Next seasons manager

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Next seasons manager

Post by tonythescout » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 pm

Like I've said previously, its very difficult to attract players when we arent plush for cash, the former manager spunked the budget and a good fee on a forward who isnt good enough for the NL and well adrift at the bottom of the league. Not sure what people were expecting? Paul McCallum and Conn Clarke? Kpwekea and Weston were decent signings IMO, Griffiths not bad but was more of a half decent squad player than a replacement for Byrne (he wasnt bought in as that, presume a back up at the time)
If he stays then it will be fair to judge his signings then IMO. He cant be any worse than the previous incumbents decisions last summer.

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 pm

I agree. I hope Phil Brown stays. The job he was handed was nigh on impossible and when we lost Shane became even more difficult. I'd love to see his performance with a decent set of recruits and a pre-season to get them playing together. May not work but it's the best option I can see at the moment. I'll buy my season tickets whatever. It's a life sentence.

TrialistA
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrialistA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

I agree that it would be a huge gamble for the Harriers to appoint Phil Brown and it's a major decision that will have to be made.

Look at it from Phil Brown's point of view and it's an equally big gamble. If he's seen to fail as a manager (whatever "failure" might be . . . I'd say he might view it as below a top three finish) then, as a manager that hasn't cut it in NLN, he may find that he'll never got another offer of a managerial post.

A big gamble for PB and he'll want to know if he's going to be backed financially before he takes it on.

It's not a decision that's going to be taken lightly by either side.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 pm

Judging by the app notification and the website crashing, I presume he has signed?
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Superkiddy
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Superkiddy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 pm

Same here I assume he has signed after that notification?

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:27 pm

Hopefully Byrne signing! But seriously, he gets my full support and I hope it's a gamble that pays off. :grouphug:

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:33 pm

two year extentions for both.
Now the real work starts........
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Brilliant news and a very ambitious move by the club. I imagine the goal during the two year tenure is get us up then keep us there.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm

Can't say I'm happy, personally. The dropoff in form last ten games worries me, along with financially. Ended the season with a completely unreasonably bloated squad, for the level, and he and Holdsworth really seem to be able to bend Lane's ear.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:18 pm

What would be nice is if they make Byrne or someone else a player/first-team coach.There has got to be the potential for renewal in the idea of appointing a manager in his mid-60s on a two-year deal.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 pm

Someone told me when he came we were seven points adrift and we finish six points adrift. However, he gets grace as it’s not his squad.

First and foremost all decisions at the club must be made without putting its future in jeopardy. One can only assume that financially Lane thinks we can afford this and a good playing budget. The level of the signings will be interesting. We don’t want any sh*t or bust situation. There’s nothing to suggest this is the case.

The good thing compared to someone else coming in is that no-one needs time to give each player a chance and assess the squad. He’s done that so must have an excellent idea of what he wants to do.

Regardless of who was in charge I’d be pessimistic about an immediate return. It’s going to be a massive challenge and we don’t want to act as if we are going to walk it. We had years down there and could easily drift again.

Time will tell won’t it. No need to nail your colours to the mast. Let’s wait and see. Hopefully we manage to win a lot more (particularly at home) games.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:43 pm

Ended up 8 points adrift.

Nothing more to say.

the potato
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by the potato » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:54 pm

I was a fan of RP and was one of the few who felt we owed him more time and loyalty.

That said, I think the rough maths shows RP secured 0.71 points per game (20 points over 28 games) and PB 1.44 per game (26 from 18).

Maybe a statistic that can be scrutinised and put in context by some but also a powerful headline suggesting PB made a big difference....

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:01 pm

Bucks Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Bucks Harrier » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:00 pm

Fantastic news

Not least because of the timing before the summer to build a squad of his own with his own stamp on it.