League news / Former Harriers 2

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: League news / Former Harriers 2

Post by Joe Stalin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:11 pm

Some absolute sacrilege on here. Nothing but ill will towards Worcester City, now and always. Have some historical roots, people!

Simple simon
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Simple simon » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:02 pm

I remember late 70 s when playing Worcester City usually Worcestershire senior cup final was the highlight of harriers season as they were the bigger club

TomLong78
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TomLong78 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:06 pm

Suspect the Worcester City thing is a bit of a generational divide.

I am in the second half of my 40s (no, I know I don’t look it…) and have followed the club since the mid-1980s. In that time we have been in the same division as Worcester City for all of one season.

I perhaps don’t wish them as well as some, as I can see a rapidly growing city with an expanding population and catchment area, if WCFC was run very well, could potentially catch up and, god help us, even overtake Kiddy (remembering that for the majority of our respective histories they were arguably a more successful club, albeit comfortably before my time).

But equally I find it quite difficult to have any antipathy towards City.

Now if you asked me about my feelings towards Bromsgrove Rovers (RIP) when I was a teenager, that’s a completely different story…

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:34 pm

As a generation below Tom (arguably one and a half), I'm in the same boat. We've never had any big make-or-break games against Worcester, just a Trophy game and two festive fixtures. I wish them well and hope they get to the same division as us, same as Bromsgrove, then let any sort of rivalry return! Until then it's all academic. Anyone know any City or Bromsgrove fans? Exactly.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:32 pm

harry211 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:34 pm
As a generation below Tom (arguably one and a half), I'm in the same boat. We've never had any big make-or-break games against Worcester, just a Trophy game and two festive fixtures. I wish them well and hope they get to the same division as us, same as Bromsgrove, then let any sort of rivalry return! Until then it's all academic. Anyone know any City or Bromsgrove fans? Exactly.
Know quite a few worcester city fans, but i do live there. Theyve got the potential to get back to where we are, they just need the backing. Pretty much the same as every club in the world. If enough investment comes, they start winning leagues, then the fans will return. I mean just in the last 10 years our attendances have risen as more buzz generates around the club. Once we drop back into the NLN, if we do, then the attendances will probably drop back down, although slightly due to away attendances too.

Their support atm has pretty much been decimated by ground sharing with us, bromsgrove etc. For me, given the size of the city, the average attendances at st georges lane and a kind of rebirth of the club getting promoted a few times it has the potential.

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:38 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority and I don't want our rivals to have more success than us but I'd love more games against Bromsgrove, Worcester and Hereford for example over games against other teams. I never wish them success but I dot mind Worcester or Bromsgrove getting back up the leagues as long as they don't overtake us.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:57 am

Interesting stuff!

I'd rather be in a league above Hereford, Worcester etc. And I don't want them to get to Wembley.

Worcester have a long way to go - a new ground for a start - but yes, big potential.
With success comes issues - they had trouble in their Vase semi-final against Wakering I see.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:08 am

Seem to remember some years ago reading a report for potential football success in Worcestershire, poss on this site (Garth?). It ranked Worcester above us.

Also with the demise of Warriors, could have a boost in support.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:24 am

Back in the early 1970s I went on the coach with my dad to an FA Cup match at St Georges Lane with the harriers; we won 1-0 and came back with no windscreen in the coach.
Forward to late 1970s and various gangs of youths from both respective areas regularly trekked up the dual carriageway to "sort out" their counterparts. Thankfully that died out.
That was then and this is now.
I can't raise any animosity against a club which through mismanagement and financial incompetence didn't even have their own ground for several years. There by the grace of God, etc. Worcester fans have been through enough turmoil the last decade, they deserve a bit of success.

Jeez, there's enough negativity and hate in the world at the moment, football rivalries should be the least of people's worries.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:24 am

Maybe it's because I live in Worcester. Maybe it's because I know some of their fans. Maybe it's because the important stuff in the world is so bloody awful that I take solace in hating Worcester City (and Hereford and Fylde). Football hate isn't the same as actual hate, let's face it. If it IS, something has gone seriously wrong.

Or maybe it's because I'm a wimble. I don't know.

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:21 pm

I'll just add that City losing in sudden death on penalties today was the only time I think I smiled all day (well, except at Gold's miss, because you just had to laugh).

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:29 am

The FA Vase - the only non-league thing KHFC have never won.
I can deal with that.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:15 am

Not gonna lie, hearing on the radio that City lost did cheer me up a bit

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:56 pm

tonythescout wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:15 am
Not gonna lie, hearing on the radio that City lost did cheer me up a bit
Me too!

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:12 pm

Oh, Hereford fans think it's Chrismas with us getting relegated and Worcester City missing our on Wembley. Says everything about their non-entity of a club that that is all they can take pleasure in on a day they won away to keep their slim playoff chances alive...