New players / trialists / rumours 3

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

New players / trialists / rumours 3

Post by Phil » Wed May 01, 2024 7:26 pm

Superkiddy
Youth team
Youth team

Re: New players / trialists / rumours 3

Post by Superkiddy » Tue May 07, 2024 8:56 am

I have heard we are offering significantly lower salaries to players. Keep an eye on Shane Byrne..

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue May 07, 2024 8:59 am

Isn't Shane Byrne the single most important player to re-sign?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Tue May 07, 2024 11:17 am

Like every summer the rumour mill will go into over drive.
I wouldn’t expect all offered would be offered increased salaries following our relegation. Can we afford to keep people who are on deals we could afford in the conference? The same people potentially moaning about that will also moan if the club overspent on wages to a point it would put us in potential danger.
Brown said in his interview on h and w recently the club need to cut their cloth accordingly.
That aside Byrne would be vital to keep despite him havjng two injury hit campaigns. Vastly experienced in the NN a quality operator and leader.
Some of the other so called high earners have had their day, so aren’t worth keeping iE hemmings preston

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue May 07, 2024 12:52 pm

Is cutting our cloth accordingly include employing Brown?

I'd imagine the ageing pros may be offered reduced terms...but beyond that? Recipe for disaster. Surely they'd have had relegation clauses RE wages in their deals?
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Tue May 07, 2024 1:09 pm

This may be being blown out of proportion and a rummar.
I'd suspect a couple of the aging pros as Harry put it have likely been offered reduced terms as wont be starters anymore, ams being one. Hemmings possibly another. What we could offer as conference club compared to being an NN club will differ. tv money and gate figures show that.
Lane mentioned play offs last season so unsure if there is that clause. there should be for those who are on longer deals IMO.
Wonder if there were any on the good old appearence based clause?
Penny is moving abroad from what I hear.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue May 07, 2024 3:58 pm

Do nothing to put in danger the long-term future of the club.

But one does wonder how much of a dent in the playing budget the salary of Brown, McDonald and whatever coaching staff they get in will have.

Will we get any news this week?

Should we have started selling early bird STs? Perhaps the not knowing which league we are in has delayed things? But then again, wouldn't you make two plans?

King Monkey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by King Monkey » Thu May 09, 2024 10:43 am

Are most if not all salaries relative to the level you are playing at? So the players that got promoted last season would of seen an increase and therefore only logical that would decrease with a relegation (plus maybe inline with inflation)

I read somewhere that gone are the days of a players contract being simple £xxx per week, its a basic salary plus appearances, age, length of service, how far into the contract, league position, etc etc.

Sure it was Patrick Bamford on his Podcast that said the higher up you go, you even get shirt sales written into the contract.

Totally off topic but there's something on the PGA tour that increases potential earnings based on Social Media interactions!