New players / trialists / rumours 1

I've put all the more interesting old threads in here so they can still be seen following the board overhaul in October 2008. It'll be read only.

Moderator: Phil

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: New players / trialists / rumours. PLEASE KEEP SIGNINGS TO THIS THREAD

Post by HarrierN2 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:35 pm

Krasnyi wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:35 pm
A quick look at the Hereford forum indicates that they didn’t rate our new signing particularly and care little about him going.
Yep, it's a touch worrying. Fingers crossed he gets fitter and sharper with us. Pace sounds an issue.

Simple simon
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Simple simon » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 am

Got to hope his discipline improves. Bit disappointing if that was one of our targets for this season,

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:41 am

Krasnyi wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:35 pm
A quick look at the Hereford forum indicates that they didn’t rate our new signing particularly and care little about him going.
I've seen mixed comments re him from them. I am sure some of the comments are bathed in bitterness that they are losing players to little old us.
The worrying thing is his lack of pace.

Thought this was interesting:
"Taught the lads a good lot of timewasting black arts - he brought in the 'whole team runs to celebrate a goal' thing, closely followed by the 'someone stops to tie their laces on the way back' thing."
And a hint of a fall out with Gowling after the sending off v us.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:17 am

I guess wait until the squad is completed but I would hope he is the potential back up. I would agree with Sheff that we need another striker plus a 'Carrington' type midfielder and 1st choice centre half if Cameron does indeed depart. Surely a quality loan or two will also come in...then I'd be reasonably happy with business. Oh with a bit of cover for the defence/full backs too!

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:06 pm

With Austin, Bajrami and Sterling going within the space of 24 hours it all seems to be going horribly wrong 😱

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:13 am

centreforeword wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:06 pm
With Austin, Bajrami and Sterling going within the space of 24 hours it all seems to be going horribly wrong 😱
Apart from that we had already signed replacements in all their positions

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:00 am

Really? Did anyone expect them to stop? Once we signed Evans it seemed as though he was always Austin's replacement. Baj was always going and again Sterling replacement already signed. I would like Cameron to stop but clearly something going on in the background we don't know about. Still in the same position as 24 hours ago, need more quality in key positions but in previous seasons the kitty had always been empty....
Austin was great but struggled against physical teams and don't recall him making an impact against the likes of Fylde, Brackley etc.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:23 am

centreforeword wrote:
Russ will have known and he's already made signings and there'll be more to come.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:32 am

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:13 am
centreforeword wrote:
Indeed. It was fairly obvious they were replacements rather than additions. I admit that a small part of me hoped they were additions, but it was hope rather than expectation.

The club did a good PR job announcing the replacements first, but I think we have to accept that the overall quality of the squad will be similar to last year. Still a while to go, but I think we'll have a strong first eleven, but limited back-up, just as last season. If the stars aline, that might be enough, but probably won't be. That said, Russ proved last year he could use the loan market to good effect. We also saw how one player could make a massive difference. Serendipity is often the biggest determinant of success or failure, even though resources and skill stack the odds.

Cameron seems to have injury issues, and I suspect his offer of reduced terms is due to the risk he might miss a significant number of games. Harsh, but realistic. Hopefully he'll stay, but I won't be surprised if he ends up playing a full season elsewhere, with his injury-free high quality replacement breaking their leg in their second game. That's football.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:35 am

centreforeword wrote:

Yeah, I was a massive fan of Sam and OSJ, but we've signed two very like-for-like players in Ceesay and TOE, both who have more physicality. Next batch of signings will be key, but so far I'm really happy with how things are going.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:10 am

spitalfields wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:32 am
centreforeword wrote:
Indeed. It was fairly obvious they were replacements rather than additions. I admit that a small part of me hoped they were additions, but it was hope rather than expectation.

The club did a good PR job announcing the replacements first, but I think we have to accept that the overall quality of the squad will be similar to last year. Still a while to go, but I think we'll have a strong first eleven, but limited back-up, just as last season. If the stars aline, that might be enough, but probably won't be. That said, Russ proved last year he could use the loan market to good effect. We also saw how one player could make a massive difference. Serendipity is often the biggest determinant of success or failure, even though resources and skill stack the odds.

Cameron seems to have injury issues, and I suspect his offer of reduced terms is due to the risk he might miss a significant number of games. Harsh, but realistic. Hopefully he'll stay, but I won't be surprised if he ends up playing a full season elsewhere, with his injury-free high quality replacement breaking their leg in their second game. That's football.
Think alot depends on both how Russ plans to play and just how good this Zak Brown is. If he sticks with the 4-3-3 you've got a choice of Hemmings, Ceesay, Owen-Evans and Tolley out wide, plus Brown who from some clips looks like he can play there, Freemantle if need be. Brown and Owen-Evans could both plays as eights along with Martin, with Lowe anchoring the midfield. And I think we all expect a destroyer in the middle-of-the-park with some physical presence to come in, to balance things out. There's quite a lot of flexibility there.

Robbo
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:14 am

Overall, I am pleased with the squad we have assembled to date. We all would have liked players to stay, but thats football. We made offers to bajrami, sterling and white, all have rejected and chosen other options whether for financial reasons or to progress to higher divisions.

Austin was contracted and Notts County triggered his release clause, not a lot the club can do other than wish him well. Not very often we get money for players these days so can say its good business by the club.

We're also still in June and haven't even reported back for pre season, so to have a good base of the squad already signed is quite rare in the 20 years ive supported the club.

All in all, im looking forward to seeing the new players gel over pre season and future signings we hope to bring in.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:46 am

spitalfields wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:32 am
centreforeword wrote:

Good post.

Yes, perhaps I am forgetting that we will probably need to make effective use of the loan market. Can obviously be hit and miss.

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:44 pm

Without Austin, Bajrami, Cameron and Sterling who were some of our best players, this coming season is going to be more of a struggle.

No 2 ways about it IMO.

A number of the replacements so far are not of the same calibre

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:48 pm

The last two months of this season were a struggle with all four of them.

My feeling is that RP is aiming for a slightly more physical and robust squad better equipped to deal with this league.