Retained lists

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Retained lists

Post by tonythescout » Wed May 08, 2024 11:11 am

Morrison had an impact hit defensively we were not bad anyway.
The pairing of leesley and Byrne together was a huge improvement in the centre of midfield which was mainly awful - just like this season and the form of ams and hemmo.
Missing a midfield engine room good enough did us aswell as not signing a significantly decent striker for our level.
Perhaps we go with gold and Philips who have got records at this level. Who knows. But I think we need a centre forward and two very good midfielders as we cannot reply on Byrne staying fit- he has had two injury hit campaigns. Plus zac brown is a nightmare off the ball. So weak.
Perhaps we are cutting our cloth accordingly lkle most clubs do when they get relegated so the bench/squad will be made of your Halls Rubios etx
Brown said he’s looking to bring a few in though so we shall see. He’s clearly not a stupid bloke. Hands are toes with gold and Philips under contracts and the ox but we shall see.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed May 08, 2024 1:15 pm

tonythescout wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:11 am
Morrison had an impact hit defensively we were not bad anyway.
The pairing of leesley and Byrne together was a huge improvement in the centre of midfield which was mainly awful - just like this season and the form of ams and hemmo.
Missing a midfield engine room good enough did us aswell as not signing a significantly decent striker for our level.
Perhaps we go with gold and Philips who have got records at this level. Who knows. But I think we need a centre forward and two very good midfielders as we cannot reply on Byrne staying fit- he has had two injury hit campaigns. Plus zac brown is a nightmare off the ball. So weak.
Perhaps we are cutting our cloth accordingly lkle most clubs do when they get relegated so the bench/squad will be made of your Halls Rubios etx
Brown said he’s looking to bring a few in though so we shall see. He’s clearly not a stupid bloke. Hands are toes with gold and Philips under contracts and the ox but we shall see.
As he is not a stupid bloke, I presume that PB was advised of a budget for next season before signing up. I have to believe that he thinks it sufficient.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed May 08, 2024 4:26 pm

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Wed May 08, 2024 4:50 pm

"Hands are toes with Gold.". Perhaps we're now beginning to understand the reasons for some of his performances last season now. Especially if the opposite is also true.

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Wed May 08, 2024 5:49 pm

Wouldn't say no to Hornby if Dibble doesn't sign

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Wed May 08, 2024 9:54 pm

Harrier1994 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 5:49 pm
I think we should get Hornby in to train with us. I don't think it would de-rail our pre-season too much. It might send out the right signal to our rivals. Got to go into the new season with full head of steam, be on track and not hit the buffers.

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grumpy old man » Thu May 09, 2024 6:26 am

Must say I was underwhelmed by our retained list - made me realise how much dead wood remains in our squad but hope I am proven wrong.

As others have said, it will be interesting to see how many of those offered contracts actually sign - my guess is less than 50%. Depending upon other recruitment that could be either a good or bad thing.

Grenoble Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grenoble Harrier » Thu May 09, 2024 8:59 am

jim mankey wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:54 pm
Harrier1994 wrote:
I think we should get Hornby in to train with us. I don't think it would de-rail our pre-season too much. It might send out the right signal to our rivals. Got to go into the new season with full head of steam, be on track and not hit the buffers.
Very good!!
(not sure what Thomas 'the tank engine' Palmer would think of all this though!)

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu May 09, 2024 9:55 am

jim mankey wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:54 pm
Harrier1994 wrote:
Very good, Jim!
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Thu May 09, 2024 11:23 am

It took me longer than I'd like to realise that was a joke!

The more I think about it, the more I think Hemmo/AMS playing regularly next season will be a mistake. Club legends, but...if we're looking to go up next season (which we should be), we should be squad building with a sliver of an eye on where we'll be this time next season. Say we do go up next season, with AMS and Hemmo leading the way - who would want them to start (yes, 25/26) as our forward line? I think it's a massive risk.

If we are keeping Gold and Phillips (I really hope the latter is given a proper go, both Justin Richards and Marvin years ago went away and then came back and did very well), then we need to get some midfielders in who can provide decent service. That means a winger who can cross a ball and a midfielder who can consistently deliver set pieces. We got a handful from Hemmo/Lambert last season and corners, but I don't think anyone would try to argue they were regularly delivering quality into the box from a dead ball.

Preston going probably the right call. I didn't get the hype around him last season. Will always be fondly remembered for that West Ham game, and I'll be interested to see where he ends up (Tamworth?) but think we should be hoping for better. Don't rate Pearce, sorry, that half against Altrincham was terrifying. As a coach, fine, but Brown was fairly critical of his leadership abilities. Then again, a coach is not the same as a manager and he seems to want to build a 'boot room' of experience, so Pearce may provide a link between the dressing room and manager's office. Shame NKP isn't staying on the staff, think he'd have been very useful, but he may want to carry on playing. Someone told me he lives in the north west, Macclesfield perhaps?

Byrne important to keep. Same with Dibble. I too am surprised about Palmer. I wonder if any of the contracted players might move off, wouldn't be surprised if Caleb wasn't here come August.

Hopeful to see those signings Brown mentions, and let's get the season tickets/shirts/friendlies announced!!
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Thu May 09, 2024 11:35 am

Am I the only one on here that is puzzled by the offer of contracts to certain players (various reasons) - but personally, of those that are out of contract the only one I would offer a contract to would be Shane Byrne. All the others have reasons to question that the club could do better, and I include both keepers in that category. As regards some of those contracted for next season, I would be majorly concerned if they turned out to be 'starters' for PB's Harriers. The whole squad needs a revamp IMO.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Thu May 09, 2024 11:44 am

In full agreement with you Harry on ams and hemmo. To expect two players who's ages equate to over 70 years of age to weigh in 40 goals between them is very ambitious.
I suspect they are being offered reduced terms with the prospect of them being squad players which to be fair would be good but if they are being looked at as first teamers, it would be a concern.
I think with Palmer he will sit on the bench for a few months whilst they loan Bishop out again. If he is happy playing the Van der Geow/Scott carson role then fair enough.
Wont be surprised if 3/4 of them end up at Halesowen. Think Lissimore and Fremantle will.
Dibble is the only one I think that will attract interest from elsewhere in the NL. Others wont. Richards steady for that league but that's it, wouldn't warrant a transfer bid. People talk about Byrne but he has had two injury hit seasons. I imagine he will be here next season. Think AMs will be do, Hemmings will be off elsewhere, likely Halesowen.
Brown said 6/7 coming in. Given Pearce coaching role and Preston and NKP going, a centre half or two will likely be coming in. We need two good midfielders and wide men. We cant lack depth in midfeild or hope Byrne will be fit for the whole season.
Brown said he was impressed with two loan players, imagine weston was one, who was the other/ Kpekewa? wouldnt mind seeing him here, looked decent.
Was talk of them wanting to move Gold on. Hope Philips gets a fair crack of the whip. Him wanting to go out and play first team football isnt a bad thing. Think he was harshly treated by Penn - he seemed to fall out with a few.

Bewdleyharrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Bewdleyharrier » Thu May 09, 2024 5:56 pm

If any join Penn at Halesowen it just shows how bad his recruitment was last summer, that players he took and had part of his squad for our National League campaign can drop 2 leagues into a part time league (and probably not set the world alight....Freemantle hardly banged the goals in at Stourbridge last season did he....)

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu May 09, 2024 7:43 pm

Bewdleyharrier wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 5:56 pm
If any join Penn at Halesowen it just shows how bad his recruitment was last summer, that players he took and had part of his squad for our National League campaign can drop 2 leagues into a part time league (and probably not set the world alight....Freemantle hardly banged the goals in at Stourbridge last season did he....)
Do you have stats for his time there? Stourbridge never publish any stats so I always have to put in 'no data'.