World Cup 2022

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

BobGreenwoodsDad
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: World Cup Predictions

Post by BobGreenwoodsDad » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:11 pm

I do often find England dull and predictable but I think the problem here is that, like all successful managers, Southgate has made a rod for his own back and raised expectations by his own success. To believe that progress beyond the quarter finals (ie to reach the semis) is a failure says it all. People should look at England’s history in both the World Cup and the Euros where reaching the quarter finals has generally been beyond us. The truth is that England have rarely been any good

andrewb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by andrewb » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:21 pm

both Phil and myself attempted the mass predictions for the group stages - and after 32 matches (4 per group) the points scored are as follows -

Phil 21 points
AndrewB 20 points

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:44 pm

Now that was drama! Tunisia hearts almost broken. About to get a remarkable win and then that happens 6 seconds from time.

Then more drama as France get their goal struck off. Don't tell me that football is boring.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:00 pm

Well that's Mexico, Denmark, Belgium and Germany out. Whoever would have forecast that 2 weeks ago?

andrewb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by andrewb » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:19 pm

Predictions made for the group games by Phil and myself - after all 48 matches we get -

Phil 30 points
AndrewB 25 points

so Phil wins! (the 4 points for predicting the eventual winners now irrelevant) ( I said Spain and Phil said France)