League news/Former Harriers 1

I've put all the more interesting old threads in here so they can still be seen following the board overhaul in October 2008. It'll be read only.

Moderator: Phil

Steve H
Youth team
Youth team

Re: League news/Former Harriers

Post by Steve H » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:53 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:58 am
Potentially an excellent signing for them. Great lad too.

Sigh.
Too Old. 32 Years old this year and had problems with injuries. We need athletic and dynamic midfielders.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:37 pm

Brilliant signing for Hereford.

Majestic
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Majestic » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:47 pm

Remember the best midfield signing we ever made who was "over the hill with dodgy knees" - Mike Marsh. Did a great job for us and Vincent could do the same for Hereford; though admittedly not in the same class as Mike Marsh.

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:10 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:21 pm
harriershane wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:01 pm
TWG85 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:00 pm
Big move for Ryan and a little closer to home. Love The Shanahans. My favourite owners in football.
https://twitter.com/OfficialPVFC/status/1409139543983497217
Well done to him. Almost like some people didn’t know what they were on about when they were scapegoating him...
If footballers make mistakes, then football supporters are going to say something about it.
Certainly was the scapegoat for a few fans, some of them contributors on here. Every player makes mistakes, and I can be the first to show my sentiments after mistakes, but some are condemned consistently for theirs.
Ryan Johnson had potential to move into the football league, nobody said it would be the Championship but he's found a level that suits his ability. Great to see an ex Harriers achieving success at a higher level.

BobGreenwoodsDad
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by BobGreenwoodsDad » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:43 pm

I recall that Freddie Ladapo was another one who was not good enough, as was Jordan Tunnicliffe . Kiddy fans don’t have a great record of picking a future good player

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:07 am

BobGreenwoodsDad wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:43 pm
I recall that Freddie Ladapo was another one who was not good enough, as was Jordan Tunnicliffe . Kiddy fans don’t have a great record of picking a future good player
I always loved Jordan Tunnicliffe.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:12 pm

Jasper wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:10 pm
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:21 pm
harriershane wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:01 pm
TWG85 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:00 pm
Big move for Ryan and a little closer to home. Love The Shanahans. My favourite owners in football.
https://twitter.com/OfficialPVFC/status/1409139543983497217
Well done to him. Almost like some people didn’t know what they were on about when they were scapegoating him...
If footballers make mistakes, then football supporters are going to say something about it.
Certainly was the scapegoat for a few fans, some of them contributors on here. Every player makes mistakes, and I can be the first to show my sentiments after mistakes, but some are condemned consistently for theirs.
Ryan Johnson had potential to move into the football league, nobody said it would be the Championship but he's found a level that suits his ability. Great to see an ex Harriers achieving success at a higher level.
Everyone wishes him well.

His performances were variable here. There is no doubt that if he'd have made some of the errors he made here at Hartlepool then their supporters would also have been as vocal. Always had potential, hopefully he continues to play consistently in a winning side. And that can often be the key for some players. Its easier to look good in a winning team and also you're more likely to struggle in a poor team.
RJ also had spells at Stevenage, Boreham wood and Nuneaton which, I assume, didn't fully work out. KHFC are not unique in this. Sometimes it works out for a player, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't agree with the sentiment of "Harriers fans can't tell a future good player". This is a case of some of you reading a few comments from the more vocal fans and extrapolating to "all Harriers fans".

Would it be possible for all posters to be split into two groups by the way? Those who "know what they're on about" and those "who don't know what they're on about"? As clearly some of you are always in the former group and perhaps I am in the latter!

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:56 pm

I dont recall Tunnicliffe getting any grief. Always thought he was decent, though like many lower league players, took a couple of months to get used to the step up. But thats not an issue, all part of the game when you sign a lower league player. Wish we would do it again, picked up plenty of gems over the years.
I also reject the comment that Harriers fans cant pick a good type of player. We all see the same thing. Johnson was error strewn during his time here. His loan spell was bad, yet we paid a fee and signed him on an 18 month deal. I think most of the anger and frustration was directed at that rather than the player himself. Suprised hes gone into the FL but again wish him well. Never wanted to see a player do bad etc.
I felt for Ladapo, many harriers fans would have wanted his babies if his shot at Sunderland would have been two inches to the right. He rarely played and when he did was on the left. Harsh to label him shit when he didnt have much scope to display his skills, during a time where the air around the place was poisonous.

BobGreenwoodsDad
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by BobGreenwoodsDad » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:06 pm

I also liked Tunniclffe but he certainly got some stick from the North Stand. Ladapo never really had a chance but that did not stop a vocal (admittedly probably minority) section of the fans from getting on his back. There is no doubt that Johnson was error prone (perhaps like a poor man’s John Stones ?) but his errors were jumped on more than others. I imagine he improved at Hartlepool when his own fans weren’t booing him

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 pm

One time I do remember was an error made by Joel Taylor, it may even have led to a goal. Unanimously, the cries were aimed at Johnson. It got tragically laughable at times
He who dares...wins

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:26 pm

BobGreenwoodsDad wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:06 pm
I also liked Tunniclffe but he certainly got some stick from the North Stand. Ladapo never really had a chance but that did not stop a vocal (admittedly probably minority) section of the fans from getting on his back. There is no doubt that Johnson was error prone (perhaps like a poor man’s John Stones ?) but his errors were jumped on more than others. I imagine he improved at Hartlepool when his own fans weren’t booing him
The point is that they would be if he'd made the mistakes there.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:17 pm

I thought part of the average fan's football enjoyment was about having your favourites and your villans.
We are only human after all.
Unbelievable.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:58 am

All our guys are the good guys. (So lets get behind them)

All their guys are the bad guys.

And the ref is a winker.

It's panto. (And, I don't want anyone to disagree with me! :D )
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:15 pm

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:59 am

Rhead was one of those awkward Cusses that always seemed to have a good game against us. Good signing if he keeps the weight off.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022