Questions for Russ Penn

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Questions for Russ Penn

Post by harry211 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:07 pm

Why was preseason so poor? Did he not consider playing a league or National League side?

How did he decide his footballing philosophy? When did he decide that he favoured 4-2-3-1, having played in different systems as a player.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:58 pm

Serious topic to be handled in the right manner: With anti racism messaging being very prominent in football in recent years, continued horrible stories such as John Yems at Crawley etc. what are his thoughts that last season Harriers fielded a predominantly non-white side, managed by a white manager no less, which was never even been remotely highlighted by the club or it's supporters in any way, as it shouldn't.

May sound a bit of an odd question and possibly difficult to navigate, but when you consider that seven or eight of Harriers starting eleven were non white (not normal unfortunately), week-in-week-out, it really is something quite significant.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:22 am

TWG85 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:58 pm
Serious topic to be handled in the right manner: With anti racism messaging being very prominent in football in recent years, continued horrible stories such as John Yems at Crawley etc. what are his thoughts that last season Harriers fielded a predominantly non-white side, managed by a white manager no less, which was never even been remotely highlighted by the club or it's supporters in any way, as it shouldn't.

May sound a bit of an odd question and possibly difficult to navigate, but when you consider that seven or eight of Harriers starting eleven were non white (not normal unfortunately), week-in-week-out, it really is something quite significant.
Possibly the most bizarre post I’ve ever read on here. I’ve read it a number of times and am still not sure what point is being made.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:08 am

Harry Err wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:22 am
TWG85 wrote:

Possibly the most bizarre post I’ve ever read on here. I’ve read it a number of times and am still not sure what point is being made.
Wow. Lol. How enlightening. Perhaps you've should've pondered it a little more. And clearly someone who's lived a very sheltered existance. Excluding me taking the time to search for a better word than "highlighted", I struggle to see how you'd have trouble.

If I really need to bother to expand on my "point", if you'd want to call it that, it's that it's a very good reflection on Russ himself as a person, a coach, the club and it's fanbase. Though I preferred not to lead Russ in a certain direction and just would've liked him to take his own course on a rather difficult topic...

For the past two seasons you have seen players at the top level kneeling before every single kickoff in an effort to promote anti-racism, in the last year there has been a high-profile incident where a manager within the football league has been sacked over accusations of segregating black players, on a weekly basis non-white players remain subject to racist abuse from crowds etc.

Harriers last season, very consistently, featured seven or eight black or mixed race players within it's starting eleven. Now, I don't know about you, but I struggle to come up with too many sides where this is the case across the country. Crystal Palace comes to mind, who themselves have a black manager. Compare with other sides at Harriers level and see what you come up with. Also consider the area and the make-up of the Harriers attendance. It's very white.

What is anti-racism about? It's about equality. This is something that was not even pick-up on or emphasised in anyway, shape or form last season. It was seen as nothing out of the ordinary or anything else for that matter, as it shouldn't. When unfortunately it isn't. This is all very good.

This might not be something you're comfortable with, but is a very legitimate subject.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:26 am

TWG85 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:08 am
Harry Err wrote:
TWG85 wrote:

Wow. Lol. How enlightening. Perhaps you've should've pondered it a little more. And clearly someone who's lived a very sheltered existance. Excluding me taking the time to search for a better word than "highlighted", I struggle to see how you'd have trouble.

If I really need to bother to expand on my "point", if you'd want to call it that, it's that it's a very good reflection on Russ himself as a person, a coach, the club and it's fanbase. Though I preferred not to lead Russ in a certain direction and just would've liked him to take his own course on a rather difficult topic...

For the past two seasons you have seen players at the top level kneeling before every single kickoff in an effort to promote anti-racism, in the last year there has been a high-profile incident where a manager within the football league has been sacked over accusations of segregating black players, on a weekly basis non-white players remain subject to racist abuse from crowds etc.

Harriers last season, very consistently, featured seven or eight black or mixed race players within it's starting eleven. Now, I don't know about you, but I struggle to come up with too many sides where this is the case across the country. Crystal Palace comes to mind, who themselves have a black manager. Compare with other sides at Harriers level and see what you come up with. Also consider the area and the make-up of the Harriers attendance. It's very white.

What is anti-racism about? It's about equality. This is something that was not even pick-up on or emphasised in anyway, shape or form last season. It was seen as nothing out of the ordinary or anything else for that matter, as it shouldn't. When unfortunately it isn't. This is all very good.

This might not be something you're comfortable with, but is a very legitimate subject.
Perhaps more succinctly it could be asked as: What are your thoughts on/experiences of racism in the modern game, if any?

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:49 pm

Well we'll have to wait for Russ' answers to the questions as I had to reschedule the recording - hopefully get it in the can in the not too distant future.
I'm away on holiday next week, but I'll look to get it done relatively quickly, fingers crossed.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:03 pm

ograzebrook wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:26 am
TWG85 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:08 am
Harry Err wrote:
TWG85 wrote:

Perhaps more succinctly it could be asked as: What are your thoughts on/experiences of racism in the modern game, if any?
Well that certainly would've been more subtle, though I don't think it really does things justice.

Likely won't get asked, anyway. At least with the emphasis where I placed it. Nick just asked for questions and rather than the standard ones I thought to myself "here's one of real substance for ya".