Retained lists

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Retained lists

Post by tonythescout » Tue May 07, 2024 5:45 pm

Be plenty of theories going around but I do not agree that the forward line looks strong. I am very concerned that we may go with ams and hemmings as regulars which is a no no for me. Ams showed his was leggy ast season and failed to take the odd chance that came his way, hemmo has been inconsistent for two seasons now. If we are asking two players who’s combined age is over 70 to score 20 a piece then that’s a massive ask. It may be that if is they have been offered terms to reflect their position iE swuad players which tbf that’s all I see them as.
Midfield needs a massive revamp. Can’t see any of our players aside from dibble attracting any attention from Nl clubs. Byrne spent a large chunk of the season injured penny was inconsistent for the first part.
Only logic with palmer is he coaches and perhaps he will be the bench warmer whilst we sent bishop out on loan again to a higher level than last season?
Be an interesting few weeks.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue May 07, 2024 5:50 pm

There’s clearly a long way to go before we know what the squad is as posters above point out. Being offered a contract doesn’t mean they’ll sign.

Not surprised with those released. Even Robinson.

Palmer staying due to coaching work? If Bishop is coming of age then seems excessive to have three keepers (assuming Dibble stays).

Of those offered contracts you could maybe even add Dibble to Penny and Byrne in terms of their agents offering them around seeing if they can get a NL move / better contract.
If you were Tamworth you might be perhaps having a look at AMS or Hemmo but I agree, I wonder whether either of them could command higher wages elsewhere. Maybe not.

The concern of course is goals. We haven’t scored enough and there is a scenario here that we end up with the same strike force. Yes, I keep hearing that Phillips and Gold have done ok at NLN level before (yes I’ve seen the stats) but they’ve a lot to prove at Kiddy. If they stay hopefully they have a positive attitude to prove everyone wrong.
They are contracted but that doesn’t mean they haven’t been told to try and find a move elsewhere. Gold wasn’t particularly favoured by Brown at the end of the season so it would be a little surprising if he is the main man all of a sudden. Was there ever an option of recalling Phillips from his loan? If there was then we didn’t which might tell a similar story.

The contracted players are for me an issue.

I think we need to try and improve on Zak Brown. Sorry Zak. No slight on your effort. But he’s contracted.

Ox- disappointing season. Is he part of Brown’s plans or encouraged to find a new club?

Lambert - a lot resting on his shoulders.

Kobe Hall - anyone see any indication he can make it at this level? Loans out beckon.

Caleb - for me he didn’t reach the heights last season that he has before. But maybe because of being in a losing side. I’m sure if he was out of contract he’d be looking to stay at NL level.

McNally - improved from the season before. Will be a first choice player.

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Tue May 07, 2024 5:53 pm

Gotta remember as well players that were released might have just told Brown they wanted to leave. Robinson could well have done that.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Tue May 07, 2024 6:08 pm

Not surprised that Sammy has been released, loads of promise but doesn't appear to have a final ball in him. Will be surprised if Tom P is here next season, he wants and needs to be playing, possibly the same will apply to Morgs and Hemmo as I can't see them getting the opportunities to play as much as this season. Can't see Phillips being at the club either, his face hasn't fitted with Penn or Brown.

Shame about Matt Preston.

If three of our present squad aren't playing for Halesowen next season I'll be shocked. Kai Lissimore for starters.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue May 07, 2024 6:39 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Tue May 07, 2024 7:26 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm
Looks to me that with giving contracts to the youth teamers and retaining Tom Palmer (if he agrees) we are looking to save money and relying on the 'old contemptibles' to get us up (again).

I'm interested to see the '5 or 6' he brings in and where they play. Someone who can cross a ball would be nice.

Assuming they sign up we will have AMS, Hemmings with be with Lambert, Ometayo and Philips, which is pretty much his forwards sorted out already?
Ox in centre midfield with Byrne(if he signs) and a Penny (if he signs)/McNally centre back pairing?

So business as usual?
Seb Thompson is more likely to start then any of those forwards

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue May 07, 2024 7:44 pm

Seb Thompson is more likely to start then any of those forwards
As all last season, forgot about Thompson!
we could really do with a wide player, preferably in front of Richards on the left, as NL defenders soon sussed his one-footedness and pushed him onto his right. He hopefully will get a bit more room in NLN.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Tue May 07, 2024 10:46 pm

I have to say I'm disappointed that certain players have been offered contracts, some are over the hill and some simply are not good enough. Does PB there think that some of the team that won promotion from NLN are the answer to winning promotion again?? I would maintain that the nine match winning run to the play offs was more about one player who didn't join Harriers last season - Kyle Morrison ! Scoring goals has been a major problem for the last two seasons, lowest in the NL and lowest (i think) when gaining promotion the season before, I don't see anything but a struggle to not repeat that stat with the current status quo. Like others I do wonder whether Harriers are cash strapped to the point where PB is having to re-sign players he would prefer not to. Player recruitment gets more difficult every season - the summer really is going to be a massive test for management.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Wed May 08, 2024 7:24 am

tonythescout wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:45 pm
Be plenty of theories going around but I do not agree that the forward line looks strong. I am very concerned that we may go with ams and hemmings as regulars which is a no no for me. Ams showed his was leggy ast season and failed to take the odd chance that came his way, hemmo has been inconsistent for two seasons now. If we are asking two players who’s combined age is over 70 to score 20 a piece then that’s a massive ask. It may be that if is they have been offered terms to reflect their position iE swuad players which tbf that’s all I see them as.
Midfield needs a massive revamp. Can’t see any of our players aside from dibble attracting any attention from Nl clubs. Byrne spent a large chunk of the season injured penny was inconsistent for the first part.
Only logic with palmer is he coaches and perhaps he will be the bench warmer whilst we sent bishop out on loan again to a higher level than last season?
Be an interesting few weeks.
Admittedly stats aren't great but we've added Gold, Lambert and Phillips to AMS/Hemmo from last time in the NLN and AMS/Hemmo were two of the better performers from last year (goals and assists). I'm sure we would agree there is a jump up in standard from NLN to NL, we just need a midfield to win the battle and provide a basis to create chances.

King Monkey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by King Monkey » Wed May 08, 2024 8:56 am

Not surprised about Robinson one bit. He was rumoured to be going to Salford before getting injured in what was meant to be his last game for the club.

Could the Krystian Pearce just be a poorly written press release. Surely its a hybrid player\coaching role. Cant see any sense in opting for a coaching only role when he's the best defender at the club and a good age too. Hopefully the club will clarify that one.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am

Pearce's situation could also be a way to stretch the budget. If there is a vacancy in the coaching ranks and he is qualified / capable / interested, it could remove his salary from the playing budget, but he could maintain his player registration and turn out when needed? Pure (and likely idle) speculation.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Wed May 08, 2024 10:24 am

Mayo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am
Pearce's situation could also be a way to stretch the budget. If there is a vacancy in the coaching ranks and he is qualified / capable / interested, it could remove his salary from the playing budget, but he could maintain his player registration and turn out when needed? Pure (and likely idle) speculation.
This. Employ as a coach and can step into first team if needed.

His experience with the younger players will be invaluable

I suspect some younger / hungrier players getting brought in who can jump into the first team, develop and will be good enough to grow into a division or two above

I imagine Philips will be a starter from day 1. Scores loads of goals at this level - and IIRC Brown said he wanted to go out on loan to play first team regular football, not that he was unhappy here

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Wed May 08, 2024 10:35 am

I have a nasty habit of reading between the lines and I may be entirely mistaken, but that somewhat excessive praise of the youngsters in PB's comments has me worried. I remember past regimes who have told us they were going to "give the kids a chance" which was code for "there's no money and we'll just try and survive." I will be very interested to see the quality of this summer's signings but I fear, if we're in for a season of mid-table mediocrity the mood will soon turn sour and the 3000 crowds become a distant memory. Whatever happens this is certainly a crucial season for the very survival of KHFC as we know it, I suggest.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Wed May 08, 2024 10:53 am

maxspeed wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:46 pm
I have to say I'm disappointed that certain players have been offered contracts, some are over the hill and some simply are not good enough. Does PB there think that some of the team that won promotion from NLN are the answer to winning promotion again?? I would maintain that the nine match winning run to the play offs was more about one player who didn't join Harriers last season - Kyle Morrison ! Scoring goals has been a major problem for the last two seasons, lowest in the NL and lowest (i think) when gaining promotion the season before, I don't see anything but a struggle to not repeat that stat with the current status quo. Like others I do wonder whether Harriers are cash strapped to the point where PB is having to re-sign players he would prefer not to. Player recruitment gets more difficult every season - the summer really is going to be a massive test for management.
Totally agree re the impact of Morrison.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Wed May 08, 2024 11:02 am

Northern Harrier wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:24 am
Mayo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:01 am
This. Employ as a coach and can step into first team if needed.

His experience with the younger players will be invaluable

I suspect some younger / hungrier players getting brought in who can jump into the first team, develop and will be good enough to grow into a division or two above

I imagine Philips will be a starter from day 1. Scores loads of goals at this level - and IIRC Brown said he wanted to go out on loan to play first team regular football, not that he was unhappy here
Loads of goals? According to wiki (might be wrong) he scored 14 in 31 for Gloucester in the 22/23 season and 11 in 26 whilst on loan at Swindon Supermarine in the Southern League.
Yes, 14 in 31 is good but he's not done it season in and season out yet. BUT he is only 22 I think so loads of potential development. Hopefully, he has a big part to play.