MotM: 04-01-20 Blyth Spartans (H) Prosser

Where you can find all the links to online match resources and Man of the Match polls

Moderator: Phil

Harriers 0 Blyth Spartans 1

Poll ended at Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Will Mannion
No votes
Sam Austin
No votes
Ed Williams
No votes
Harry Higginson
5%
Cliff Moyo
No votes
Keith Lowe
36%
Alex Prosser
41%
Milan Butterfield
No votes
Ethan Freemantle
5%
Ashley Hemmings
14%
Oliver Shenton
No votes
Correy Davidson
No votes
Richard Peniket
No votes
Ashley Chambers
No votes

Total votes: 22

millzeuk
Reserves
Reserves

Re: MotM: 04-01-20 Blyth Spartans (H)

Post by millzeuk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:55 pm

I may be being harsh on Prosser on reflection

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:53 pm
millzeuk wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:29 pm
That performance was completely and utterly unacceptable. There are four players that can have any type of positive thoughts on their performance today. Those four being Mannion (nothing to do), Lowe (trained once), Hemmings (only player on either site that had any spark) and Freemantle (worked his socks off again)
I thought Prosser was outstanding in the first half - but ran himself into the ground trying to do the job of two players in midfield.

Need time to reflect before posting m thoughts on the game.
Prosser was good first half. Has improved a lot since the start of the season. Don’t ever think I have seen a player deteriorate as quickly as Ed Williams.

Edgar T Peaceful
Sponsors Milan Butterfield

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Can't understand taking Freemantle off when he was the only bright spark - should have played him up with Chambers once we were behind.

Prosser good first half. Everyone pretty dreadful second half.

Milan should be dropped after that performance (and the one against Hereford away)

Also - I know it's hugely frustrating to watch and many of the players aren't good enought - but I can't see the point in booing the players. You can see the shoulders go down even further. They're fragile enough.
Sam

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:10 pm

Academy style football at this level does not work.

Full time players on limited budgets does not work at this level.

Having academy coaches with theorising game plans based on possession for possessions sake does not work at this level.

Not understanding the aforementioned and expecting supporters to attend games regardless does not work at this level.

Colin Gordon once spoke about 'educating' the fans - I rest my case.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:21 pm

Tamworth Harrier wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:40 pm
millzeuk wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:29 pm
That performance was completely and utterly unacceptable. There are four players that can have any type of positive thoughts on their performance today. Those four being Mannion (nothing to do), Lowe (trained once), Hemmings (only player on either site that had any spark) and Freemantle (worked his socks off again)

The rest need to have a long hard think about whether football this is the right career for them. If I delivered a days work to that standard my boss wouldn’t accept it and I’d be left in no doubt as to how they felt. I hope the players are left in no doubt as to the managers thoughts on what they delivered today. If we don’t improve FAST we are in major danger of going down

Final word goes to Buttetfield who was down the tunnel practically before the ref blew his whistle. Show some respect towards the fans who have turned up and paid their money to watch you.
Totally agree with the above. Add to that the manger who is in charge of picking the team. One up front again. Takes Freemantle off when losing and kept five at the back. We were even passing backwards in the three minutes of added time. New low for the club tonight.
Absolutely. How many managers have we had in the last 3 years (7 in 2019!) and yet style of play and tactics remain consistent. Five at the back today, Williams wingback and a young kid upfront on his own against relegation rivals..... you couldn't make it up but of course another U23's manager who has no clue of managing at this level we have. We all know many of these will probably be signed back on again too (sigh). I really can't see how we get out of this downward sprial any time soon....or how many more wasted Saturday's I can take.

harriershane

Post by harriershane » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Hey, I don't know what the problem is. If you haven't got a season ticket, you got in cheaper. If you had a season ticket, you got a quid off your programme (assuming you were in the first 50).

What more do people want!?

(To state the obvious, I am being highly, highly facetious here)

Now for the serious part..

How many players are of the required standard for this level realistically?
What leeway does the manager have?
What will the makeup of the squad be for next season?
Will that change if we go down?
Will it be competitive if we stay up?
Who the F will want to come here!

The game itself? drab, dire,won by a moment of magic.

On this day 6 years ago, we held Peterborough to a goalless draw. Who saw it getting this bad?
He who dares...wins

pershoreharrier

Re: 04-01-20 Blyth Spartans (H)

Post by pershoreharrier » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:51 pm

Medieval wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:48 pm
pershoreharrier wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:11 pm
That league table tells no lies - we are 4 points above 20th position and have played 2 games more - a win against Blyth will give us just a little breathing space and we could do with that.

A big crowd - probably not - I paid £12 to watch us fail in the most fundamental manner at Edgar Street - that was not a good deal so dropping our adult price to £10 is only a good deal if we are serving up attractive and entertaining football which we do actually deliver occasionally but not regularly enough.

I am already prepared for a dour game tomorrow but hope we can scrape a win.
Suppose we all have our views, but what a depressing post.

Hopefully the table will tell a different story at the end of the season.
Blood and sand Medieval - whilst I do not claim to have the powers of Mystic Meg if that was not dour I would not know what would be.

Beaten by a single top quality strike - the only moment of class in the whole game. Our response - we were slow, offered no threat yet again and may as well have been asked if we could fight a battle with a feather duster stripped of all but one feather.

The only positive I saw was an aging defender calm the often previously calamitous defence but it will not be enough to arrest this slide.

I heard today that CG now has an office at EBC's HQ in Halesowen from where he runs the Club on behalf of RL - heaven help us - it looks as though that may be the Consultancy role that CG has taken on. CG may not be at Aggborough but what is being served up bears all his trademarks. I fear we are in a lot of trouble as CG is never wrong even when he is wrong and those who can see it need educating so we can see he is right.

And yet I bought my coach ticket to Farsley Celtic today - it is called living in hope.

Medieval
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Medieval » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Sadly same story of previous games, undeserved result.

When you create more opportunities on a regular basis, as we are, you do expect the results to follow, but our missed chances are proving costly.

Need shooting practice.

Butterfield should be dropped when Weeks is back, otherwise I wouldn`t change the system or style of play.

Prosser mom.

Had some of our chances gone in for a win, no doubt the forum would have been very different, a fine line, especially losing to such a goal.
Last edited by Medieval on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:08 pm

Medieval wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:03 pm

When you create more opportunities on a regular basis, as we are, you do expect the results to follow, but our missed chances are proving costly.

Need shooting practice.

Butterfield should be dropped when Weeks is back, otherwise I wouldn`t change the system or style of play.

Prosser mom.
We deserved nothing from that game. As bad a performance as I can remember. Yes let’s continue to play the way that has failed time and time again.

millzeuk
Reserves
Reserves

Post by millzeuk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:11 pm

Medieval wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Need shooting practice.

Prosser

Keep doing the same things, expect the same results. We haven’t got the players to succeed playing the formation we are. It was dire today and we got what we deserved

Medieval
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Medieval » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:12 pm

Staggers me how people can only see the result & not what was behind it. I`m as disappointed as anyone, but try to analyse what has actually happened.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:21 pm

Medieval wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:12 pm
Staggers me how people can only see the result & not what was behind it. I`m as disappointed as anyone, but try to analyse what has actually happened.
Staggers me how anybody can think that performance had any positives. It was absolutely diabolical.

TWG85
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by TWG85 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:38 pm

New low for the season. Dreadful, dreadful performance first 70 minutes. No energy, no urgency, no rhythm, greatly lacking in cohesion. Awful. With the schedule lately they obviously haven't trained a lot, & boy did it show. Also the pitch has become quite bobbery & cut-up, with folks slipping over left-and-right, which doesn't help.

To credit Blyth, their pressing was very good. And once they got their wonder goal they held their shape well, & did a good job closing down once Harriers approached the box, but all of that is no excuse. The passing was of poor quality, & in the latter stages, especially the movement. The "bring on the wee man!" idiot & others behind me screaming get it forward, but often there was little on.

First black mark against Shan for me this. Got it massively wrong with the team selection. I was late arriving & certainly raised an eyebrow once I saw the shape, & as early as 10-15 minutes in it was abundantly clear it wasn't going to work. Only things I can think of he was worried about Higginson being isolated up against their star man Callum Roberts, so didn't want to play him left-back. Or, due to lack of training time felt a change of shape was a greater risk.

For the first time in the season I'm genuinely worried. I still maintain, & even if they go down probably still will that this is a bang mid-table team. But it's not about ability now. They're well-and-truly in a relegation dogfight. Spennymoor, Boston, KIng's Lynn all upcoming in the immediate future. And Blyth are improving, with their performances, recruitment & spirit.

MOTM for me goes to Keith Lowe. He got caught out in the first couple of minutes, but after that he was superb. His positioning, his decision-making, his heading, all immense. Some nice passes, too. And boy are they gonna need him. Final word however is for Butterfield, who had the mother of all stinkers. And his afternoon was encapsulated with the goal, when he could've easily cut out the throw-in. The sooner Weeks is back the better.
Last edited by TWG85 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:10 pm
Academy style football at this level does not work.

Full time players on limited budgets does not work at this level.

Having academy coaches with theorising game plans based on possession for possessions sake does not work at this level.

Not understanding the aforementioned and expecting supporters to attend games regardless does not work at this level.

Colin Gordon once spoke about 'educating' the fans - I rest my case.
Like like like

What has changed for the good in the last 12 months?? Mcfarlane, Gordon, O'Connor, Yates, Pemberton, Penn and now Shann...and yet some still can't see it.This club is dieing a very slow death if not dead already. I would take folding and starting afresh where everyone was united with the same goal.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:59 pm

Absolute shambles and a total disgrace, Harriers played virtually whole of the game in front of the Blyth massed ranks - pussyfooting around in a desperate attempt to retain possession at all costs, regardless of the clock or the scoreboard - in all truth it was very frustrating, almost painful to watch as KHFC have descended to new depths of mediocrity.

Listening to the manager's interview afterwards gave me absolutely no confidence he has a clue as to what to do or how to get things back on track - just more of the same old spin and talking the talk, though I did hear him say " playing The Right Way & being patient" ONLY once :roll:

Blyth came for a point and set out a solid defensive seven men back line - they got lucky with a great goal which caught Mannion totally by surprise.

Even so that does not excuse a woeful display from some of Harriers players, who in all honesty look like rabbits caught in the headlights or simply don't believe the managers game plan is how they want to play the game.

But for me the real villain of the peace was the manager who compromised any chance of winning the game by his dogmatic blinkered approach to playing 'His System' and as a result negated the potency of his best players. Asking Austin to play on the left and then putting Ed Williams in his place was to say the least an unmitigated failure. Hemmings is wasted playing 'in the hole' his natural position is out wide. Playing a raw kid up front on his own is asking an awful lot for one so young/inexperienced.

I thought KL looked a little nervous to start with and I think he needs game time but he grew into the game.

Higginson did little wrong - one misplaced pass and a shanked cross otherwise he looked composed and read the game well, though in all honesty he wasn't put under too much pressure.

Prosser was outstanding in the first 45 but as result of doing the job of two men he couldn't replicate that performance in the second half - he reminds me of a slimline Danny Williams.

Butterfield had a mare, always off the pace and looking as though he really didn't know his role - I was amazed that Shan couldn't see that his game had deserted him and left him to flounder for the full 90.

Of the others Mannion was asleep for their goal - otherwise he had nothing to do for most of the game.

Sammy Austin was a shadow of the player of Boxing Day - he might just have played a game too many, but it did not help that he was also played out of position.

Moyo - solid, but I still think he could do a role in deep midfield in a 4 4 2

Ed Williams seems to have lost his mojo - he had several early opportunities to try and go for the by-line, but declined and went backwards - wing back he ain't.

Freemantle highly tried and with a strike partner he could develop into a good player, but he's not a lone striker (not big enough or quick enough).

Chambers - clearly not fit

Peniket nor Davidson had any noticeable impact .

And we can't even blame the referee, who I thought was decent.

The club is an unholy mess, with no leadership - confidence shot to pieces and players struggling to do the simple things right, compounded by an owner who wants to stay faceless, a consultant who still meddles and a manager who can't see the wood for the trees, and who's luck just ran out.

I have a real fear the team is now in a dog fight for survival in NN and I'm not sure that I'm confident about the players & management being able to turn this around, it's beginning to feel there is inevitability about the slide and that no one at the club really cares.

Spennymoor at Aggborough next - on today's showing we have no chance.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale