Released or Retained

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Released or Retained

Post by tonythescout » Mon May 16, 2022 2:21 pm

Honestly dont get the want to get rid of simpson, even the thought of having palmer as first choice is bizarre but then again people on here thought Foulkes was quality on THursday. its a game of opinions i suppose.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Mon May 16, 2022 2:26 pm

harriershane wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:11 am
Id definitely be trying to keep hold of Simpson. Don’t want to be going back down the hole of young loanee keepers now we have an established #1

I get both sides with OSJ. Whatever happens, I think that’ll be a 50/50 split.

Martin has kicked on, given that we were all surprised that he even got a deal for this season. The trouble with comparing to Bonds is we were a “get fit” option for Cheltenham - he went back and got straight into a League One outfit.

Cameron is worth another year. Solid defender, yes he’s had a couple of injury issues but I’d rather have him than not. We’re not gonna keep Bajrami, as much as we’d love to, so I think we need to try and keep one of that partnership and/or experienced head with Lowe gone as well.

I think it’s more slight adjustments than a complete overhaul
Yep. You've sold me on Cameron, Shane, the old sage that you are. :D I just think you've gotta go into it with the idea he may only play half the games, which is gonna affect the overall distribution of the budget. You need good back up or to back yourself to find another Preston mid season, with the funds to do so.

Feel a bit guilty putting Simpson on my conflicted list now. Especially the state of the poor fella's face after Boston! He has been very good, though you could argue there's been games where he hasn't had to do too much. However if they brought in a 6'2 plus high earner, late twenties-mid thirties, coming out of the football league or national league, with a number of appearances under their belt and a good attitude, you wouldn't get any complaints from me.

Also gonna stick my neck out on Sterling and say no. If the plan is to continue with 4-3-3 as the primary formation, or 442, I say go with Ash, Sam Austin, Tolley/Jaiden and a livewire, Under 23s loanee with frightening pace, a bit of meat on their bones, a good attitude and on favourable terms, as your four wide men. Trust Russ to find a gem out there and would free up some funds for elsewhere.
Last edited by TWG85 on Mon May 16, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon May 16, 2022 2:49 pm

TWG85 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:26 pm
harriershane wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:11 am
Id definitely be trying to keep hold of Simpson. Don’t want to be going back down the hole of young loanee keepers now we have an established #1

I get both sides with OSJ. Whatever happens, I think that’ll be a 50/50 split.

Martin has kicked on, given that we were all surprised that he even got a deal for this season. The trouble with comparing to Bonds is we were a “get fit” option for Cheltenham - he went back and got straight into a League One outfit.

Cameron is worth another year. Solid defender, yes he’s had a couple of injury issues but I’d rather have him than not. We’re not gonna keep Bajrami, as much as we’d love to, so I think we need to try and keep one of that partnership and/or experienced head with Lowe gone as well.

I think it’s more slight adjustments than a complete overhaul
Yep. You've sold me on Cameron, Shane, the old sage that you are. :D I just think you've gotta go into it with the idea he may only play half the games, which is gonna affect the overall distribution of the budget. You need good back up or to back yourself to find another Preston mid season, with the funds to do so.

Feel a bit guilty putting Simpson on my conflicted list now. Especially the state of the poor fella's face after Boston! He has been very good, though you could argue there's been games where he hasn't had to do too much. However if they brought in a 6'2 plus high earner, late twenties-mid thirties, coming out of the football league or national league, with a number of appearances under their belt and a good attitude, you wouldn't get any complaints from me.

Also gonna stick my neck out on Sterling and say no. If the plan is to continue with 4-3-3 as the primary formation, or 442, I say go with Ash, Sam Austin, Tolley/Jaiden and a livewire, Under 23s loanee with frightening pace, a bit of meat on their bones, a good attitude and on favourable terms, as your four. Trust Russ to find a gem out there and would free up some funds.
None of those players boss midfield for me. We need to control the game from the centre of the park.

A playmaker (with some bite) and an enforcer (who's also mobile) are on my shopping list.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Mon May 16, 2022 3:25 pm

Agree re issues in midfield. We need more quality there if we are going to improve.

Carrington dropped his performance level as the season went on. Can we get better in? Will need to if we want promotion.

Montrose hasn't ever got going for us. Lacks mobility, young family (up north?) so will probably be off.

Martin is a difficult one although moot as he's signed. Suppose he will get better but not really seen him influence games yet.

Agree re the need to get a Preston type player in defence.

And definitely need some more quality up front.

There are going to he hundreds and hundreds of free agents and I don't envy management teams at this time of year. The best players will have multiple offers and might make late decisions. Then if they don't choose you you're mopping up the dregs.

Netherton Saddler81
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Netherton Saddler81 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:33 pm

As I mentioned on another thread if I were Penn I'd be asking the question about Tom Leak. He would be perfect for you guys. Maybe been a ex team mate of freemantle he could convince him to join 🤔

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:48 pm

Netherton Saddler81 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:33 pm
As I mentioned on another thread if I were Penn I'd be asking the question about Tom Leak. He would be perfect for you guys. Maybe been a ex team mate of freemantle he could convince him to join 🤔
Signed him on this year's Football Manager for Harriers, he took me to league 1 so I can vouch for him 😂

Netherton Saddler81
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Netherton Saddler81 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:08 pm

I signed his brother Ryan for Kiddy on a free from Burton :D

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Mon May 16, 2022 5:15 pm

From the club:
The following players are already contracted to the club for at least the 2022/23 season:
Sam Austin
Keziah Martin
Ethan Freemantle
Kai Lissimore
Amari Morgan-Smith
Ashley Hemmings
Caleb Richards
Alex Penny

The following players will be offered new contracts with the club:
Tom Palmer
Geraldo Bajrami
Omari Sterling
Jaiden White
Jamie Emery

Discussions are ongoing with the following players:
Nathan Cameron
Cliff Moyo

The following players are to leave the club following the end of their contracts:
Keith Lowe
Luke Simpson
Mark Carrington
Nyal Bell
Lewis Montrose

The following players will return to their parent clubs following loan spells at Aggborough
Joe Foulkes
Corey Panter
Devonte Redmond
All looks sensible to me, although I'm sad to lose Carrington and Foulkes.

Come on Baj! One more season.
Last edited by Edgar T Peaceful on Mon May 16, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:17 pm

Mark Carrington has confirmed that he is to retire from football – everyone associated with the club wishes Mark well for the future and whatever comes next.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon May 16, 2022 5:29 pm

What are we discussing with Cameron? Why havent we offered him a new deal?
Shame on Simpson as thought he done well and was definately worth another year. Gutted on Carrington too but best wishes to him.
Dont agree wth OSJ being given a deal for reasons I have stated previously.
Not surprised on Montrose either.
Foulkes be nice to see him back on loan as back up to penny and richards though i imagine walsall will want him playing each week, possibly higher up than our level.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:38 pm

Massive shock that Simpson's actually going. Didn't think that was even actually seriously being considered. Big loss.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Mon May 16, 2022 5:41 pm

As some pointed out to me on Twitter, maybe this was Luke’s choice. Had enough of the travelling?

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:45 pm

I said it was a 50/50 with Simpson or Palmer and Penn has made the call. Its a big one and a risky one but one I'm not surprised about either. Could backfire though. Gutted that Carrington has decided to reitre, was immense particularly the first half of the season.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:46 pm

Krasnyi wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:41 pm
As some pointed out to me on Twitter, maybe this was Luke’s choice. Had enough of the travelling?
Think that's actually fairly likely. But who knows. Big moneyspinning move off to Macc perhaps? Backup to Stockport in the FL? Good luck to him.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Mon May 16, 2022 5:50 pm

harry211 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:46 pm
Krasnyi wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:41 pm
Think that's actually fairly likely. But who knows. Big moneyspinning move off to Macc perhaps? Backup to Stockport in the FL? Good luck to him.
Perhaps a move to a freshly full time Altrincham?
He who dares...wins