideration......

An interesting dynamic in that Farsley Celtic's visit on a Tuesday after Reading saw an unusual spike in home fans attending, before succeeding Saturday home games saw a drop off in home supporters (taking out the York support, natch).

So far this season we have the second best home gates average in the NLN (approx 1800, with York miles above everyone else on over 2800).
We have yet to host Hereford which should edge the average up a further notch.

I don't recall a figure set by RL or the board for a 'break-even' gate-receipt wise, though I suspect they must be currently happy with the figures?
I imagine with how RL has spoken before, the break-even would be roughly what our average was pre-pandemic, but it's complete guesswork.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:26 pm

Any attendance of over 2,000 in this league is decent (Given the away followings are poor in numbers in this league, 150 from Gloucester Saturday is horrendous), considering home attendances were around that when we almost won the league under Burr in the conference also.
I do recall in our League days there were a number of occasions home crowds were around 2000-2200. We are two leagues below that now, and we aren't even top of the league 2000 is brilliant.