World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

World Cup 2018

Post by Phil » Wed May 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Thread starts here.

The squad:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Fabian Delph, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek.

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed May 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Squad seems to lack quality beyond a starting eleven and particularly in midfield.

But, the best teams don't always win.

We are 18/1 to win and evens to reach the quarter final.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Put yer money on Russia...... :;
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:45 am

20/1 on us is pretty good value, but there are so many better sides out there.

France, Germany and Brazil should make the last 4 with their teams. Give it another world cup and i think we'll be right up there with the best however.

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Thu May 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Come on Iceland!

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Until we have a proper mid season break, we have no chance.

As for the squad, I would have taken Llalana, probably at the expense of Welbeck, don`t need 5 strikers.

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Medieval wrote:Until we have a proper mid season break, we have no chance.

As for the squad, I would have taken Llalana, probably at the expense of Welbeck, don`t need 5 strikers.
Its suggests that Lallana's barely fit. I'm sure he would have taken him otherwise as we have no one else like him. - He's in the reserve squad so we may still take him.
Sam

TJU'S
1st team
1st team

Post by TJU'S » Thu May 17, 2018 9:25 pm

When you look at that squad there are a lot of players in there who aren't first choice for their club, this reflects badly on the Premiership and I cannot see us ever having a national side capable of getting close to winning anything as long as we have a Premiership whose clubs tend to sign players from all corners of the globe. There needs to be more home bias, even the ipl where there are 8 team franchises signing top players from all over the world they are limited to the number of overseas players they can actually play in a game and because of this some very good young indian players are getting the chance they deserve and this is helping keeping India at the top or close to the top of all formats of the game

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Fri May 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Not sure about the rules, perhaps Brexit may make a difference.

Certainly a flawed system when the likes of Loftus Cheek lose a couple of seasons at the top level due to managers short term aims. Can`t really blame the managers either with all that money to burn, I mean spend.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Sun May 20, 2018 1:59 pm

TJU'S wrote:When you look at that squad there are a lot of players in there who aren't first choice for their club, this reflects badly on the Premiership and I cannot see us ever having a national side capable of getting close to winning anything as long as we have a Premiership whose clubs tend to sign players from all corners of the globe. There needs to be more home bias, even the ipl where there are 8 team franchises signing top players from all over the world they are limited to the number of overseas players they can actually play in a game and because of this some very good young indian players are getting the chance they deserve and this is helping keeping India at the top or close to the top of all formats of the game
I agree with the above but there is always another side to the story and a potential benefit to the national game from the massive influx of foreign talent is that our young talented players are proving attractive ( and good value) targets for foreign leagues. I think we have a good number of young lads overlooked at home by prem teams now turning out for Bundasliga sides and the like.

Hopefully these lads (if they make the grade) will bring different experiences and playing styles to future England squads?
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Justin Tomlinson
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Justin Tomlinson » Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am

In some ways perhaps one of the least exciting squads for many tournaments BUT there is so little between most of the international teams you just need that lucky purple patch.

Come on England!

brumkidd
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by brumkidd » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am

Am I the only one who isn't all that excited about this world cup? It seems to me that the build up has passed me by. I haven't even got a wall chart this time!!!

It might be my age of course.
It is only a matter of time before those good people at the National Lottery give me the jackpot that I so richly deserve.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am

brumkidd wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am
Am I the only one who isn't all that excited about this world cup? It seems to me that the build up has passed me by. I haven't even got a wall chart this time!!!

No you are not the only one.

Totally underwhelmed by the build up, and lack of excitement engendered by the way England play under Southgate - three C/B's none of which are good enough - Jones, Cahill, Stones ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do we have no young talent better than those three??

As for 'Gun Toting' Sterling - words fail me, he's quick but he's also useless.

England will exit as soon as they encounter a half decent side - they might just about get past the group stage.

And I agree the Premiership has ruined the national team.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 am

brumkidd wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am

Suppose they will be free with the Sunday papers, but if you are desperate....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/joinin/motd-kickabout-world-cup-2018-wall-chart

Can't say I am that excited but come the first game, I will be up for it in time for the first game.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Jonkers
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Jonkers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:28 am

Totally lost interest in England after the World cup in Brazil and the debacle against Iceland haven't watched a England game since then.