World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by jamestheimpaler » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:17 am

ograzebrook wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 am
England really remind me of Kiddy from last season in a way...same kind of build up play, negative substitutions to hold on to a slender lead...conceding last minute goal.
I was thinking just the same thing. Chorlombia, as I'll forever now call them, with some sly and despicable tactics, like certain opposition we've faced. Can't quite remember who, though...

That 93rd minute equaliser was sadly what has become a staple for the Harriers in recent seasons. You'd say that they 'dominated' exchanges for large spells, yet seemed to do very little by way of creating killer chances. Then missed the header or two they get to seal things - the opposition with a comparable chance then convert theirs. Eh, at least I was mentally prepared for it.

Congratulations to the mental toughness of those taking penalties. The eventual triumph is not an emotion I've been accustomed to, in the large part, supporting the Harriers!

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am

Well that was good fun.

It felt like we were playing away in South America which in some ways made it feel even better when we won.

Finally I’ve broken my 0-4 record for watching England penalty shootouts live!!

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am

Whilst the Rockett household inevitably got caught up in the euphoria of the evening, in the cold light of day several issues ought to be addressed if the team is to go even further.
Tempo; I honestly think if we played at "normal" premiership pace few teams could match us; however, this lethargic adherence to the simple square pass simply plays into (particularly) South American hands.
Sweden will hopefully make more of a fist of it and higher tempo will result in a better game and a more comfortable environment for both teams.
despite a promising first half the game overall was often dreadful. England in the last 20 mins/first period of extra time looked nervy, unorganized and frankly there for the taking. I was glad we made it as far as the shoot-out.
...and no Vardy as one of our five penalty takers??? Strange.......
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:09 am

garthrockett wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am
Whilst the Rockett household inevitably got caught up in the euphoria of the evening, in the cold light of day several issues ought to be addressed if the team is to go even further.
Tempo; I honestly think if we played at "normal" premiership pace few teams could match us; however, this lethargic adherence to the simple square pass simply plays into (particularly) South American hands.
Sweden will hopefully make more of a fist of it and higher tempo will result in a better game and a more comfortable environment for both teams.
despite a promising first half the game overall was often dreadful. England in the last 20 mins/first period of extra time looked nervy, unorganized and frankly there for the taking. I was glad we made it as far as the shoot-out.
...and no Vardy as one of our five penalty takers??? Strange.......
The point you make about tempo is bang on - it infuriates me to death that England get over the half way line in a forward move and then the ball goes backwards to a center back, then sideways to his team mate ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,seen it for a couple of seasons now but more locally !!

Team selection of Young on the left will inevitably slow things down as he can't/won't go past his man but always turns back inside on his good foot - compare this with the run of Rose in ET when he got behind the defence and crossed the ball which actually only just missed.

Dier is a center back playing midfield but you can see his instincts are always to play safe which means sideways/backwards - I would play him in place of Walker at center back his spacial awareness is better.

Henderson can be a force for pushing forward and spraying the ball out wide - against Colombia he seemed to have forgotten how to do it and was as guilty as any one else for slowing the play down.

Alli clearly struggled to get involved right from kick off - plainly not fit, yet he still played.

I think Loftus-Cheek needs to be in the team - a bit raw and is an unknown quantity but his first thought is to go forward with the ball.

The team against Sweden should be - assuming all are 100% fit.

Pickford

Trippier - Dier - Stones - Maguire - Rose

Loftus-Cheek - Alli - Henderson

Rashford - Kane

But off course we all know that's not going to be Southgate's team,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

Rashford will be on the bench and Sterling will keep his place - because he is SOoooooooo important to the team - OH! yes he is. :rolllaugh:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Post by Zorro » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:05 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:09 am

The point you make about tempo is bang on - it infuriates me to death that England get over the half way line in a forward move and then the ball goes backwards to a center back, then sideways to his team mate ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,seen it for a couple of seasons now but more locally !!
You have to take into account the heat and humidity out there which does not apply to a normal English Premier League game

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Zorro wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:05 pm
redandwhitemike wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:09 am

You have to take into account the heat and humidity out there which does not apply to a normal English Premier League game

I don't think that applied last night in Moscow - think it was described as 'cooler' I think they are two hours ahead of us

Saturday on the other hand is going to be very hot.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:12 pm

We had a break so were supposed to be stronger near the end of 90 mins, didn`t look like it.
Agree Ali shouldn't have played, Loftus Cheek for the next game.
Rashford for Sterling.
Otherwise the same. Walkers pace is useful at cb, recent interview, he wasn`t exactly keen on cb himself. Lingard, thought he had a good game, never stops running to receive the ball & create openings.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:19 pm

It was much cooler yesterday than it has been for the previous week. I doubt it got much above 20C all day.

Samara will be nearer 30C at kick off.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Just heard on radio that Vardy got injured (groin) in extra time and Dier took his penalty.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:46 pm

This'll please RAWM :)

Same starting line up again:
https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1015576206211678210

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Well, I'm confused. According to the experts on the BBC, I have just witnessed a superb performance from England. I thought I saw a tale of two goalkeepers in two otherwise pretty ordinary teams. One goalkeeper failed to react quickly enough to the only two shots on target he faced. The other reacted brilliantly to the only three shots on target he faced. Overall, pretty dull stuff from a team that hasn't yet faced a proper test.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad England won and am hopeful that something will properly click in time. But eulogising the rank average I just find nauseating. Or maybe I just finally need to accept that I know nothing?

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 pm

I have just been reminded that Pickford conceded 3 times when playing for Darlington against Harriers.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:48 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 pm
I have just been reminded that Pickford conceded 3 times when playing for Darlington against Harriers.
Didn't Ben Foster concede 5 in 2 games for us? Ryan Clarke looked a much better prospect that season.

Just goes to show, you can't judge everything from what you witness...

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Strange game, we looked comfortable until Sweden had to attack & they created a couple of chances, not convinced of our defensive abilities.

Player for player, we should have won but their recent record, including qualification for the finals, is impressive.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Full credit to Southgate for sticking with his underperformers BUT England won in spite of those players NOT because they played IMO.

Young did provide the cross for Maguire's goal but did little else to justify his selection.

Sterling did show a bit more but once again there was no actual end product - I still think Rashford is a better bet, and Dele Alli finally turned up and showed us some of the Spurs class for the second goal.
There are some players who are growing in stature and performance as this World Cup progresses - Trippier was once again exceptional, Maguire has come of age and is now an automatic choice and Henderson has finally shown us what he is capable of in an England shirt as opposed to the Red of Liverpool, but finally a special mention for Jordan Pickford who's performances more than any other player (Kane included) is the reason England are in the semi finals - and again today he was awesome.

Personally just wish some of the others (Rose, Rashford and Loftus-Cheek) are given more of a chance to impress than just the odd few minutes at the end of a game.

Disappointed with Sweden I thought they would give England a much bigger test - three efforts on target, all brilliantly saved by JP.

Now for Croatia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Come on England"

Scores on the Doors

Pickford............. 10 - Magical display wonderful agility and reactions to save three certain goals.

Trippier............ 8 - Real threat going forward and and with some more height in the middle could be even more effective.

Young ...............6 - Great corner ball for the first goal and he did get into more forward positions but without any real killer balls.

Maguire..............8 - Colossus at both ends of the pitch - he won't be at Leicester for much longer - I bet Jose is on the phone right now.!

Stones ...............7 - Still not sure about him in a three - there are times when he's out muscled at set pieces.

Walker...............6 - Looks the weak link aerially, but his pace is an asset in covering the other two so he stays.

Lingard..............7 - Ran his socks off for the cause - peach of a cross for number two.

Alli...................6 - Anonymous for most of the game to the point where I forgot he was playing - so did the Swedish defence !!!

Henderson..........8 - Ran the midfield and also ran a marathon - will need his energy against Croatia.

Sterling .............6 - Got into more forward positions and promised on several occasions to deliver a goal - but again failed when it mattered.

Kane ................6 - Didn't see much of the ball and at times looked strangely subdued - service up to him was almost non existent - doesn't seem to buddy very well with Sterling .