Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:38 pm
harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:09 pm
harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:57 pm
Oh dear. Sounds like someone has no idea at all. Or is out in trolling force. As the song that’s currently playing says, “come on, you’ve got to let me know”
He's allowed to have an opinion isn't he?
Of course, I’ll never deny that. But come on. “Part time team that pull 500 so on the balance that we pull 2-3x the crowd and are full time we should spank them”

Completely ignoring any semblance of logic and knowledge of anything to do with the league, Brackley, or their recent form.

By all means, have an opinion, but if you’re going to be absurd, let’s at least try and qualify it.

So without studying it intensely, who are Brackley?

Well. Since we’ve been down here, they’ve surely got one of, if not the highest average finishing position in the league.

Most people know Danny Lewis has been one of the best keepers in the non league game for what, 10-15 years now? Most people who watch this level know the name Gaz Dean and what he is. Ditto Ndlovu. In fact, I’d be quite willing to bet statistically speaking he’d be a top 3 for goal scorers in this league since we’ve been down here, accounting for Taylor and Rowe. If you want me to look into that, let me know. Challenge accepted.

I know I can be a lot more granular than most, which is why I wasn’t surprised when Twariq Yusef curled one in, so I’ll forgive people not having a clue about him. But to make silly statements on a team like Brackley, off the back of the vast majority of previous contributions, sometimes you’ve gotta ask if someone’s taking the piss.
It is galling to be turned over by these sides again and again and again over the years. Little Brackley who've recruited well and done things correctly.
I get what you're saying. It was always a tough game. I expected to lose.

We know they have a good side. Yes they've got some experienced players in form. It just emphasises how we haven't. Being able to point this out and being ok with it once again just shows where we are and that we just seem to accept it.

You need to accept that not everyone is a scholar of the non-league game Shane. They do see that it's £18 to get in and we are full time and then watch us not get a sniff at home and wonder what the point is.
I don’t expect people to be a scholar of the game Sheff. I’m fully aware I’m in the weird camp! Point taken though, I know what you’re saying. I get your last point and if we were discussing casual fans, of which I’m sure there were many today, then definitely. But you’ve said it yourself. You’ve watched plenty of games to know what they are and we’re up against it. Hell, even a cursory glance at a league table shows it’s a tough game.

Silliness like this “we are bigger than them therefore we win” would’ve been fine in the early years down here. It’s what, six years now? That makes us just the same as a little old Brackley. We may not like it but it’s what it is.

And that’s before we get into a “what is a big club?” conversation. Let’s not digress…
He who dares...wins

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 09-10-21 Brackley Town (H)

Post by TWG85 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:08 pm

Very poor game, I thought. Very dull affair. And Harriers played right into their hands.

To their credit they defended ever so well. Gareth Dean and young Louie Lomas were superb, they were doubling and tripling up on Harriers out wide etc. but it was just far too easy. Real lack of bravery in possession, lack of tempo, of urgency, lack of variety. Apart from a 10 minute spell in the first half, there was just nothing.

Carrington I thought had a very good game, Cameron at the back, Freemantle as usual gave his all for the cause. Can't say a good word for anybody else, really. Much, much improvement needed to sustain a play-off challenge.

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:10 pm

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:00 pm
Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:55 pm
They turned up and paid their hard earned money. Do you want them to stay at home instead?
Yes, if they're going to sing 'we're f'ing shit' at the players while there's a match still going on. By all means moan about it afterwards.
Exactly. Wouldn’t be the same bunch singing how shit we are who we’re singing about winning the league when we beat York, or off to Wembley when we beat Khalsa and Ware.

Yes, I know football is fickle, football fandom is fickle. It doesn’t have to be stupid though. A fan is a supporter. Clues in the word. Jeez Louise
He who dares...wins

millzeuk
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by millzeuk » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Poor today. Didn’t trouble their defence a anyway near enough. Carrington and Freemantle did ok, the rest way below par

Brackley are a good side, well organised and looked dangerous going forward. Ndlovu was a problem through out

AMS shouldn’t be starting, not anything currently and Bell must be given a fair crack of the whip

Need to break this poor run ASAP

Badger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Badger » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:29 pm

No tempo what so ever, starting from Simpson, someone needs to tell him when we are 2 down in the first half that’s the time to get the ball back in play , he at times took longer than Lewis their keeper. When we play with tempo and move ball quickly and with purpose we are the best team in the league, however we were off the pace completely today. They went 1 up and then just dictated the game speed.

I really don’t understand what was going on taking AMS off it was his best game so far this season he battled everything along with Fremantle, so I was totally gobsmacked when he was taken off , should have been Sam Austin , Martin or Carrington or Penny and gone 3 At the back I did think Sterling tried when e came on

We need to strengthen the squad , so good loan signings would be useful. Midfield playmaker , please!!!
"Have more than you show, speak less than you know." - Shakespeare

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 09-10-21 Brackley Town (H)

Post by Mac » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:38 pm

harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:06 pm
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
harriershane wrote:
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
harriershane wrote:
Oh dear. Sounds like someone has no idea at all. Or is out in trolling force. As the song that’s currently playing says, “come on, you’ve got to let me know”
Of course, I’ll never deny that. But come on. “Part time team that pull 500 so on the balance that we pull 2-3x the crowd and are full time we should spank them”

Completely ignoring any semblance of logic and knowledge of anything to do with the league, Brackley, or their recent form.

By all means, have an opinion, but if you’re going to be absurd, let’s at least try and qualify it.

Well. Since we’ve been down here, they’ve surely got one of, if not the highest average finishing position in the league.

Most people know Danny Lewis has been one of the best keepers in the non league game for what, 10-15 years now? Most people who watch this level know the name Gaz Dean and what he is. Ditto Ndlovu. In fact, I’d be quite willing to bet statistically speaking he’d be a top 3 for goal scorers in this league since we’ve been down here, accounting for Taylor and Rowe. If you want me to look into that, let me know. Challenge accepted.

I know I can be a lot more granular than most, which is why I wasn’t surprised when Twariq Yusef curled one in, so I’ll forgive people not having a clue about him. But to make silly statements on a team like Brackley, off the back of the vast majority of previous contributions, sometimes you’ve gotta ask if someone’s taking the piss.
It is galling to be turned over by these sides again and again and again over the years. Little Brackley who've recruited well and done things correctly.

We know they have a good side. Yes they've got some experienced players in form. It just emphasises how we haven't. Being able to point this out and being ok with it once again just shows where we are and that we just seem to accept it.

You need to accept that not everyone is a scholar of the non-league game Shane. They do see that it's £18 to get in and we are full time and then watch us not get a sniff at home and wonder what the point is.
I don’t expect people to be a scholar of the game Sheff. I’m fully aware I’m in the weird camp! Point taken though, I know what you’re saying. I get your last point and if we were discussing casual fans, of which I’m sure there were many today, then definitely. But you’ve said it yourself. You’ve watched plenty of games to know what they are and we’re up against it. Hell, even a cursory glance at a league table shows it’s a tough game.

Silliness like this “we are bigger than them therefore we win” would’ve been fine in the early years down here. It’s what, six years now? That makes us just the same as a little old Brackley. We may not like it but it’s what it is.

And that’s before we get into a “what is a big club?” conversation. Let’s not digress…
We are not just the same as little old Brackley. They are and have consistently been better than us. What was the score today?

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:51 pm

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Re: 09-10-21 Brackley Town (H)

Post by harriershane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:38 pm
harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:06 pm
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
harriershane wrote:
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
harriershane wrote:

We are not just the same as little old Brackley. They are and have consistently been better than us. What was the score today?
Changed your tune from an easy 3-0 win because they’re part time with an attendance of 500 who could afford an extra minibus if they were full time, have we?
He who dares...wins

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:59 pm

One of those matches where you have to put up your hands and say we we beaten by a team who were higher quality, more physical, better focussed and more organised.
Over and above that, the game encapsulated for me the ongoing issues we have existing in NLN that need addressing if we are ever to progress.

The game again highlighted the fact that when chasing a game we are incapable of breaking down two defensive lines of four. This was an issue in 2015 under Eustace, and which successive coaches still havent resolved.
Our best player this season by far -Berjami- was also made to look decidedly average by a seasoned burly veteran like Ndlov, who I'd swop for AMS in an instant. The NLN spawns players that suit the league with specific -if limited- talents. These players are in demand and in short supply. We havent enough of them.
We play too much football, in the mistaken assumption total football will get out of this pub league. As Brackley showed, functional, well drilled simplicity trumps "the right way". We still havent learnt this lesson.

The match also for me puts to bed the notion that KHFC at present are serious candidates for first or second phase play off places.
The likes of Fylde, Brackley and Gateshead all prove the 'Lane era' as yet is no more progressive than the 'Gordon era', and that without serious investment and more astute player recruitment mid-table is our expected domain for the forseeable future.....with a FA Cup or Trophy run an enjoyable distraction.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:11 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:59 pm
One of those matches where you have to put up your hands and say we we beaten by a team who were higher quality, more physical, better focussed and more organised.
Over and above that, the game encapsulated for me the ongoing issues we have existing in NLN that need addressing if we are ever to progress.

The game again highlighted the fact that when chasing a game we are incapable of breaking down two defensive lines of four. This was an issue in 2015 under Eustace, and which successive coaches still havent resolved.
Our best player this season by far -Berjami- was also made to look decidedly average by a seasoned burly veteran like Ndlov, who I'd swop for AMS in an instant. The NLN spawns players that suit the league with specific -if limited- talents. These players are in demand and in short supply. We havent enough of them.
We play too much football, in the mistaken assumption total football will get out of this pub league. As Brackley showed, functional, well drilled simplicity trumps "the right way". We still havent learnt this lesson.

The match also for me puts to bed the notion that KHFC at present are serious candidates for first or second phase play off places.
The likes of Fylde, Brackley and Gateshead all prove the 'Lane era' as yet is no more progressive than the 'Gordon era', and that without serious investment and more astute player recruitment mid-table is our expected domain for the forseeable future.....with a FA Cup or Trophy run an enjoyable distraction.
Perfect

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:32 pm

It is hard to judge how good Brackley were because we were so far off our usual standards. Passing was poor. The tempo and urgency weren't there from the start, and even if we did break we gave the yellow shirts time to get back behind the ball. The keeper was slipping over all afternoon and the full backs were shanking the ball out of play all the time. That's not us - it was just one of those collective off days.

What Brackley were were well organised and well prepared. They knew where and how we were going to try and attack and shut those avenues down, aggressively pressing us and closing down the space. They were more than happy for us to pass it among our centre backs.

They kept things simple - balls down the channels, safety first and no nonsense. They certainly weren't pretty or entertaining to watch, but they got the job done with plenty to spare.

They physically dominated us. They were allowed to, firstly by a very weak ref and secondly by winning all the individual battles. Our back line looked scared stiff of Ndlovu - he gave Bajrami the runaround and by the 70-minute mark we'd given up challenging him for aerial duels. A true admission of defeat.

It is strange because we had our chances today, but all too often we were rushed and panicky and made errors on the ball. Maybe that's where Brackley's excellence lies - they pressed us hard in the right areas and forced the mistakes.

It's a day to write off, but its two weeks until our next league fixture when we will have to put things right. Dare I say it, but the FA Cup seems to be getting in the way...

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:07 pm

I should add I was also concerned by our lack of a Plan B. Plan A wasn't working, but all we did when bringing substitutes on was shoe horn them into the existing shape. Which Brackley were all over.

It meant players were moved around again (Austin from out wide to holding midfielder, Freemantle from up front into the No 10 role). There was no attempt to try causing Brackley any fresh problems, just different players trying the same thing.

I felt Hemmings was frustratingly ineffective again. Still trying to hold on to the ball too long, often giving possession away or trying something too clever. Delivery from out wide very inconsistent too.

Plenty to work on before Bedfont Sports and Bradford PA...

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mac » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 pm

What Penn has to realise is that there was 1700 people standing and sitting in the Home Stands of the ground. The vast majority of these people left the ground today very disappointed as the standard of football served was poor. More worrying (apart from a few players) there was a lack of desire and determination to compete and win and wear the shirt with pride. I totally agree Hemmings was ineffective but this has been the case for some time now and can not be allowed to continue. RP has lots to work on come Monday and if he does not deliver improvement he will lose more matches and people coming through the turnstiles and ultimately his job. His managerial inexperience time elapsed a good while back so now it is time to show us all what he is really about and turn the team from pussy cats into tigers.

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mac » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:00 pm

harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:10 pm
Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:00 pm
Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:55 pm
They turned up and paid their hard earned money. Do you want them to stay at home instead?
Yes, if they're going to sing 'we're f'ing shit' at the players while there's a match still going on. By all means moan about it afterwards.
Exactly. Wouldn’t be the same bunch singing how shit we are who we’re singing about winning the league when we beat York, or off to Wembley when we beat Khalsa and Ware.

Yes, I know football is fickle, football fandom is fickle. It doesn’t have to be stupid though. A fan is a supporter. Clues in the word. Jeez Louise
Think we can safely rule out Wembley and try and work on what the fans actually sang today and why they sang it. It is no good polishing a turd. We were shit today! Being a fan does not mean you also have to be a mug and have to sit in silence when you are being woefully let down. If you pay for steak and chips you do not expect cold beans on toast. If you are served crap you speak out.

Interesting how some find the chanting utterly disagreeable when it is part and parcel of the banter up and down the country. To those that disagree why wait until you get home to speak out? Why not intervene? or was that cucumber sandwich you ate in the East Stand to tasty at the time? Maybe you are the ones that should find a different sport instead?
Last edited by Mac on Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:08 am

harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:25 pm
Yes, poor performance. Yes, poor result. Having said that, if I’m going to have one ray of positive light, if we’d have got together as a group and said at this stage we will have three losses, I’d be willing to bet the three picked would’ve been from York, Brackley, Gateshead and Fylde, so disappointing yes but entirely unexpected given our record against them anyway? Not so much.
You're of course right, Shane, the losses have come against very difficult teams, but you look at the fixture list and it doesn't get much easier.

Chorley coming up who have got some good players and look as though they'll be right in the mix, Spennymoor at home who look dialled-in, you know Gloucester are gonna improve under a new manager and have brought some players in, Darlington really started to turn the corner and brought in some much needed experience at the back in Danny Ellis. You know Alfreton and Kettering are gonna be super awkward to play against and play spoiler a fair bit this season, Boston...

It's the old cliche, but there's no easy games. And I don't know about you, but I don't see many where I'm greatly confident of maximum points at this moment in time.