End of an Era.

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

End of an Era.

Post by garthrockett » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:05 pm

"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Re: End of an Era.

Post by centreforeword » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:57 am

Lost its relevance with the emerging predominance of smartphones etc

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:24 pm

Where to begin?

It's a ludicrous decision. Stupid. Short-sighted. Forgetting what the BBC is there for. And I say this as someone in their target demographic (on paper) and who thinks it's a bloody good institution and worth paying for.

But this?!

The BBC has said that it is a necessary cut because it has got the rights for the 5:30pm game. This doesn't stack up, as until about a decade ago it had the 5:30KO and James Alexander Gordon was still inflecting upwards and downwards as he read the classifieds out.

The fact is the BBC should be catering to the whole nation. That's why I begdrugingly put up with the Squad on a Sunday taking up airtime, or that diabolical Chris Stark/Scott Mills show on a Saturday morning (Danny Baker leaving was his own stupid fault, but they've never replaced him properly). It might not be my cup of tea, but it's someones, and the point is that it should be there for as many of us as possible. The ultimate give and take. Just don't mess with what I like about it.

Until now, when they have. The thing about the classifieds was that it was one of the few 'appointment to listen' moments for football fans. In the winter I fondly remember getting into my Grandad's car, post-match, twist the dial for the heater, press the button for the radio to come on, and there you would have the soundtrack to the journey home. Yes time has moved on, but the last time I checked you shouldn't have your phone on to scroll through scores while driving. It also has that wonderful roundup of the scores, from Carlisle to Carmarthen, Arsenal to Arbroath, Manchester United to Morecambe. A service to the whole nation. The British Broadcasting Corporation.

What will we get instead? Three minutes chopped up into 20 second clips of what Bruno Lage thinks about Wolves drawing to Newcastle. Who cares? Who does that serve? There is more to the footballing pyramid than the Premier League and a select few Championship games.

I'm angry about it, truth be told. The point of tradition is that sometimes it's been there for a long time, feels like it always has, binds us together and harms nobody. This falls into that category. They haven't gained anything by dropping it. There might be a U-turn, but let's be honest, the BBC and radio controllers now really don't know what they want to do with sports coverage or radio more widely. I listen to the radio a lot (again, at 29 I'm bang in the middle of what the target audience should be), and across the BBC Network there's changes for the worse. Money thrown at podcasts that attract a tiny fringe audience because some higher-up has decided that they want to get 18-21 olds. It's desperate, and this fits into that.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:28 pm

harry211 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:24 pm
Where to begin?

It's a ludicrous decision. Stupid. Short-sighted. Forgetting what the BBC is there for. And I say this as someone in their target demographic (on paper) and who thinks it's a bloody good institution and worth paying for.

But this?!

The BBC has said that it is a necessary cut because it has got the rights for the 5:30pm game. This doesn't stack up, as until about a decade ago it had the 5:30KO and James Alexander Gordon was still inflecting upwards and downwards as he read the classifieds out.

The fact is the BBC should be catering to the whole nation. That's why I begdrugingly put up with the Squad on a Sunday taking up airtime, or that diabolical Chris Stark/Scott Mills show on a Saturday morning (Danny Baker leaving was his own stupid fault, but they've never replaced him properly). It might not be my cup of tea, but it's someones, and the point is that it should be there for as many of us as possible. The ultimate give and take. Just don't mess with what I like about it.

Until now, when they have. The thing about the classifieds was that it was one of the few 'appointment to listen' moments for football fans. In the winter I fondly remember getting into my Grandad's car, post-match, twist the dial for the heater, press the button for the radio to come on, and there you would have the soundtrack to the journey home. Yes time has moved on, but the last time I checked you shouldn't have your phone on to scroll through scores while driving. It also has that wonderful roundup of the scores, from Carlisle to Carmarthen, Arsenal to Arbroath, Manchester United to Morecambe. A service to the whole nation. The British Broadcasting Corporation.

What will we get instead? Three minutes chopped up into 20 second clips of what Bruno Lage thinks about Wolves drawing to Newcastle. Who cares? Who does that serve? There is more to the footballing pyramid than the Premier League and a select few Championship games.

I'm angry about it, truth be told. The point of tradition is that sometimes it's been there for a long time, feels like it always has, binds us together and harms nobody. This falls into that category. They haven't gained anything by dropping it. There might be a U-turn, but let's be honest, the BBC and radio controllers now really don't know what they want to do with sports coverage or radio more widely. I listen to the radio a lot (again, at 29 I'm bang in the middle of what the target audience should be), and across the BBC Network there's changes for the worse. Money thrown at podcasts that attract a tiny fringe audience because some higher-up has decided that they want to get 18-21 olds. It's desperate, and this fits into that.
Well said Harry, I agree with every word.

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:09 am

harry211 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:24 pm
the last time I checked you shouldn't have your phone on to scroll through scores while driving. It also has that wonderful roundup of the scores, from Carlisle to Carmarthen, Arsenal to Arbroath, Manchester United to Morecambe.
Takes 30 seconds to google all the scores you are interested in before you start the engine and to be honest personally I have little interest in hearing the result of Carlisle United v Swindon Town or Forfar Athletic v Elgin City and the like for 15 minutes on a Saturday evening

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:24 am

Takes 30 seconds to google all the scores you are interested in before you start the engine and to be honest personally I have little interest in hearing the result of Carlisle United v Swindon Town or Forfar Athletic v Elgin City and the like for 15 minutes on a Saturday evening
Im a East Stirling fan, so I do like a quick summary on the way home from Aggborough. :D

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:55 pm

We will never hear them say East Fife five Forfar four again :(

Morgan
Respect the 4th Official
Respect the 4th Official

Post by Morgan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:14 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:24 am
Im a East Stirling fan, so I do like a quick summary on the way home from Aggborough. :D
You won’t have heard anything about league fixtures involving East Stirling on Sports Report for several years.
Colin Gordon supporters seem very keen on his mates who’ve bought the club from him, don’t they? :kissarse:

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:55 pm

You won’t have heard anything about league fixtures involving East Stirling on Sports Report for several years.
on the contrary, they did a decent 20 minute special on the prennial underacheivers just a few months ago. :D

Delph Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Delph Harrier » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:07 pm

TALKSPORT have stepped in and will now offer the full classifieds at 5.00pm Saturdays.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:48 pm

TALKSPORT have stepped in and will now offer the full classifieds at 5.00pm Saturdays
:scarf: :worthy: