New ground back on the agenda?

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: New ground back on the agenda?

Post by tonythescout » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

Agree with all of the above abiut what Aggy brings to the party. Don’t get it unless there is a huge financial benefit.
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the improvements made on Aggy over the last year or so following the cup run. Why use the money for that if moving? Unless it is not for a significant amount of years?
I am very pro the current ownership tho as I’ve said before, the communication from the club isn’t great. And something significant like this does need clarifying, so would be good for the club to issue a statement .

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

North Stand Ultra wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am
At present wyre forest council charge ourselves around £12,000 a year in rent for Aggy - which is dirt cheap.
And there's your problem in a nutshell, any new lease would come with a nice new commercial rent. Historically football stadium rents were based on agricultural land rents but with landlords in the modern age being more savvy its all based on commercial rents now.

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

It would be good to think our council would take into account the various advantages the Harriers bestow on the town:

bringing people in to spend money locally (particularly on the hospitality trade)
adding to a sense of civic identity and pride
putting the town on the map and in the national consciousness (remember when we were famous for a day v West Ham)
inspiring youngsters to play/support sport
providing a focal point for local people to meet

You can probably think of more. But, as the Pirate points out above, such intangibles probably won't come into their calculations and local councils certainly have their own problems to deal with.

I think out-of-town grounds generally lack soul and character and a connection with the towns they once represented. It's great that Kiddy still has a town ground, a stadium so many of the population can walk to. Losing our beloved Aggy would be like having a large chunk of my life wrenched away but that's just sentiment and a respect for the past which, as we know, count for nothing any more.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

While we're on about new grounds:

BTW I'm going to split this off into it's own thread.

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:12 pm

TomLong78 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:27 pm
Mayo wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:00 am
It's likely the ground move was never removed from the agenda, but information / updates just not shared publicly (perhaps for commercially sensitive reasons)
That’s probably right.

What do we know for sure?

1. The lease is running out.
2. This country needs to build a lot more houses.
3. Aggborough and the surrounding land that WFDC
owns would be worth a lot of money if sold for housing.
4. All local authorities in the UK have been underfunded for years and are desperate for money to continue to provide the services they have a statutory obligation to undertake.

All of the above suggests that WFDC should at least be considering the possibility of cashing in on Aggborough, using some of the proceeds to build us a dull new stadium out of town, and using the rest of the proceeds to help keep providing much needed services to local residents.

It would break my heart to see the above happen. But I can see, in the current climate, how and why it might happen.
Nailed it. LA's have been royally shafted.

I 'only' have a 12 year attachment to Aggborough but I love it. It has a character of its own. Even with raised gates we're not hitting capacity (which is 6k isn't it?).
Sam

Morgan
Respect the 4th Official
Respect the 4th Official

Post by Morgan » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:26 pm

Who could possibly have seen this coming?
Colin Gordon supporters seem very keen on his mates who’ve bought the club from him, don’t they? :kissarse: