Speedway

Discussion about anything other than the Harriers or football in general in here please. We even have a dartboard :)

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Post Reply
Mac
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Kidderminster

Speedway

Post by Mac » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Going to speedway of nations in Manchester this weekend. Hoping it goes to a replay. Be nice to see the team win again.

User avatar
Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer
Posts: 18848
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Africa. I can hear Lions and Tigers
Contact:

Re: Speedway

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:20 pm

Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:43 pm
Going to speedway of nations in Manchester this weekend. Hoping it goes to a replay. Be nice to see the team win again.

£80 a ticket??? Hope you get a good seat.

Medieval
1st team
1st team
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Speedway

Post by Medieval » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Phil wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:20 pm
Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:43 pm
Going to speedway of nations in Manchester this weekend. Hoping it goes to a replay. Be nice to see the team win again.

£80 a ticket??? Hope you get a good seat.
Looks like it`s over 2 days, is £80 for both?

(been watching British League Speedway on tv, but just not the same without the Heathens).

Mac
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Kidderminster

Re: Speedway

Post by Mac » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:59 pm

Medieval wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:29 pm
Phil wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:20 pm
Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:43 pm
Going to speedway of nations in Manchester this weekend. Hoping it goes to a replay. Be nice to see the team win again.

£80 a ticket??? Hope you get a good seat.
Looks like it`s over 2 days, is £80 for both?

(been watching British League Speedway on tv, but just not the same without the Heathens).
Speedway of nations FINAL (Speedway World Cup Final) is costing me £27.50 on Saturday and £27.50 on Sunday. As a speedway fan since 1973 I would not miss this.
This is to see the best riders in the world compete on a fantastic track. Unfortunately the best english rider Mr Tai Woffinden no longer rides for an english team (like the majority of best in the world riders) and this may be my only chance to see him ride for a while.
I agree British league racing is crap nowadays compared to the days Penhall, Gundersen, Nielsen, Ermolenko etc graced our tracks in front of huge crowds.
I would argue the price of the ticket is much better value than the price of a ticket to watch rubbish football here.
Last edited by Mac on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Neurotic Norman
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:53 pm
Location: Shropshire

Re: Speedway

Post by Neurotic Norman » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:58 pm

Mac wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:59 pm
I agree British league racing is crap nowadays compared to the days Penhall, Gundersen, Nielsen, Ermolenko etc graced our tracks in front of huge crowds.
Penhall & Gundersen. Those were the days. 1981 World Final was the greatest ever.

Anyway, COYR
I'm a bag of ****** nerves

User avatar
garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
Posts: 7861
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:53 am
Location: Kiddy

Re: Speedway

Post by garthrockett » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:19 pm

Penhall & Gundersen. Those were the days. 1981 World Final was the greatest ever.
Went to Wolves and Cradley a few times, but could never get my head round teams having "guest riders" on ocassion, who were usually better than the pukka team members...... :)
"When I was young I was heavily into Thrash Metal and baking....I was an angry kid, but you gotta eat....."

TWG85
1st team
1st team
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 pm
Location: Shropshire

Re: Speedway

Post by TWG85 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:23 pm

Speedway, hey? Used to follow that for a time myself.

Both my old man and Grandad were fairly successful Grass Track riders in the area, back in the day.

Jasper
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 am

Re: Speedway

Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:20 pm

The master, Ivor Brown, raced for Cradley in the early 60's. I was a member of their supporter's club for 5 years. Brilliant times.

BishBashBosh
Youth team
Youth team
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:48 pm

Re: Speedway

Post by BishBashBosh » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:57 pm

ditto, big fan of Cradley, hero was Steve Bastable, how time flies!

Medieval
1st team
1st team
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Speedway

Post by Medieval » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:35 pm

We used to use our everyday bikes to ride around our own speedway track, in the middle of our football pitch, on what was formerly a cricket ground.

Biggest regret, not attending the 81 world final.

Most emotional, Eric Gundersens testimonial.

EDIT: Just to clarify, our pushbikes!

Mac
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Kidderminster

Re: Speedway

Post by Mac » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:19 am

Was at Wembley in 81 to see the Penhall masterclass.

Grew up surrounded by speedway riders as Kristian Praestbro and Erik Gundersen were next door to our flat in Deans Road, Wolves.

Sadly Big Al passed away recently. Those who went to Cradley in 80s will remember the successful team riding partnership he had with flying Phil Collins.

Well done to GB riders who won the SON last weekend at Belle Vue. First time we have won the Team World Cup since 1989. Unfortunately no celebrations back then as our thoughts were with Erik after that horrific crash.

Neurotic Norman
Subs bench
Subs bench
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:53 pm
Location: Shropshire

Re: Speedway

Post by Neurotic Norman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:51 pm

Mac wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:19 am
Was at Wembley in 81 to see the Penhall masterclass.

Grew up surrounded by speedway riders as Kristian Praestbro and Erik Gundersen were next door to our flat in Deans Road, Wolves.

Sadly Big Al passed away recently. Those who went to Cradley in 80s will remember the successful team riding partnership he had with flying Phil Collins.

Well done to GB riders who won the SON last weekend at Belle Vue. First time we have won the Team World Cup since 1989. Unfortunately no celebrations back then as our thoughts were with Erik after that horrific crash.
Colin Pratt died the day before Big Al as well. :crying:
I'm a bag of ****** nerves

Post Reply