Retained lists 2024

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Retained lists

Post by Marcus Garvey » Thu May 16, 2024 3:01 pm

tonythescout wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:20 pm
Marcus Garvey wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:18 pm
tonythescout wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 12:21 pm
We should go all out for Mark Beck, will be perfect for us. Wonder what fee they would want for him (says hes transfer listed) Would Stearman come here? Experience to the back line. May be good to have around particularly with the young McNally impressing.
Wasnt Hall linked with us a year or so ago?
After sleeping on yesterdays revelation that Byrne has gone and the circumstances around it, its clear Brown is being clinical with the decision making.
Byrne has had two very badly injury hit campaigns. Keeping a high earner on good money with the potential that he may be missing for a large chunk is a massive risk. perhaps offering him a bit less with the aim of brining in another two to add significant depth may have been Browns thinking which for me is logical. The depth in midfield last year was farcical. We were left with Brown and Lissmore and Maguire on loan. All poor and relatively inexperienced. We then had Hobson who was shoved in the ten role as Lambert then got injured. We then had Griff come in who was OK at best and then out of desperation in came the Ox from the wilderness. Weston was a very good signing in the end but the turn over of players - loads no where near good enough in the midfield was farcical, and Brown will have seen that. We had two decent midfielders in Leesley and Byrne, both missed huge chunks of the season. And we had no depth. It killed us.
Penn was lambasted by some for showing complete naivety and giving in to loyalty last season which had a huge impact on how the season went. That coupled with replacing last years favoured first 11 departures (Foulkes and Morison) with an injury hit centre half and a full back who is more suited to cross country competitions.
Brown has to make harsh decisions and I think he's done that, in releasing Preston and maybe taking a view on Pearce and Byrne on certain factors.
I doubt he would have stayed if the budget was very modest and we would have struggled to build a side to challenge for promotion. I also doubt that the likes of Dibble and Hemmo would have stayed also if that wasnt the case.
Come end of May if we make some very good signings then this dramatic reaction from some and silly jabs at the DOF will simmer down somewhat.
A big summer ahead and we are only mid way through May.
Lets see how the signings pan out.
But sometimes, unpopular decisions are needed for the good of reaching targets.
Silly jabs? I appreciate you have joined the cult and are willing to blindly follow but are the rest of us not allowed to question? I await the list of positive benefits we have seen since his introduction....but all promises of which nothing had been delivered thus far. Season ticket rises or surely prices cut for NLN??
I hope I'm wrong but suspect you'll be making further excuses to take away the blame from your Messiah come October. Time will tell ....
LOL
Still waiting for that list. Empty vessels and all that.

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Thu May 16, 2024 3:37 pm

BobGreenwoodsDad wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:22 pm
Krasnyi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 12:54 pm
Beck is exactly the kind of player we need up front in the NLN.
This feels like the precursor to a clamour for Matt Rhead
I read somewhere earlier in the season that the reason he hasn't kicked a ball is that he required surgery which would cost 18k and the PFA wouldn't fund it so he's just on the NHS waiting list, so he's done
He who dares...wins

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:49 pm

BobGreenwoodsDad wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:22 pm
Krasnyi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 12:54 pm
Beck is exactly the kind of player we need up front in the NLN.
This feels like the precursor to a clamour for Matt Rhead
Kyle Perry 😏

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Thu May 16, 2024 5:19 pm

Now that's a name I have been waiting for. I'm sure he would sign - and he could play in a band in The Arms when injured/too knackered to play.

That aside, if Sbarra is such a great player, why are Moors releasing him? Something doesn't add up. That said, I guess he is likely to have offers from other NL clubs unless there is an injury issue.

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:36 pm

Grumpy old man wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 5:19 pm
Now that's a name I have been waiting for. I'm sure he would sign - and he could play in a band in The Arms when injured/too knackered to play.

That aside, if Sbarra is such a great player, why are Moors releasing him? Something doesn't add up. That said, I guess he is likely to have offers from other NL clubs unless there is an injury issue.
Released can be ambiguous. He could have told them he's rejecting a contract, he could have a deal elsewhere already done.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu May 16, 2024 5:55 pm

Grumpy old man wrote:

He's rejected a one year contract extension from last year. Told them this week he no longer wanted it.

Someone offered £500,000 for him at the time too.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat May 18, 2024 12:21 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Sat May 18, 2024 6:43 pm

Phil wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 5:55 pm
Grumpy old man wrote:

He's rejected a one year contract extension from last year. Told them this week he no longer wanted it.

Blackburn are interested.
https://www.footballinsider247.com/blackburn-rovers-plot-joe-sbarra-raid-sources/

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon May 20, 2024 8:22 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:43 pm
Phil wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 5:55 pm
Grumpy old man wrote:

Blackburn are interested.
https://www.footballinsider247.com/blackburn-rovers-plot-joe-sbarra-raid-sources/

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu May 23, 2024 7:19 am

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu May 23, 2024 9:21 am

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Thu May 23, 2024 9:45 am

Phil wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:21 am
Aaron Harper-Bailey released by WBA

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/albion-confirm-202324-retained-and-released-lists
Would think he would be a lad we could work with again and will surely be on PB's radar?
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu May 23, 2024 11:11 am

Mayo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:45 am
Phil wrote:

Would think he would be a lad we could work with again and will surely be on PB's radar?

Hmmm. I thought he was poor tbh.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu May 23, 2024 11:18 am

Charlie Weston released by Blackburn. Have him back in a shot but think he'll go elsewhere.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/may/18/retain-list-confirmed/

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:28 pm

Phil wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:11 am
Mayo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:45 am
Phil wrote:

Hmmm. I thought he was poor tbh.
His debut when he was thrown on against Oxford City on his debut he looked like he fit right in. After that he wasn't great but I think in the NLN there might be a player there who would be worth looking at.