The Gaffer

MotM: 16-08-22 Curzon (H) Knight-Percival

Post by Phil » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:15 am

andrewb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: 16-08-22 Curzon (H)

Post by andrewb » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:42 am

Prediction league people - same as for the Leamington match - have gone 27 for the Harriers win and just 1 for a draw !

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:14 pm

Got to start Fremantle.
2-0 win, attendance 1800

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:54 pm

I thought Zak Brown had a good game, but is he the one to miss out if Freemantle starts?

Tough call for RP

Curzon already look like they are in for a struggle again.

My prediction was 4-0 to Harriers optimist that I am .

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:35 pm

I thought Hemmings was probably the most inconsistent performer yesterday, would leave him on the bench so Brown could start. Also, Brown was subbed, we need to learn from last seasons mistake that players are not machines & matches catch up with them.

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:37 pm

Medieval wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:35 pm
I thought Hemmings was probably the most inconsistent performer yesterday, would leave him on the bench so Brown could start. Also, Brown was subbed, we need to learn from last seasons mistake that players are not machines & matches catch up with them.
I think missing the penalty played on his mind as the game wore on, he looked lacking in confidence to take his man on. Doubt Russ will drop him as he is a match winner.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 am

maxspeed wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:37 pm
Medieval wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:35 pm
I think missing the penalty played on his mind as the game wore on, he looked lacking in confidence to take his man on. Doubt Russ will drop him as he is a match winner.
100 percent agree

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:01 pm

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:12 pm

Only three points will do!

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:12 pm

https://twitter.com/khfcofficial/status/1559597234207039488 https://twitter.com/CurzonAshton/status/1559600961374617605

Kiddyharrier22
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Kiddyharrier22 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:50 pm

What a truly dreadful result.. whilst conditions were not great, we need a goalscorer, we are massively missing AMS... Feel harsh to criticise as he scored but Freemantle simply is not clinical enough to play the role imo... Does a hell of alot of running perfect to hold onto a lead, but chasing a game sorry not for me. Need a striker in, pronto.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: MotM: 16-08-22 Curzon (H)

Post by Marcus Garvey » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:38 pm

Oh dear....Presume Freemantle not fully fit.Feel sorry for Brown, thrown in at the deep end and out of position but had a shocker. Presume Lowe was injured and Martin must wonder how he didn't come on tonight. No width, tempo or desire. Looked like 11 strangers in a training exercise. Much work to do based on that. No positives tonight at all.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:45 pm

A very, very poor performance.
We were nowhere near good enough and Curzon deserve their win. They worked harder, wanted it more and were cleverer. And they took their chances. Credit to them. Mahon ran the show and they defended well although it's not as if we gave then that much to worry about.

The obvious point to make is that Ceesay is not a centre forward. He didn't win a header and can't play with his back to goal. He faded as the game went on too. What would you think if you were Ethan Freemantle? Is he not fit enough to start? Because he's had to watch us draw a blank on Saturday and then watch as he, our only fit recognised striker, is again left on the bench. He came on, made an impact, scored a goal and hit the bar. I'd be asking the manager what else I need to do.

Hemmings, TOE and Brown were very disappointing. Passing was sloppy, movement was poor, we were too slow of thinking, and were second to balls. They pressed us and we weren't good enough to play round them. Often being too slow in our approach play meaning they just had to be disciplined and block the attempt at a final pass .
Brown showed a little more I suppose. TOE - has he been sent from Hereford to sabotage us? He's got to do a lot more.
Hemmings' distribution was terrible. In fact most crosses were poor. What do we do all week?

The referee lost the plot. Curzon did what sides do in this league and agitated and influenced. But it's not the ref's fault we lost. Anyone seen evidence of Byrne telling everyone what he thinks yet? Maybe it'll happen behind closed doors - it needs to. That wasn't good enough.
I don't want players and a management team who are ill disciplined but at the end of the game we just stood looking sorry for ourselves. No one had anything to say to the ref. There was a lack of passion. Yes, I'm sure they do care, and Foulkes and Richards as always come out with credit (and the centre halves) but after two home games, one point and one goal against modest opposition please don't come on and tell me it's a long season. I don't think we have any right to beat Curzon or Leamington but I'm bored of playing part-time sides who do this to us. Perhaps playing some sides like Curzon pre season would have helped instead of under 20s from Liverpool.

We lacked any momentum at the back end of last season and this is not a good start. Lots of work for Russ to do. Im sure he knows it.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:06 pm

Was not there tonight - but all sounds very concerning and a shrewd observation on preseason - which were concerns raised at the time.

Better to lose the game at this stage of the season third game in rather than third game from the end, but not good in any case.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:23 pm

Just got back home to Shrewsbury with my lad after a thoroughly depressing night and a quiet drive home.

We lost that in the first half. We were so lethargic in that first 45. We invited Curzon to take charge, and although their goal was their only shot on target you couldn't argue with the scoreline at the break.

I have no issue with Byrne, Lowe and the centre backs keeping possession and try and probe for a way through a packed defence. But what did they have to work with? The front four were all dreadful first half. Zero movement, bullied off the ball when they got it and panicked when pressed. You can't compete with just seven players, but that's all we had first half.

To me, the attitude was one of "we just need to turn up and play like Saturday and we'll walk it". It stank. Ceesay and TOE trying clever flicks and giving the ball away in the first few minutes set the tone. I don't know if it's arrogance, but sone of our flair players seem to want to show off rather than get the basics right and thread so e simple passes together. This seemed beyond the front four most of the night.

The half time rocket seemed to do the trick, and we should a greater tempo and put them under more pressure in the first two minutes of the second half than we did the whole of the first.

The second goal is a shambolic decision by the ref when NKP was clearly fouled and then the cross went where he would normally have been. But at least we showed a little fight afterwards and almost clawed it back. You couldn't have begrudged us scraping a point - Hemmings' chance was our moment, great save by the keeper - but we wouldn't have deserved anymore.

Disappointed that Lowe came off. If tactical it was a bit naive, as all our football disappeared and we started chucking the ball forward hopefully with our out of form front players plus Ethan.

The ref turned the game into a circus second half, no doubt. He lost the plot and Curzon had him their pocket. Key decisions, including the second goal, all went their way. The inconsistency depending on the colour of shirt a player wore was maddening, as well as incorrectly overruling his assistant.

But if we had turned up and been ahead it wouldn't have happened. In truth, we lost our heads too, and that's the most disappointing part. We can only control what we fo - and it was well short tonight.

Hoping they get it out of their system and bounce back on Saturday.