Nyal Bell
No votes

Total votes: 14

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: 09-10-21 Brackley Town (H)

Post by harry211 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:32 pm

From friends at the game, seems the second was a sucker punch and we don't look like scoring. Not a good result after our form in the league recently.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:43 pm
Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:36 pm
If that is the case serious questions have to be asked about the direction this management team is taking the club. Penn has had enough time to set up a team worthy of promotion.
I was very sceptical of the Russ Penn appointment, and thought those that welcomed him were looking on with rose-tinted KHFC specs. I'm pleased to say I was wrong, and I'm impressed with Penn and O'Connor. They're doing a fine job with the resources that they have, and have built an attractive first team.

Having said that, I think the squad is thin, and we're too reliant on the academy or just-out-of-the-academy players - that's not Penn's fault.
In terms of squad building, I do think there are a couple of question marks about decisions made over the past couple of years. Especially when, as you say, resources are still thin. How many games/performances are we going to get out of Montrose? Signed him at 31. Expect he's on a good wage. 2 1/2 yr contract for Alex Penny? How much is he on?
Must be decent for him to leave Boston who were going for promotion at the time (albeit they are part -time which made us more attractive). AMS was signed for a fee (met by the club's owners) in June 2020, given a year contract but then got a year extension in June 2021 (due to an appearance clause maybe?). Again, probably a high earner.
Nyal Bell? He's come off the bench, scored twice, and can't get a start. He's 24 and isn't playing first team football. Hardly likely to develop. One must assume he isn't impressing the management on the training pitch and they prefer a not fully fit AMS (Russ says they've got to get him up to fitness which does make me wonder what they do all week).

The start we had probably unrealistically raised expectations.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:09 pm

harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:57 pm
Oh dear. Sounds like someone has no idea at all. Or is out in trolling force. As the song that’s currently playing says, “come on, you’ve got to let me know”
He's allowed to have an opinion isn't he?

We've been comfortably turned over at home again. Yeah yeah, they're a good side etc. But they're a good side because they've got the right sort of players on the pitch. We haven't.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:07 pm
This is interesting.

Friend of mine described the full time performance as "shite". I wasn't there, so can't judge. But we've now got one win in five in the league. Four points from 15. Three of those games were at home (Chester performance was still superb, but their recent results put it in context). Only one of our goals in the league since Chester has been scored by a forward. If you take away our cup run, two wins against inferior sides (one inc a replay), it doesn't look good.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

BobGreenwoodsDad
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: MotM: 09-10-21 Brackley Town (H)

Post by BobGreenwoodsDad » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:36 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if the possession / shots etc stats show an even game from that point of view. First half we weren’t bad but, yet again, we can’t finish and they did. Second half we fell apart - neither side looked remotely like scoring (but of course they didn’t have to)

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:45 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:07 pm

In terms of squad building, I do think there are a couple of question marks about decisions made over the past couple of years. Especially when, as you say, resources are still thin. How many games/performances are we going to get out of Montrose? Signed him at 31. Expect he's on a good wage. 2 1/2 yr contract for Alex Penny? How much is he on?
Must be decent for him to leave Boston who were going for promotion at the time (albeit they are part -time which made us more attractive). AMS was signed for a fee (met by the club's owners) in June 2020, given a year contract but then got a year extension in June 2021 (due to an appearance clause maybe?). Again, probably a high earner.
Nyal Bell? He's come off the bench, scored twice, and can't get a start. He's 24 and isn't playing first team football. Hardly likely to develop. One must assume he isn't impressing the management on the training pitch and they prefer a not fully fit AMS (Russ says they've got to get him up to fitness which does make me wonder what they do all week).

Yeah, I can't argue with any of this. Montrose, Penny and AMS all disappointing. Bell pretty much untried.

Ultimately very disappointing today. First half we had a 5-10 minute spell where we looked like scoring. Beyond that we had possession but that was it. Brackley looked comfortable, almost like a side from a league above.
Sam

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:18 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:09 pm
harriershane wrote:
Oh dear. Sounds like someone has no idea at all. Or is out in trolling force. As the song that’s currently playing says, “come on, you’ve got to let me know”
Of course, I’ll never deny that. But come on. “Part time team that pull 500 so on the balance that we pull 2-3x the crowd and are full time we should spank them”

Completely ignoring any semblance of logic and knowledge of anything to do with the league, Brackley, or their recent form.

By all means, have an opinion, but if you’re going to be absurd, let’s at least try and qualify it.

So without studying it intensely, who are Brackley?

Well. Since we’ve been down here, they’ve surely got one of, if not the highest average finishing position in the league.

Most people know Danny Lewis has been one of the best keepers in the non league game for what, 10-15 years now? Most people who watch this level know the name Gaz Dean and what he is. Ditto Ndlovu. In fact, I’d be quite willing to bet statistically speaking he’d be a top 3 for goal scorers in this league since we’ve been down here, accounting for Taylor and Rowe. If you want me to look into that, let me know. Challenge accepted.

I know I can be a lot more granular than most, which is why I wasn’t surprised when Twariq Yusef curled one in, so I’ll forgive people not having a clue about him. But to make silly statements on a team like Brackley, off the back of the vast majority of previous contributions, sometimes you’ve gotta ask if someone’s taking the piss.
He who dares...wins

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:25 pm

Now onto more relevant matters. The game.

Well, we were Brackley’d again, weren’t we?

Bookies stats had the shot counter 8/2 at half time which seemed about right but two very good finishes done us although we can be aggrieved with both given it’s a corner and our own throw in. That Yusef goal killed any belief the team had for me, had we gone in 1 down, be that 1-0 or 2-1 I think we’d have had a shot but not to be. Drop off second half was poor though, devoid of creativity and belief.

I don’t want to see any excuses of being leggy etc from midweek. We had a comfortable W and they had a replay so it’s level pegging as far as I’m concerned. We don’t often see Bajrami bested, but most of us know how good Ndlovu is.

Yes, poor performance. Yes, poor result. Having said that, if I’m going to have one ray of positive light, if we’d have got together as a group and said at this stage we will have three losses, I’d be willing to bet the three picked would’ve been from York, Brackley, Gateshead and Fylde, so disappointing yes but entirely unexpected given our record against them anyway? Not so much.

We may now sit tenth after a tough run of fixtures. But we expect Alfreton and Curzon to drop away, as well as Kettering in 8th. In horse racing terms, although I’m no expert, I think we’d say our placing is “prominent” at this early stage.

As we so often see, a cup run can be the catalyst for a surge, from added interest, confidence and yes, money, so hopefully we can continue our beginnings of one and reap those rewards down the line
He who dares...wins

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:38 pm

harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:09 pm
harriershane wrote:
Of course, I’ll never deny that. But come on. “Part time team that pull 500 so on the balance that we pull 2-3x the crowd and are full time we should spank them”

Completely ignoring any semblance of logic and knowledge of anything to do with the league, Brackley, or their recent form.

By all means, have an opinion, but if you’re going to be absurd, let’s at least try and qualify it.

So without studying it intensely, who are Brackley?

Well. Since we’ve been down here, they’ve surely got one of, if not the highest average finishing position in the league.

Most people know Danny Lewis has been one of the best keepers in the non league game for what, 10-15 years now? Most people who watch this level know the name Gaz Dean and what he is. Ditto Ndlovu. In fact, I’d be quite willing to bet statistically speaking he’d be a top 3 for goal scorers in this league since we’ve been down here, accounting for Taylor and Rowe. If you want me to look into that, let me know. Challenge accepted.

I know I can be a lot more granular than most, which is why I wasn’t surprised when Twariq Yusef curled one in, so I’ll forgive people not having a clue about him. But to make silly statements on a team like Brackley, off the back of the vast majority of previous contributions, sometimes you’ve gotta ask if someone’s taking the piss.
It is galling to be turned over by these sides again and again and again over the years. Little Brackley who've recruited well and done things correctly.
I get what you're saying. It was always a tough game. I expected to lose.

We know they have a good side. Yes they've got some experienced players in form. It just emphasises how we haven't. Being able to point this out and being ok with it once again just shows where we are and that we just seem to accept it.

You need to accept that not everyone is a scholar of the non-league game Shane. They do see that it's £18 to get in and we are full time and then watch us not get a sniff at home and wonder what the point is.

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mac » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:39 pm

It is a good job Brackley are not full time then as they would be surely challenging Man City. Give them another mini bus to take another 10 fans to an away match and put a sponsor name on their shirts and they will beat anyone?

It is time to ask those serious questions. We were well beaten by a part time team who did not have to get out of 2nd gear today. It is time to question Penn's leadership skills as the team was toothless today. Who in their right mind would give contracts to players who are well past their sell by date? What is the manager and coach doing Mon to Friday in preparing players for a match and developing players skills on the training ground?

Today the supporters of Kidderminster were let down badly and paid top dollar to watch a spineless performance. How many will be inspired to return when energy prices are on the rise and Christmas is fast approaching? It has to be said the only enjoyment the home fans in North Terrace had today was singing songs about how rubbish their team is. Things have to change and change quick.

andrewb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by andrewb » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Not much change in the Prediction League - grats to Tom.10 who was the only person to correctly forecast the 0-2 scoreline - a few others picked up a point for predicting a defeat with the wrong score.

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:45 pm

harriershane wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:25 pm
Now onto more relevant matters. The game.

Well, we were Brackley’d again, weren’t we?

Bookies stats had the shot counter 8/2 at half time which seemed about right but two very good finishes done us although we can be aggrieved with both given it’s a corner and our own throw in. That Yusef goal killed any belief the team had for me, had we gone in 1 down, be that 1-0 or 2-1 I think we’d have had a shot but not to be. Drop off second half was poor though, devoid of creativity and belief.

I don’t want to see any excuses of being leggy etc from midweek. We had a comfortable W and they had a replay so it’s level pegging as far as I’m concerned. We don’t often see Bajrami bested, but most of us know how good Ndlovu is.

Yes, poor performance. Yes, poor result. Having said that, if I’m going to have one ray of positive light, if we’d have got together as a group and said at this stage we will have three losses, I’d be willing to bet the three picked would’ve been from York, Brackley, Gateshead and Fylde, so disappointing yes but entirely unexpected given our record against them anyway? Not so much.

We may now sit tenth after a tough run of fixtures. But we expect Alfreton and Curzon to drop away, as well as Kettering in 8th. In horse racing terms, although I’m no expert, I think we’d say our placing is “prominent” at this early stage.

As we so often see, a cup run can be the catalyst for a surge, from added interest, confidence and yes, money, so hopefully we can continue our beginnings of one and reap those rewards down the line
A fair summary of the game. What frustrated me was that we appeared to lose all the individual battles. Glad they did not try to find a Man of the Match!

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:46 pm

Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:39 pm
It is a good job Brackley are not full time then as they would be surely challenging Man City. Give them another mini bus to take another 10 fans to an away match and put a sponsor name on their shirts and they will beat anyone?

It is time to ask those serious questions. We were well beaten by a part time team who did not have to get out of 2nd gear today. It is time to question Penn's leadership skills as the team was toothless today. Who in their right mind would give contracts to players who are well past their sell by date? What is the manager and coach doing Mon to Friday in preparing players for a match and developing players skills on the training ground?

Today the supporters of Kidderminster were let down badly and paid top dollar to watch a spineless performance. How many will be inspired to return when energy prices are on the rise and Christmas is fast approaching? It has to be said the only enjoyment the home fans in North Terrace had today was singing songs about how rubbish their team is. Things have to change and change quick.
Singing silly songs isn't helpful really.

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mac » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:55 pm

They turned up and paid their hard earned money. Do you want them to stay at home instead?

Some may argue that having Russ Penn as manager is not helping..

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:00 pm

Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:55 pm
They turned up and paid their hard earned money. Do you want them to stay at home instead?
Yes, if they're going to sing 'we're f'ing shit' at the players while there's a match still going on. By all means moan about it afterwards.
Sam