World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

Locked
redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:08 pm

:rolllaugh: 0-0 :rolllaugh:

class finish
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 pm

Something of a non event in which the only point proved was that Belgium's second eleven are better than ours - but I think we knew that already.

Not sure any of the England players really made a case for being promoted to start against Colombia - Rashford was very disappointing.

Remains to be seen how the result will affect the psyche of the squad going forward.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

User avatar
Lovejoy
1st team
1st team
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Kidderminster
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Lovejoy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:01 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 pm
Something of a non event in which the only point proved was that Belgium's second eleven are better than ours - but I think we knew that already.

Not sure any of the England players really made a case for being promoted to start against Colombia - Rashford was very disappointing.

Remains to be seen how the result will affect the psyche of the squad going forward.
All that assumes we wanted to win, which I am fairly confident we did not.
So how the players performed tonight is largely irrelevent.

User avatar
Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 am
Location: Wokingham, BERKS

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Mayo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:11 pm

I would rather see us trying to win every game, but on reflection pleased with the route now presented to us. Squad players got a run out and although uninspiring, fairly professional performance. Bring on Columbia.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot & Ryan Croasdale #4 Shirt

Sponsor of Alex Prosser

Medieval
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Medieval » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 am

Until they scored, was half hoping we would win, they had added to their total cards count, so a draw would see us potentially against Brazil later. Once they scored, I changed my view, strangely, hoping we did not score, great result!
The point about resting players; they may have had a rest after the season, but we were last to start our games, so more cramming in a reduced time scale.
Not sure if Southgate intended to lose, but we are in a much better position from so doing together with resting our first team.
As for the performances, generally disappointing, Delf probably best.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by spitalfields » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Whoever it was who said that yesterday's game will ultimately be evaluated in light of the result against Colombia had it spot on. Personally I never like intentionally weakening teams as I think the subtle consequences for motivation and psychology are difficult to control and, more often than not, pretty destructive. Sensible protection of players on yellow cards is one thing; putting out the reserves something else altogether.

I thought it was a mistake not to see off BPA at the first attempt, and so it proved when the 'rested' players seemed lethargic in the game that mattered, probably as a result of the lost momentum. I know that these cossetted Premiership darlings are more used to squad rotation, but the struggles they had against a pretty poor Tunisia side suggested to me that they desperately needed game time to develop a rhythm and cohesion- and the confidence they could have got from playing well against a weakened Belgium team would have been invaluable. The Panama result does not make them world-beaters by any stretch of the imagination. And Colombia play in a way that is likely to expose England's embarrassing defensive frailties.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting to look enviously at Belgium cruise past Japan to meet a triumphant but exhausted Mexico, as we go out with a whimper against an underrated Colombia...

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:52 pm

spitalfields wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:44 pm
Whoever it was who said that yesterday's game will ultimately be evaluated in light of the result against Colombia had it spot on. Personally I never like intentionally weakening teams as I think the subtle consequences for motivation and psychology are difficult to control and, more often than not, pretty destructive. Sensible protection of players on yellow cards is one thing; putting out the reserves something else altogether.

I thought it was a mistake not to see off BPA at the first attempt, and so it proved when the 'rested' players seemed lethargic in the game that mattered, probably as a result of the lost momentum. I know that these cossetted Premiership darlings are more used to squad rotation, but the struggles they had against a pretty poor Tunisia side suggested to me that they desperately needed game time to develop a rhythm and cohesion- and the confidence they could have got from playing well against a weakened Belgium team would have been invaluable. The Panama result does not make them world-beaters by any stretch of the imagination. And Colombia play in a way that is likely to expose England's embarrassing defensive frailties.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting to look enviously at Belgium cruise past Japan to meet a triumphant but exhausted Mexico, as we go out with a whimper against an underrated Colombia...

My reservations exactly - but happy to be proved wrong.

Thought Japan's game would have suited England.

Then again 'arry could have got injured in the first ten minutes had he played - you just don't know :lol:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Medieval » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:46 pm

Or our first 11 could have lost against Belgiums reserves, would really have inspired confidence.

User avatar
Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer
Posts: 17601
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Africa. I can hear Lions and Tigers
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Phil » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Shock as Lionel Messi exits the World Cup. If Ronaldo goes the same way tonight who will they gush over?

User avatar
garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 7249
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:53 am
Location: Kiddy

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by garthrockett » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Sychophancy at its best......gotta luv the BBC.
"Brian May is such a nice guy...he's a bit too tall, but I guess he can't help that...." (Ritchie Blackmore)

User avatar
Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer
Posts: 17601
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Africa. I can hear Lions and Tigers
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Phil » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:56 pm

The annoying thing is that Messi has totally under performed in this tournament and still they treat him like a God.

He wouldn't even get in a Harriers side.

User avatar
garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 7249
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:53 am
Location: Kiddy

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by garthrockett » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:25 pm

....and if Uruguay knock Ronaldo's Portugual out they'll have to switch attention to some other overrated icon......
"Brian May is such a nice guy...he's a bit too tall, but I guess he can't help that...." (Ritchie Blackmore)

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:27 am

Watching Russia 'manage' the game with such negativity against Spain and ultimately frustrating the more gifted and technically superior Spanish players I couldn't help but think of Harriers games against the likes of Chorley and Salford - you wonder whether in the end it's good for the (beautiful) game? What it does prove is that there is more than one way to win a football game, we may not like it - but nevertheless it's fact. :(

Which leads me onto Southgate and whether he has a plan 'B' - because it's quite possible the two teams might meet and if the Russians can thwart Spain with their massed ranks and parking not one bus two - what hope England breaking them down ?

I know it's unfashionable to suggest it, in light of how England now play under Southgate but a Crouch or Carroll in these situations could be a god send.
For me, I would have taken that type of player as opposed to Welbeck or even Vardy - who would be useless against the massed ranks of Russia, with no space to run into.

What ever the game, for England to progress I think we have to win it in the ninety + - no way will go through on penalties :roll:

Colombia then Sweden or Switzerland - I could see England just about managing to overcome - but then if Russia do the same to Croatia which is quite possible - might we all regret not seeing Crouchie in an England shirt even if was only for 45minutes !! Like in American football they bring on a dedicated kicker for the field goals - think it's a massive oversight by Southgate.

As I said maybe unfashionable and maybe not the 'Right Way' as some would see it - but winning World Cups (or promotion) can hinge on such decisions.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

User avatar
garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 7249
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:53 am
Location: Kiddy

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by garthrockett » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 pm

We are a long way from considerations on how to play against Russia......Columbia stand in the way first; an difficult -but not insurmountable- obstacle.
"Brian May is such a nice guy...he's a bit too tall, but I guess he can't help that...." (Ritchie Blackmore)

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 10398
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:17 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 pm
We are a long way from considerations on how to play against Russia......Columbia stand in the way first; an difficult -but not insurmountable- obstacle.
Come on Garth - lets think positive :lol:

We can beat Colombia I'm sure - hat-trick for 'arry !!!
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Locked