World Cup 2018

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

andrewb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by andrewb » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:23 pm

what world cup ?

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm

brumkidd wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am
Am I the only one who isn't all that excited about this world cup? It seems to me that the build up has passed me by. I haven't even got a wall chart this time!!!

It might be my age of course.
No indeed you are not the only one - it is on a par with our schedule of pre-season friendlies in triggering my excitement sensors. Anyway the outside of the house needs painting.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:28 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm
brumkidd wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am
Am I the only one who isn't all that excited about this world cup? It seems to me that the build up has passed me by. I haven't even got a wall chart this time!!!

It might be my age of course.
No indeed you are not the only one - it is on a par with our schedule of pre-season friendlies in triggering my excitement sensors. Anyway the outside of the house needs painting.
Grumpy buggers! :lol:

I love the World Cup, can't wait for it to start!!

I dislike the odd years where you have to wait a whole summer for the footy to start again!
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm

At last we've started.

What a goal from Nacho.
https://twitter.com/bbcfoot/status/1007710194330144768 And what a stunning free kick by everyone's love to hate player. Golden Boot winner already

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Watching Mexico was like watching the Harriers. So many chances in front of goal after breakaways and wrong decisions made over and again.

Sat there screaming at them to pass the bloody thing!

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Brilliant tournament so far - I don't get the apathy towards it - it's always a summer to look forward to when there's a major tournament to follow. Mexico result is exactly what it's all about, and interestingly - no European winner of the World Cup since 1998 has managed to get out of the group stage. Will Germany follow suit?
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:06 am

Brilliant tournament so far, and Mexico were like how I want Kiddy to play...quck passing/counter attack, but with way more aggression.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 pm

Our young team made hard work of that didn't they?

Not the most thrilling of games. Looked so lethargic and lacking in ideas at times.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Tunisia, Chorley of the world cup.

wymondham harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by wymondham harrier » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:38 pm

We will win this cup provided we keep getting drawn to play holiday destinations like Tunisia, Ibiza, Morecambe and Cromer Town.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 am

As first games go, I thought we did alright. Could easily have put the game to bed in the first half, missing several good chances and two ridiculous fouls on Kane that wouldn't have looked out of place on his namesake in WWE.

I like the spirit and togetherness of this England team under Southgate, yes we aren't the most technically gifted in the world cup, but if we carry on believing in ourselves there is no reason why we cant go on a little run and upset a few of the bigger teams, some of which are already on the back foot.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 am

Good first half performace, slightly ponderous in the second half but the subs lit things up. Loftus Road and Rashford are great options - direct (kind of what harriers need).

VAR is a joke/conspiracy - every dubious foul in all previous games get reviewed, but two of the most blatant penalties you'll ever see....go unnoticed. It's just a coincidence that our diplomatic relations are a bit strained, I'm sure.

Really liking the feel good factor though - not like England to have that.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:08 am

A win is a win - which at World Cups one shouldn't belittle !! But the overriding feeling is one of relief.

I note the excuses were being rolled out before England had even kicked off - Southgate commenting on the youthful nature of his team,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well you chose them Gareth !!

Nevertheless the first half was the best I have seen England play at the tournament as far as I can remember, until they got the chance to pull the trigger - Sterling proving he's what I suggested earlier in the thread. :roll:

Rashford has to start against Panama.

But in the final analysis, England struggled to beat Tunisia - the mighty Tunisia !!

Scores on the Doors

Pickford 7 Had nothing to do except pick the ball out of the net, from a penalty (he nearly saved)

Trippier 8 Easy introduction defensively - set up several chances - added a few £££'s for when Spurs sell him !!

Young 6 Not for me as a left back - takes far to long to deliver into the box - Rose much the better option.

Walker 6 He's not really a center back - is he, will be severely tested against Lukaku - but he is at least a better choice than Cahill or Jones.

Stones 7 Not my favourite player vastly over rated (plays for Moneybags City) - but looked good at set pieces.

Maguire 7 A couple of early mistakes which he did well to put behind him & overall he coped - positional play suspect at times otherwise had a good game.

Henderson 8 Superb display, though he was allowed the freedom of Volgograd - by far the best option in that position (compared to Dier).

Alli 6 Never really allowed to exert any influence on the game - not helped by a dead leg second half - he can do better.

Sterling 3 Woeful display - looked like a Sunday Park player and that's being kind - described as a headless chicken in some reports this morning - first touch non existent.

Lingard 5 Wasteful with his chances, composure in front of goal could be better - put it down to nerves (kind) :lol:

Kane 9 Thank god for King 'arry - lead by example and won it for us on his own - shame others didn't rise to the occasion in the same manner.

Subs

Rashford 7 Did more in his short time on the pitch than several others put together - he has to start from now on. Cannot understand why he was overlooked.

Loftus-Cheek 6 Looked a little overawed - unfair to judge on just 10 minutes

Dier Not sure why he bothered.

Manager

Southgate 7 Engendered the right spirit in a mismatched team against a rag bag of underdogs - who nearly caused an upset. He has to change things for the next game and score a shed load to set up the really important clash with Belgium - (I would take 0-0 right now.)

Suggested changes - Rashford for Sterling (no brainer) - Rose for Young (natural leftie) Loftus-Cheek for Lingard ( can't be any worse) Delph for Alli (Alli needs a rest)
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Against Panama, I’ll be honest, I like the Alexander Arnold option due to his delivery. We know panama will sit back and give us all the ball, TAA will deliver and deliver early with whip. Could cause havoc with a sub standard defence. As could a certain Jamie vardy who should’ve been on at 1-1
He who dares...wins

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 pm

If I have got this correct, Tunisia are 7 places below us in world rankings, so considering their gamesmanship, biased ref. & biased var crew, think we did well to win it.
Sterling would not get in my first 11, Rashford for me. Perhaps one or 2 other changes for rotation/rest along the lines as suggested.
As we don`t have Llalana or Wilshere(or Alli of last season), nearest to them is Lingard, though poor last night, would still be in my first 11, subject to resting.
Not sure what to make of Alli, is he injured or not?