Released or Retained

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

S2RKK
Subs bench
Subs bench

Released or Retained

Post by S2RKK » Sat May 14, 2022 4:59 pm

Now comes the time of the season which is probably the worst time for players as they think have i got a job for next season.

We have so far retained
Austin
Bastable
Freemantle
Hemmings
Lissimore
Martin
Morgan-Smith
Penny
Richards

That to me that is a good nucleus but is there anybody else we should keep or is there anybody we should definately let go.

I know we would all like to keep Bajrami but i think he will be moving up the leagues.

Are any of the loan players we would like back?

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Released or Retained

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sat May 14, 2022 8:58 pm

I'd like Foulkes back, depends if he's going to challenge for a place in Walsall's first team or if they want him to get experience in the Conference.

Can't see Nolan, Panter or Redmond being retained - I think the management have had a look but they are going to be squad fillers at best.

Would love to see the Matt Preston we saw in his loan dell back, but depends how the injury has affected him. He'll need to have a chance to prove his fitness.

In terms of the rest of our playing squad... and this is controversial... I can see Simpson going. Surely Tom Palmer is going to be expected to at least challenge for the first team next season. If we need to make savings to bolster the quality of the squad elsewhere... I'm a big fan of Luke, he's a fantastic shot stopper, but he doesn't command his area at all and that was evident against Boston. Don't want him to go, but i don't think there's a guarantee he will stay.

In terms of releasing players, perhaps OSJ, Carrington and Montrose will go. Really not sure what the decision will be on Cliff Moyo either. Sterling is a tough one, he has such vision but when he and Hemmo are playing for themselves we really do lose all effectiveness as an attacking force.

Carra was mega for us until February and still justifiably is in the starting XI, but will he still have the legs? Can only see him bring a squad player if he stays next year, we need to look for a strong and athletic midfielder to play alongside Keziah Martin with Carra possibly as back up? I just don't think Montrose has done enough.
Last edited by Swansea Harrier on Sat May 14, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sat May 14, 2022 9:07 pm

Woof. Tough Decisions....

Definitely Keep

Carrington: Great steady player in the middle of park, class above between the ears, tidy in possession, good defensively, generally consistent, you sense he's a good character, plenty of experience and know how. Maybe will play a few less games being a year older, in six months he may seem a little slower and less athletic and you need the right partner for him in a two, but feel well worth another contract.

Moyo: May come as a surprise but wouldn't mind some loyalty towards him the year he's had. Seems a good character and a handy utility man in a small squad. Able to play right back, centre half or as a holding midfielder. There'll be some who'll question whether he's injury prone, question how good he may be after serious injuries and he wouldn't be a starter regulary, but I'd take a chance and keep him as a squad player if he's interested. Also for the sake of not too much turnover within the backline.

Emery: I don't expect he's on very much. If he's happy to stick around as a back-up keeper on a similar contract. Sure. Why not?

Conflicted

Simpson: On the positive side a real good shot stopper, brave, good age, seems a good character, great committment with where he travels from. On the negative side I do get quite annoyed by his kicking and dawdling, plus a little on the diminutive side as far as a keeper, when I do prefer a big lad. Other thing is, as I mentioned in another thread, you do get the sense he's not on too much. Given him being a replacement for a young loanee, it being a bit lastminute.com and initially being bought in for a couple of months. Budget would be a factor in my decision and what else is available. Would definitely take him over a young loanee.

Cameron: Real good centre half at this level, plenty of experience, great pedigree, good character, great size, great physique. Only negative for me is he has had issues with injuries during his career, hence why he's made his way down to this level. Don't think you can necessarily depend on him to stay fit, and if that's the case, you need good strength and depth at centre half. Again, influenced by the budget. Probably a good earner.

Sterling: May be a little futile as I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone higher up takes a chance on him, given some of his qualities. And I expect he's thinking the same. Touch, technique, passing, vision, crossing, set-pieces which far exceed this level. Hasn't had the best end to the season and I understand a few being a little frosty after Boston, where he didn't really show up, but was fantastic during the middle of the season, is Harriers most creative player and on his day a match winner.

On the negative side, he's not the most determined figure. When Harriers are up against it and not dictating the game, he's not someone who really digs in. Also he doesn't really embrace physicality, is not overly durable and not blessed with the greatest physique. He's not really built for non-league. Additionally, he's not the quickest. He's not slow, especially for this level, but he's not gonna leave anyone in the dust. In an ideal world you'd bring in another quality wide man and chop-and-change between he, them and Ash. But is that possible? I expect he's a decent earner. That word again. Budget.

Palmer: How good is he now? Is he good enough to move to number one? Is he happy to stick around as number two? Is he happy to stick around under the same arrangement as this year? All unanswered questions.

Probably Best They Move On

Montrose: Thought he was good the covid season. Many seemed to like him. Plenty of experience, good character, handy in a battle, good size and physique. However he has had trouble with injuries and he's never gonna be embraced by sections of the fanbase. People expect more athleticism from full-time players and aren't a fan of his safe and simple choices of passing. Probably a good earner as well.

White: I really like Jaiden. I've made no bones about that and think he has potential. Some say he's not good enough for this level, but they weren't saying that after Leamington at home or Fylde away, earlier in the season. But does Russ fancy him and will he ever play him more? I'm not so sure. And if that's the case, I think it's best he goes elsewhere and looks to further his career. Even if that's in the form of an initial backwards step. In an ideal world I'd say tie him down to a long-term deal, get him a loan next year with someone willing to take on his wages and see if he develops, akin to Tom Palmer. But is that a possibility? I'm not convinced. Jack Tolley could easily fill his role and I'm sure people would enjoy the novelty.

Bell: What needs to be said? Clearly a bad egg and disruptive in the dressing room. Russ has said as much without uttering his name. Bridges been burnt it seems and would want something different from the third striker.
Last edited by TWG85 on Sat May 14, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sat May 14, 2022 9:18 pm

TWG85 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:07 pm
Woof. Tough Decisions....

Definitely Keep

Carrington: Great steady player in the middle of park, class above between the ears, tidy in possession, good defensively, generally consistent, you sense he's a good character, plenty of experience and know how. Maybe will play a few less games being a year older, in six months he may seem a little slower and less athletic and you need the right partner for him in a two, but feel well worth another contract.

Moyo: May come as a surprise but wouldn't mind some loyalty towards him the year he's had. Seems a good character and a handy utility man in a small squad. Able to play right back, centre half or as a holding midfielder. There'll be some who'll question whether he's injury prone, question how good he may be after serious injuries and he wouldn't be a starter regulary, but I'd take a chance and keep him as a squad player if he's interested. Also for the sake of not too much turnover within the backline.

Emery: I don't expect he's on very much. If he's happy to stick around as a back-up keeper on a similar contract. Sure. Why not?

Conflicted

Simpson: On the positive side a real good shot stopper, brave, good age, seems a good character, great committment with he travels from. On the negative side I do get quite annoyed by his kicking and dawdling, plus a little on the diminutive side as far as a keeper, when I do prefer a big lad.
Other thing is, as I mentioned in another thread, you do get the sense he's not on too much. Given him being a replacement for a young loanee, it being a bit lastminute.com and initally being bought in for a couple of months. Budget would be a factor in my decision and what else is available. Would definitely take him over a young loanee.

Cameron: Real good centre half at this level, plenty of experience, great pedigree, good character, great size, great physique. Only negative for me is he has had issues with injuries during his career, hence why he's made his way down to this level. Don't think you can necessarily depend on him to stay fit, and if that's the case, you need good strength and depth at centre half. Again, influenced by the budget. Probably a good earner.

Sterling: May be a little futile as I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone higher up takes a chance on him, given some of his qualities. And I expect he's thinking the same. Touch, technique, passing, vision, crossing, set-pieces which far exceed this level. Hasn't had the best end to the season and I understand a few being a little frosty after Boston, where he didn't really show up, but was fantastic during the middle of the season, is Harriers most creative player and on his day a match winner.

On the negative side, he's not the most determined figure. When Harriers are up against it and not dictating the game, he's not someone who really digs in. Also he doesn't really embrace physicality, is not overly durable and not blessed with the greatest physique. He's not really built for non-league. Additionally, he's not the quickest. He's not slow, especially for this level, but he's not gonna leave anyone in the dust. In an ideal world you'd bring in another quality wide man and chop-and-change between he, them and Ash. But is that possible? I expect he's a decent earner. That word again. Budget.

Palmer: How good is he now? Is he good enough to move to number one? Is he happy to stick around as number two? Is he happy to stick around under the same arrangement as this year? All unanswered questions.

Probably Best They Move On

Montrose: Thought he was good the covid season. Many seemed to like him. Plenty of experience, good character, handy in a battle, good size and physique. However he has had trouble with injuries and he's never gonna be embraced by sections of the fanbase. People expect more athleticism from full-time players and aren't a fan of his safe and simple choices of passing. Probably a good earner as well.

White: I really like Jaiden. I've made no bones about that and think he has potential. Some say he's not good enough for this level, but they weren't saying that after Leamington at home or Fylde away, earlier in the season. But does Russ fancy him and will he ever play him more? I'm not so sure. And if that's the case, I think it's best he goes elsewhere and looks to further his career. Even if that's in the form of an inital backwards step. In an ideal world I'd say tie him down to a long-term deal, get him a loan next year with someone willing to take on his wages and see if he develops, akin to Tom Palmer. But is that a possibility? I'm not convinced. Jack Tolley could easily fill his role and I'm sure people would enjoy the novelty.

Bell: What needs to be said? Clearly a bad egg and disruptive in the dressing room. Russ has said as much without uttering his name. Bridges been burnt it seems and would want something different from the third striker.
Great post! 👍

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sat May 14, 2022 9:26 pm

Stay

Cameron
Bajrami
OSJ

Go

Simpson
Carrington
Montrose
White
All the loan players

millzeuk
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by millzeuk » Sat May 14, 2022 10:12 pm

Retain:
Simpson
Cameron
Bajrami (as if!)
Emery

Release:-
White
Carrington
OSJ
Moyo
Palmer
Montrose

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sun May 15, 2022 7:50 am

I’m not sure why we tied Martin down, he does a job but he’s an average player for this level. Be a good squad player for us but isn’t the answer. I love Carrington but I think there is some question marks over his fitness/legs now but with his experience and he can play a couple of positions I’d defo keep him. He was brilliant until February time. Midfield is an issue for me. Redmond hasn’t pulled up any trees during his loan spell which is a shame given his pedigree. We haven’t really replaced Bonds and have missed him. Montrose as turned into a squad player and presume he isn’t cheap. Preston is a bigger miss than we all thought though the rumour is we are bringing him back, brilliant if true especially with Baj most likely going on to pastures new. Stirling is too lazy for me and to be honest, displaying that trait in a game like Thursday simply isn’t on so I think he’ll be moved on and correctly so. It isn’t the first time he’s been like it.
Simpson over all has had a decent season. Could we get better with our budget? Probably not. He’s worth another year. Palmer too. Even though he’s probably coming up to his testimonial year the fact he’s had a decent loan spell the league below and he’s probably cheap he’s worth keeping for another year.
Cameron is massive for us and has to stay. Moyo it’s a shame but he doesn’t get in the 11 for me and probably best being moved on. Plus there will be question marks on him being the same player when eventually fit.
White id keep but farm out on loan. He and Fremantle aren’t going to get better by playing 15mins here and there. Give them 6 months on loan league below they’ll come back better for it which will only benefit us.
Retain:
Simpson
Palmer
Cameron
Bajrami (well at least try)
Carrington
White (but send on loan for 6 months)

Release:-
White
Emery
OSJ
Moyo
Montrose

Look to sign: 3 centre halves (one first team) 3 central midfielders (two for first 11) striker winger attacking midfielder.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun May 15, 2022 2:12 pm

Look to sign: 3 centre halves (one first team) 3 central midfielders (two for first 11) striker winger attacking midfielder.
Who was that huge Abou Sall lookalike centre back we trialled in the friendlies last July? Thought he was good enough for a contract.
RP and JOC seem more than capable to sort the wheat from the chaff close season, which always hasnt been the case with previous coaches (remember Albrighton or Geohagen? :shock: )

Agree with the above, a centre back who can organise defending set pieces, a "spreader" (like Weeks) in m/f , plus a impact player for the last 20 mins when 1-0 down.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sun May 15, 2022 7:28 pm

Retain:
Simpson or Palmer depending on who is better overall.
Cameron
Bajrami (well at least try)
Carrington
Emery
Moyo (subject to fitness & cost)

Release:
White (needs regular football)
OSJ
Montrose

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Mon May 16, 2022 10:01 am

I haven't thought through a long post but I'm surprised at the wish to release OSJ. Yes, he's a bit patchy but personally I think he's very classy at this level.
Sam

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Mon May 16, 2022 10:11 am

Id definitely be trying to keep hold of Simpson. Don’t want to be going back down the hole of young loanee keepers now we have an established #1

I get both sides with OSJ. Whatever happens, I think that’ll be a 50/50 split.

Martin has kicked on, given that we were all surprised that he even got a deal for this season. The trouble with comparing to Bonds is we were a “get fit” option for Cheltenham - he went back and got straight into a League One outfit.

Cameron is worth another year. Solid defender, yes he’s had a couple of injury issues but I’d rather have him than not. We’re not gonna keep Bajrami, as much as we’d love to, so I think we need to try and keep one of that partnership and/or experienced head with Lowe gone as well.

I think it’s more slight adjustments than a complete overhaul
He who dares...wins

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:57 am

Not sure why on earth anyone is talking about letting Simpson go. Have they taken leave of their senses? He's kept a huge amount of clean sheets and very reliable. The idea we'll get anybody better is fanciful, at best.

Otherwise:

Retain:
Simpson (obviously!)
Cameron (solid, experienced, not sure why you'd let him go)
Bajrami (if only, can we just offer him a deal to get compo)
White (yes, need to get him out on loan)

Release:
Moyo (very injury prone, probably on a good wage. Cruel, but fair)
Montrose (not playing enough and not having enough of an impact when he does. Getting on, on a fair wage)
Redmond (not really impressed, sadly, shame)

Either way:
Palmer (cheap)
Emery (cheap)
Martin (cheap, and probably kicking on, but not progressed second half of the season as we'd hope)
OSJ (has been extraordinary this season at times, but also blown very cold as well. Felt increasingly this season like a luxury player as it wore on. Probably why he's at this level. Instinct would be to keep him, but depending on his wage/whether we can get any better, happy for it to go either way)
Carrington (at the start of the season it felt like his legs were still okay. By the end, particularly against Boston, they seemed to have gone. A great player, Rolls Royce, and while they aren't known for their acceleration either, when the engine's gone, it's best to get another model)

On a related note - not sure I fully get behind the clamour, sentimentality apart, for Preston. No point signing him on a £500pw contact for a year when he might not play, or be as good. Sorry, and that is very cruel, but also reality. We have a tight budget, and as we've seen with an inability to let White out on loan, we can't have players on the books that we can't play. Isn't he still under contract as Solihull? Let them pick up the bill and maybe get him back on loan initially once he starts training again. Paying money and signing him would be foolhardy.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:12 am

harry211 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:57 am
Not sure why on earth anyone is talking about letting Simpson go. Have they taken leave of their senses? He's kept a huge amount of clean sheets and very reliable. The idea we'll get anybody better is fanciful, at best.

Otherwise:

Retain:
Simpson (obviously!)
Cameron (solid, experienced, not sure why you'd let him go)
Bajrami (if only, can we just offer him a deal to get compo)
White (yes, need to get him out on loan)

Release:
Moyo (very injury prone, probably on a good wage. Cruel, but fair)
Montrose (not playing enough and not having enough of an impact when he does. Getting on, on a fair wage)
Redmond (not really impressed, sadly, shame)

Either way:
Palmer (cheap)
Emery (cheap)
Martin (cheap, and probably kicking on, but not progressed second half of the season as we'd hope)
OSJ (has been extraordinary this season at times, but also blown very cold as well. Felt increasingly this season like a luxury player as it wore on. Probably why he's at this level. Instinct would be to keep him, but depending on his wage/whether we can get any better, happy for it to go either way)
Carrington (at the start of the season it felt like his legs were still okay. By the end, particularly against Boston, they seemed to have gone. A great player, Rolls Royce, and while they aren't known for their acceleration either, when the engine's gone, it's best to get another model)

On a related note - not sure I fully get behind the clamour, sentimentality apart, for Preston. No point signing him on a £500pw contact for a year when he might not play, or be as good. Sorry, and that is very cruel, but also reality. We have a tight budget, and as we've seen with an inability to let White out on loan, we can't have players on the books that we can't play. Isn't he still under contract as Solihull? Let them pick up the bill and maybe get him back on loan initially once he starts training again. Paying money and signing him would be foolhardy.
For me the decision is Palmer or Simpson, I'm completely 50/50 on this Palmer had a very good season at Rushall it seemsand I don't see him wanting to sit on the bench all season again. From the one game I saw Palmer play his distribution was far superior to Simpsons but we didn't get to see what he was like as a shot stopper really.

I think of all the decisions Penn has to make this is the toughest

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:29 pm

Surely a new goalkeeper is also an option. We're not operating on pennies.

So the choice is Simpson / Palmer or A N Other.

I think Simpson has had a great season, but I can see the attraction of a bigger keeper who dominates the box more.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Mon May 16, 2022 2:12 pm

Simpson has been great this season, won us plenty of points. He is not the reason we didn't progress.